Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2016/17 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Ok as I've just arrived for winter and more importantly the resort opens Saturday for Toussaint it seems a good time to start a new thread.

Links
http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Les-Deux-Alpes/?lang=en - Forecast
http://www.les2alpes.com/en/ - Official Site
http://www.2alpesnet.com/ - Alternative Site
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/ski-transfer/grenoble-airport-les-deux-alpes-transfers/ - Transfers from Grenoble Airport
http://www.2alpesnet.com/buses - Lyon and Geneva to Grenoble shuttles and local buses to resort
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120415

- Latest on road to La Grave, Serre Chevalier, etc. New tunnel now closed again so that it can bé complèted. Relief road reopened.

If you want British instruction there are several options -
- Easiski (Charlotte) has been here a long time and has many SH fans
- European Ski School have several British instructors. Alex Chapman who's a SH and several friends have had great lessons with her and Ian Huyton who several friends rate highly too. I think ESS are having one more Brit stagiaire too.
- BASS Rod Frazer who is highly rated.
- all other schools, ESF, ESI, Firstrax and Évolution 2, have other English speaking French and Italian instructors. Some I know personally are very fluent.
- for off piste adventures any of the above but Damien Albert is probably the best especially if you want really gnarly.

For those interested English Football is shown in the Red Frog (open all day) and the Secret Bar (although not open all day so prob not lunchtime kick offs).

If you decide you want to buy boots in resort Cedric at Jacques Sports is highly recommended. He did mine the winter before last and did a grand job.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 9-03-17 17:56; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking up the mountain earlier this morning (it's now shrouded with cloud) there is fresh stuff above about 2500m. Should be great conditions on the glacier for Toussaint. I'll post some photos as soon as conditions allow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any snowhead out there ever use Firsttrax ski school in LDA?

I'm renting an apartment from Lungostyle Apartments over the Xmas hols, who seem to be affiliated to the ski school. At first glance on their website the private lesson rates seem pretty reasonable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@debtors#2, I've not used them but know them. They are all Italian I think but all with very good English. Lungo is Luca who instructs too. His partner Sarah is English.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just in case anyone is coming this way over next few weeks. Disruption due to safety work.

http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/acces-aux-2-alpes.html

RD cut 1091 for securing cliff, at a place called "Infernet" close to Freney.

From October 20, 2016: road closed from 7:00 to 7:30, from 8:00 to 8:30, from 9:00 to 9:30, from 10:00 to 10:30, from 11am to 11:30, 13H at 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., 15H at 3:30 p.m. ET to 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m..
These traffic restrictions measures will apply until Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:00. They will be followed by a series of cuts in half duplex by floor until November 25, 2016 at 12:00.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lifts opened today for Toussaint until 1st November. Just the glacier open and conditions were superb. Not too busy, plenty of race teams and the 4 or 5 others I spoke to on the T bar were all up from Grenoble for the day. Enough snow to get down to 2600 although completely unpisted and a fair few were doing it.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello...

As it seems, this winter season I'll be visiting L2A for the first time. Since I am slowly transferring myself from on-piste only to a more off-piste skier, I am interesting in off-piste lessons (two to three day half day lessons). Since all my friends are in upper league (I don't want to slow them down during our visit) and since the private lessons are very expensive, I would like to join a group of 4-5 skiers doing a course. Is this even possible? Do ski schools in L2A offer this type of off-piste lessons?

I can ski any type of piste without any problems (technique and form maybe not the prettiest) and I have some off-piste experience -> from top of La Masse in Les Menuires to the Lac Du Lou (http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/50867/en/lac-du-lou-via-la-masse) in brilliant 30-40 cm champagne powder. I did fell few times and i did the route very back-seated.

Can someone recommend me a good school with off-piste group lessons?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@matejp, I'd try contacting European Ski School and BASS to see whether they have anything that week. ESF probably will but may not necessarily cater for English speakers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting ready to open after the fresh snow of the last days

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep I'm going up today about 11 or so I think 😀 Tomorrow too probably as I'm doing other things over the week-end and early next week 😃
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
matejp wrote:
Hello...

As it seems, this winter season I'll be visiting L2A for the first time. Since I am slowly transferring myself from on-piste only to a more off-piste skier, I am interesting in off-piste lessons (two to three day half day lessons). Since all my friends are in upper league (I don't want to slow them down during our visit) and since the private lessons are very expensive, I would like to join a group of 4-5 skiers doing a course. Is this even possible? Do ski schools in L2A offer this type of off-piste lessons?

I can ski any type of piste without any problems (technique and form maybe not the prettiest) and I have some off-piste experience -> from top of La Masse in Les Menuires to the Lac Du Lou (http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/50867/en/lac-du-lou-via-la-masse) in brilliant 30-40 cm champagne powder. I did fell few times and i did the route very back-seated.

Can someone recommend me a good school with off-piste group lessons?

I'd second Rod at BASS. I had piste lessons with him which were supposed to be part of a group (up to six in a group) but ended up only being my wife and I. I was really impressed with the lessons, we both made massive improvements. He also does trips to La Grave and whole mountain clinics.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit windy today, it will be nicer tomorrow.

Alpe d'Huez has opened the glacier, but only for ski teams.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wind wasn't that bad, 20kph I think. Snow was nice but freezing point had been fairly high so snow around Toura was a lot thinner.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try Luca at this school a really nice guy
https://www.2alpesnet.com/ski-instructors/firstrax-private-lessons-2-alpes-676963
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Luca has had a bad injury this summer but I'm sure he'll be back sometime. Marco who works with him is very good too.
snow report
How do you think the tunnel's going to pan out this winter?
snow conditions
@Chamcham, I believe the plan is to open it, although not 100% complete, in time for the start of the season. I believe they will then close the road again sometime in March to complete it with the route de secours being used again until it's all done.
ski holidays
@matejp,

I'll also 2nd Rod at BASS....I did two sessions with him last year and a group booking ended up as a 3hr plus private lesson, on and off piste....you need to get on the website and contact his wife to prebook your slot......excellent instruction.
snow report
It has continued to be warm here for over a week now. I didn't ski again but as it was so nice I went for an 18km/800m hike on Sunday. My first game of squash in over 20 years at 1800m totally finished me off on Monday Shocked Forecast is for quite a lot of snow over the weekend with the freezing point low enough on Sunday for it to fall in resort. I'm away so will miss it.

We had this awesome sunset on Thursday, from my balcony 😃
snow report
@Belch, @Chris, @Claude: thank you for your suggestions I will examine them later. In the meantime I've also found this offer by Evolution 2.

http://www.evolution2-2alpes.com/en/off-piste/50-off-piste-day-safety-technics-monday.html#/type_of_practise-ski/week-choose/ski_or_snowboard_equipment_rental-no/insurance-no

Off piste day & safety technics - Mondays
Do you have a passion for fresh snow and virgin slopes ? Our off piste & safety day is for you. This is a fun day off piste and away from the crowd, wrapped up with safety training. Wether you are a young freerider, a cross country skier or a powder addict, this day is a great way to discover the area and keep safe. To join the course you need to ski or snowboard on all pistes and have already experienced off piste.

What to expect?
A few off piste runs, away from the crowd, chosen based on the weather forecast and snow conditions. You will be joining a group of maximum 8 people, fit and ready to have fun.

Safety training subjects
How to choose your off piste, your line, your couloir or the best slope?
Avalanche and weather report, where to get it and how to decipher it?
Why does it go, why does it stick?
Influence of the weather and terrain
Simple snow profiling exercises
Distance between riders?
Following tracks, good or bad ones? (local skiers, levels, speedriders)
Avalanche, how to get out of it? How to save a friend?
Transceiver, how to use it properly?
Calling for rescue. How? The Y and the N, right phone numbers...
Avalanche airbag, is it worth it?

The idea of the day is having fun and getting off piste onto some beautifull slopes and enjoy great surroundings. Our local instructors will show you a couple of great spots. The aim of the whole day is getting a safer attitude and gain knowledge to evolve off piste safely. We planed this day especially at the beginning of each week so you can ride the rest of the week with more knowledge of the area and in a safer way.

Does anyone know them? Are they any good?
snow report
@matejp, Évolution 2 are in many resorts in France including here. Their instructors will be mainly french with perhaps some Italians, their English should be ok. I dont know any of them personally.
snow conditions
Torrential rain in resort all night, the fog has just cleared and I can see that it snowed down to about 2350m. More due over the weekend with a freezing point around resort level. I'm heading for the flatlands but expect things to be much whiter when I come back on Tuesday.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
It has continued to be warm here for over a week now. I didn't ski again

I don't blame you, tales of monster queues over the weekend and grumpy lift staff.
snow report
@davidof, I skied the first day and the following Thursday. First time here at Toussaint. I timed it for lunchtime and things weren't too bad. Racers are an ignorant lot of pita's though. I had an ESF moniteur try to get on the T Bar with me half way up only he stopped immediately in front of me. My avoiding action took me the wrong side of him leaving him stranded Smile
latest report
Got back yesterday afternoon and the mountain was much whiter although nothing in resort. However it has snowed all day and is really cold. Even more forecast tomorrow. View from my balcony this afternoon. The run between the trees is the Diable black.

snow conditions
Thanks @Claude B,

I forgot how much your thread makes me smile whilst I should be working.

Hope you have a GREAT season and keep up the photos................

Now, where did I put that spreadsheet snowHead
snow conditions
@Claude B,

Looks a bit different from when we saw you in August !
latest report
Thanks both. It's dumping big style this afternoon Smile Great decorating weather Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not here but Alpe d'Huez is opening at the week-end. Forecast is good for Saturday would be rude not to Smile

http://www.skipass.com/news/live/ouverture-de-l-alpe-d-huez-ce-week-end.html
snow report
I didn't go to Alpe d'Huez in the end, not much open. I lucked out though as I thought of skinning up here but didn't, friends who did tell me it was awesome Sad Was going to go this week but snow isn't really good enough now after several freeze, thaw cycles. Lots of snow due in next week but freezing point above resort so wet here. Took this photo from about 1950m on the Demoiselle yesterday whilst stretching my legs a bit.
ski holidays
Lots of rain in resort for the last week but the freezing point had been around 2500m. Most of the lower snow has gone but it must be great higher. Last night it rained very hard and I could see on the mountain (not now fog has rolled in) that it snowed down to lower than 2000m. We open next Saturday and I suspect it will be necessary to keep pretty high to find the best snow.
ski holidays
We are in LDA for Christmas week, had a great time last year for the new year, skiing wasnt great but we managed to have a really fantastic time, fingers crossed for slightly bettter conditions this year. Bring on the Snow gods.
snow report
Spoke to a friend who is a pisteur last night. Snow is superb above 2600m but not below which is what I expected to hear. Snow cannons have been running on Valentine, Diable and return blue (probably others too). Open Saturday Smile Resort is getting busy as seasonal workers arrive and commerces gear up for opening.
ski holidays
Officially Smile

J-2 ! Very Happy
Le domaine sera ouvert de 2100m à 3600m.
Hauteurs de neige :
90 cm à 3200m,
50 cm à 2600 m,
15 cm à 2100 m.

The ski area will be open from 2100m to 3600m from this Saturday.
Snow cover: 90 cm à 3200m, 50 cm à 2600 m, 15 cm à 2100 m.
latest report
Hi Claude. Looking at the MW place at the top end of the resort. Close to the Belle Etoile chair - cannot remember ever using that lift....how useful is it? I cannot make it out from the map/piste map
latest report
Bérangère, it's a bit up the mountain towards L2A 1800 aka Village. Ski down to Belle Étoile which is normally quiet and goes up to Crète. Ski down to Crète 4 man chair and up. I used it all the time for 2 seasons when I rented before I bought this place.
snow conditions
@Claude B, thanks.
ski holidays
With the terrible snow forecast currently being proposed up to Xmas, what proportion of the mountain is likely to be skiable if we get only sun and warm temperatures out to Xmas? Is only the glacier safe at the moment?
ski holidays
@debtors#2, I dont think the forecast is that bad, certainly not as warm as last December which was the killer. 2600m upwards (not forgetting the top is 3600) is my worst case scenario.
snow report
@Claude B, out of interest, how much snowmaking do they have from Cretes to 2600?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy