Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2016 / 17

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone skiing in Japan this coming winter?

I'm going to be in Hokkaido the last two weeks of January for the third year in a row. Already very excited!

Black Diamond Lodge posted a great photo of the first snows on Mount Yotei last week:

Looks like colder temperatures are soon to arrive:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@musehead, I'll be on a tour of Hokkaido's best powder for 2 weeks at the end of Feb beginning of Mar Cool Cool Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@musehead,

I'll be there in Jamuary too. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Lad and I, with two other friends, will also be there the last two weeks of January.
Week 1 based in Niseko
Week 2 road trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hakuba in early March, never been to Japan so very excited.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoping to head out in time for Kiroro Opening Day on 23 November 2016

This is Kiroro's 25th Anniversary Year.

Will be based at Kiroro and in Niseko Hirafu village.

Can't wait Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have still failed to sort anything for this. I'll look again but fear the exchange rate isn't going to help.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will be in Niseko in the from the 4th feb for 10 days, first timer and I can't wait. Will be alone during my time in Niseko so happy to meet anyone for a ride. Looking to make a trip or 2 to Rusutsu and if possible Kiroro as Mike has made it look so awesome but not sure if Kiroro is feasable.

Then off to Tokyo to meet a friend for a week, I'm counting down the days
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be in Niseko and Sapporo in the middle two weeks in January. Pure buzzin' Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Minion1980, It's easy to do a day trip to Kiroro, I did this one day last winter. You can pre-book a return coach and lift ticket package at the Welcome Centre (large bus stop near the ski lifts) in Niseko Hirafu. English speaking staff. I booked mine the day before I went, they give you vouchers for the coach each way and lift pass.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sapporo feb 8th/9th, moiwa 10th/11th then niseko 12th till 19th for a course.

@Minion1980, might be up for a ski whilst in moiwa , and though I suspect I might be pretty occupied during my days in niseko, I might be free for an evening bevy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I may drop in if the snow's looking reasonable. Not sure where yet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@musehead, ahh wow that's awesome thanks, I couldn't seem to find reliable information about a trip to Kiroro on the web, Rusutsu is already planned as info on the bus was available. Cheers!

@nickH, sounds like a great trip you have planned and sure that would be great if you're around. I'm a one planker though I'm afraid in case you have any aversion to boarders Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Minion1980, after enough drink I'll talk to almost anyone, yes, even...............!! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nickH, hahaha!
snow conditions
Just booked 2 weeks split between Hakuba & Zao Onsen plus some tourist gawping as it is once in a lifetime trip, unless we turn 50 again!
End of Feb Very Happy
snow report
Hi all,

I found a 2014 Fall Line article about a Japan trip for £1000 -http://www.fall-line.co.uk/ski-japan-on-a-budget/

Obviously things have moved on but can you give an idea how much a budget trip would cost from UK? Similar kind of trip, not staying too far from lifts and booked well in advance etc.

Thanks.
snow report
Can't remember the breakdown of the costs in the article, but current prices

Flight - £500-600 (Return flight to New Chitose Airport (CTS) just outside of Sapporo)
Transfers - £40 max return (Regular bus service from New Chitose Airport to Niseko Hirafu Welcome Centre)
Accommodation - £65 per person per night B&B in shared room in Australian Alpine Club Lodge (rungsp has stayed here and vouches for it)
Lunch - £10 per day on mountain, less if you buy from convenience store
Dinner - £10-30 per day (depends on how much you eat, how lavish you want to go)
Lift Ticket - £350 for 7 days (based on 2016-17 rate)

So somewhere between £1485 and £1725

Hope that helps
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, A quick question - is there a best day(s) of the week to arrive and depart ?
snow conditions
Friday and Saturday are the busiest arrival and departure days.
ski holidays
After coming back from an epic couple of weeks exploring Hokkaido last season for a coupe of grand, I was convinced that I was going to be enjoying an annual trip to Japan. Whilst a trip may still be on the cards this coming season, the exchange rate is a worry. Confused
snow conditions
I'll be there to in march
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Ta.

@Custard the Rabbit, I know what you mean on the exchange rate.
snow report
Thanks all.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Can't remember the breakdown of the costs in the article, but current prices

Flight - £500-600 (Return flight to New Chitose Airport (CTS) just outside of Sapporo)
Transfers - £40 max return (Regular bus service from New Chitose Airport to Niseko Hirafu Welcome Centre)
Accommodation - £65 per person per night B&B in shared room in Australian Alpine Club Lodge (rungsp has stayed here and vouches for it)
Lunch - £10 per day on mountain, less if you buy from convenience store
Dinner - £10-30 per day (depends on how much you eat, how lavish you want to go)
Lift Ticket - £350 for 7 days (based on 2016-17 rate)

So somewhere between £1485 and £1725

Hope that helps

In comparison, this is Ski Safari's idea of a cheap Hokkaido trip

https://www.skisafari.com/offers/japan/explore-hokkaido-for-less

Quote:
20% off at the 4* Kiroro Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Kiroro
Free lift pass in Rusutsu
Free 2 day lift pass and a complimentary mountain hosting in Furano

Hokkaido Explorer Ski Safari
Based on 2 adults sharing
14 nights B&B from £2495pp
4 nights in Rusutsu, 4 nights in Kiroro, 4 nights in Furano and 2 nights in Tokyo

Based on 2 adults sharing. Departing 18 February. Includes accommodation, flights and transfers. Subject to availability, restrictions apply.
latest report
my sons just sorted a seasons work coaching snowboarders in rusutsu resort so will be heading out for a couple of weeks in late jan early feb , can't wait to go back