Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2016 / 17

Poster: A snowHead
Mike
Where are you based now- and the coming 3 weeks?

Wish I was young again Shocked
T minus 5 Madeye-Smiley

The wife did a large packing today - absolute chaos. (I don't need that much!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Home.
Jet lag + Withdrawal = bad combination.

I've just looked at the snow-forecast for Verbier (yes I know, we are not going for a few weeks yet!0 and all the places we have just been to in Japan.
Verbier = no fresh
Japan = continuous fresh powder

Let the three year cycle commence (the agreed interval with my wife and The Lad Very Happy )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in niesko for 6 weeks in 2008, I absolutely loved it. It snowed everyday except for a 3 day sunny patch. Amazing snow, lovely people brilliant off piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely epic @Mike Pow. Mindblowing.

I stuck a wee edit together of a great morning that we had in Hirafu during our trip this year for anyone who's interested. It was a bit windblown at the top, but below the tree line we had a few inches of the lightest powder I have ever skied and clear blue skies - my girlfriend in the pink trousers is on her 5th ski week, so it gives an idea of some of the easily accessible and safe stuff that you can find just off the lifts for punters like us.

http://youtube.com/v/HWZL6MVVQa8

Already scheming for next year...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@element, nice video, looks beautiful and surprisingly quiet for such a nice morning. I'm Leaving the UK on Friday, due to arrive Niseko 9pm Saturday, can't wait though not looking forward to the journey.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hyst wrote:
Mike
Where are you based now- and the coming 3 weeks?

Wish I was young again Shocked
T minus 5 Madeye-Smiley

The wife did a large packing today - absolute chaos. (I don't need that much!)

Based in Niseko Hirafu, but taking my first ski trip to Honshu 04-09 February.

Instructing 10-19 February.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK...you lot don't need to convince me anymore! After a promising early start to the pre-season in The French Alps, everything melted. So, we took a last minute trip to Whistler...one decent dump gave us an excellent powder day and then minus 16 degrees (30 with wind chill, and there was wind) full fat sun, everything frozen. All tracked out on a rocky base. We have decided next year back to Niseko...just need to decide when. IMHO the best and most reliable powder skiing!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
element wrote:
Absolutely epic @Mike Pow. Mindblowing.

Cheers Smile

Quote:
I stuck a wee edit together of a great morning that we had in Hirafu during our trip this year for anyone who's interested.

Great edit, and nailed why Hokkaido appeals to all ability levels.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 2
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie catching the light in 'PowderZone'
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
24 January 2017

Video of Ian in link below

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP3QHengDL9/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 30-01-17 7:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arrived to mild temperatures and light rain yesterday afternoon in Nozawa Onsen. It's been raining for nearly 24 hours in town, and to altitudes above the top lift last night/earlier today apparently. It's now cooled and has just started snowing moderately in town (as of 4pm).

Snowpack is thoroughly sodden, saw a full depth wet snow avalanche at the snow monkey attraction (hell valley) this afternoon. Didn't ski today.

Will be interesting to see how the new snow skies tomorrow morning!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey everyone. heading out on Wednesday and I'm literally counting down the hours!!
this thread has been great so far but i still have a few questions. anyone help?

i know there are some very techi weather threads on here but tbh its all a bit over my head. what forecast website do people find the most accurate? i generally use snow forecast dot com but if anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears.

me and the gf are considering doing the BD lift assisted tour. on the 5/6 if anyone cares to join. it looks like a good way to get my baring in a couple of resorts. anyone used them before?
http://blackdiamondtours.com/guided-tours/lift-assisted-day-trips/powder-hunter/

we are renting a car whilst over there so we can make the most of the resorts surrounding niseko. some of the stuff be shared from Kiroro is just mouth watering (cheers guys) and towards the end off the trip we're playing to head up into central Hokkaido to hit up Furano, Asahidake and Tomamu for a day each. has anyone skied asahidake? how much of the terrain is assessable with out touring?

and lastly is anyone cares for a beer/ski whilst over there shoot me up a message on here.
thanks everyone!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musehead wrote:
Arrived to mild temperatures and light rain yesterday afternoon in Nozawa Onsen. It's been raining for nearly 24 hours in town, and to altitudes above the top lift last night/earlier today apparently. It's now cooled and has just started snowing moderately in town (as of 4pm).

Snowpack is thoroughly sodden, saw a full depth wet snow avalanche at the snow monkey attraction (hell valley) this afternoon. Didn't ski today.

Will be interesting to see how the new snow skies tomorrow morning!

Not what I was hoping to read.

Please keep us posted. Planning on heading to Hakuba Valley on 05 February.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powpirate wrote:
hey everyone. heading out on Wednesday and I'm literally counting down the hours!!
this thread has been great so far but i still have a few questions. anyone help?

i know there are some very techi weather threads on here but tbh its all a bit over my head. what forecast website do people find the most accurate? i generally use snow forecast dot com but if anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears.

me and the gf are considering doing the BD lift assisted tour. on the 5/6 if anyone cares to join. it looks like a good way to get my baring in a couple of resorts. anyone used them before?
http://blackdiamondtours.com/guided-tours/lift-assisted-day-trips/powder-hunter/

we are renting a car whilst over there so we can make the most of the resorts surrounding niseko. some of the stuff be shared from Kiroro is just mouth watering (cheers guys) and towards the end off the trip we're playing to head up into central Hokkaido to hit up Furano, Asahidake and Tomamu for a day each. has anyone skied asahidake? how much of the terrain is assessable with out touring?

and lastly is anyone cares for a beer/ski whilst over there shoot me up a message on here.
thanks everyone!

I use snow-forecast.

Normally spot on for wind speed and freezing level, underreport the snowfall. Which is no bad thing IMHO.

Ropeway from Asahidake base area to plateau. From there you can do short decent pitches to flat run out back to the base. 1 pisted run top to bottom.

On a clear day touring above the ropeway is the go.

I'm in residence in Mick's wine bar at the lights in Hirafu most evenings
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, Will update later in the week, I'm not very encouraged by the wet snowpack right now but it's meant to stay coldish for the next week+ and there's the possibly of a string of good snow events coming up (tonight, Wed/Thurs, Sun/Mon, Wed).

Snow coming down pretty good now and is settling on the car.
ski holidays
toro wrote:
If anyone in central Hokkaido, Asahidake,and Furano area please latest report .. snowHead

Toro

I'm in Furano at the minute. There was a big dump on Friday night, and epic conditions Saturday and Sunday - knee to waist deep in places! Japanese guy in the pub last night said it was the best day of the season so far.

Bit tracked out by the end of yesterday, so I went over to Tomamu today which was fairly similar, though still some nicer areas left in the denser trees.
snow report
@Queequeg, hi thanks for the update..I'll be in the area from Wednesday onwards..hopefully it will be more snow to come ..fingers crossed snowHead
ski holidays
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 2
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Yours truly (@mikethesnow) up to my gills
24 January 2017

Video of yours truly in link below

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP49DoVA-pS/?taken-by=mikethesnow
ski holidays
@PowderAdict
@Minion1980

Hi everyone, I will be going to Hokkaido after the 10th February for about 2 weeks by myself and I am looking for people to ride we. I have not decided exactly where to as 2 weeks give me a bit of flexibility Smile .I have been skiing and snowboarding for 20+ years (I grew up 2 hours drive from the Alps) so a good free rider and that's what I would like to experience in Japan... perhaps even book a guide and climb up a few peaks; maybe with skis, maybe with snow racquets and the board on the back. Is anyone interested?

@Dabber

Apparently you will be gone when I will arrive but perhaps your son would like to go free riding?
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Powpirate wrote:

thanks everyone!

I use snow-forecast.

Normally spot on for wind speed and freezing level, underreport the snowfall. Which is no bad thing IMHO.

Ropeway from Asahidake base area to plateau. From there you can do short decent pitches to flat run out back to the base. 1 pisted run top to bottom.

On a clear day touring above the ropeway is the go.

I'm in residence in Mick's wine bar at the lights in Hirafu most evenings

Perfect thanks mike. i would tend to agree with snowfall. as long as i know who has most, thats all i need..

as i have a lack of touring gear and experience i think i'll just stick to lapping the ropeway. I'm sure i can sniff something fun out.. just don't want to get suck.

will have to come find you at the wine bar. i'll shoot you a message when my boots are on the ground.
snow conditions
Perfect. Look forward to it
snow report
@Powpirate, IMO if you're not planning on skinning at all, you'd be better off somewhere else instead of Asahidake if general conditions are good elsewhere, especially if it's not a clear day (if it's sunny the views and steaming vents are impressive)

Without touring and views you just have a short flat, then a short steep pitch, then quite a long flat ish run-out on cat tracks to the ropeway. Lift only runs every 20 mins, could be a long wait - when we were there a couple of weeks ago you'd sometimes have to wait until the lift after next.

When we were there the top pitches off the ropeway above the treeline were windhammered and horrible, which I understand is pretty common there due to the altitude and exposure. The steep pitch in the trees especially skiers right of the ropeway was excellent, but only about 15-20 turns followed by annoying traversing back through the trees, the cat tracks, and the best part of an hour to get back round again.
snow report
@powpirate - used BD Tours last year, guides were very good, back office rubbish!! Loads of duff info sent to us about airbags before we went (basically told us impossible to bring them - it wasn't impossible, or even remotely challenging!!). Also missed our bus transfer from Sapporo to Furano due to delayed flight (transfer arranged by BD). No help whatsoever, told us no more buses or trains that night, and their answer was check into a really expensive airport hotel. 2 mins on the free wifi and we found a train to Furano and sorted tickets out ourself. They double booked our group with another mid-way during the trip, leaving 8 of us with no accom! Last minute panic and stress for the guides but they sorted it out in the end.

That said, fairly minor stuff on what was otherwise an epic trip!!!
snow conditions
@BlancCommeNeige, hi I'll be in Niseko from the 5th to the 13th (flying to Tokyo on the 14th) definitely up for a ride if you're around though I wouldn't describe myself as advanced in any way!

Saying that does anyone have any recommendations for a guide that isn't going to cost me several hundred pounds for half a day? I'm on my own so not sure if I could join a group just to experience the back country out of the gates or is it fairly easy to navigate if you stay close to the resort?
snow conditions
Nozawa update - the rain turned to snow on Mon afternoon and dropped 25cm in town, up to 45cm on the upper reaches. The fresh snow was nice especially higher up although quite heavy compared to the stuff we had in Sapporo Kokusai last week - more a kind of smooth silky feeling to ski rather than "blower"! I did not venture far from the pistes though so can't comment on whether proper back country and secret spots may be better.

Heavy sticky snow below about 1000m, still soft although rain crust evident not too far below the surface. Pistes mostly in excellent shape.

Snowing again now, hoping for 20cm+ by tomorrow morning. May check out Madarao or somewhere else nearby.
ski holidays
@Minion1980

Great, let's keep in touch and hopefully I will arrive before you are gone (I need to decide on Monday about my departure date from Tokyo to Hokkaido). I have sent you a private message; did you get it?
snow report
Tazawako was alright today wink

snow report
@BlancCommeNeige, cool, yeah I got the PM and replied thanks for contacting.

@clarky999, yeah not bad I 'spose Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Minion1980, Strawberry Gate and Gate 7 in Annupuri were both pretty tame and impossible to get lost in. Here's a vid of some of us messing about mainly in Strawberry fields on a powder morning. Should give an idea of the terrain. Snowjapan reported 18cm that morning, and we were late getting there so it was a bit tracked. It was still the best snow I have ever skied in. It was somehow deeper than a 50cm -10C day I had a few Januarys ago in Italy. Hokkaido is weird!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUsXdoMJbPMNWozbTEwLXhENnM/view?usp=sharing

@clarky999, that'll do well Cool
latest report
Snow quality much improved at Nozawa today, right down to base level. It was cold while 20-30cm fell last night, and a further 15-20cm or so fell during the day. Some exposed spots a bit wind affected but in the trees the powder is really deep, and excellent. It was too deep to really ski well in the Yamabiko area up top which just isn't steep enough!

Also I'm pretty sure I skied past a bear today in the trees Shocked Is that even possible??
latest report
Needed to dig out the cat road again today.

latest report
element wrote:
@Minion1980, Strawberry Gate and Gate 7 in Annupuri were both pretty tame and impossible to get lost in. Here's a vid of some of us messing about mainly in Strawberry fields on a powder morning. Should give an idea of the terrain. Snowjapan reported 18cm that morning, and we were late getting there so it was a bit tracked. It was still the best snow I have ever skied in. It was somehow deeper than a 50cm -10C day I had a few Januarys ago in Italy. Hokkaido is weird!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUsXdoMJbPMNWozbTEwLXhENnM/view?usp=sharing

@clarky999, that'll do well Cool

Nice video, thanks for the advice will check it out, hopefully get a dump or two whilst I'm there.
latest report
@element, Gate 5 is pretty obvious too, just pay heed to the exit line and you cannot go wrong.
It even has a helpful notice at the bottom of the lift showing exactly where to go.

Gates 1 and 2 at Annapuri are straightforward too, traverse right to start.
The first big bowl is obvious, carry on round that and over the next shoulder too.
Both ways lead to a gully track that is the only way out (Only in the sense that you could not miss it due to its gully nature).

Waterfall gate is perhaps a bit less obvious, but so long as you are not first tracks you will be OK...just don't go too fast on the long traverse, there is one low tree to duck under...you would NOT want to get that wrong!
latest report
Where's a good place to book a ski trip to Japan?
snow report
@mrwayne, I started from http://powderhounds.com/, to find a guided trip and ended up with White Room Tours. I went with them last year and will be going again in a couple of weeks. You just need to arrange your flights, and they do everything else.
latest report
WEDNESDAY 25 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 3

Yours truly (@mikethesnow) coming up short in 'Walk In The Woods'

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP8bO-PgjYA/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie getting deep in 'PowderZone'

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP-GWNCgRKv/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Yours truly (@mikethesnow) catching the light in 'PowderZone'

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQB6tc8AMb6/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
@musehead,
cheers for the heads up. i think i'll just keep an eye on the snow reports and go from there.

@Dashed,
the back office does seem pretty rubbish. think we're going to give them a miss. just due to timing and budget reasons.

had our first day skiing today. had been snowing since last night so the the snow was light and fresh. despite heading up at 9 everywhere seemed to be pretty tracked out. can't complain for a first day though.
snow report
Madarao today. Busy, but less foreigners and more Japanese (who love the powder too!). Loads of snowboarders. Had about 10cm overnight so not a massive powder day. Got tracked out quickly in all the official powder zones. It looks like those areas get high traffic so you'd need to hit right after a big snowfall to get anything deep - today was 10cm over a pretty compacted/skied down base from yesterday's action.

Found a couple of great short pitches over the Tangram side that were not being skied so got some good fresh tracks over there! It may have been forbidden but there weren't any signs or ropes to stop me.
snow conditions
THURSDAY 26 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 4
Yours truly (@mikethesnow) in the terrain above Nagamine
26 January 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQEjMZKAmmS/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2017

WALK IN THE WOODS
Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie (@powderbirdie) catching the morning light in 'Walk In The Woods'

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy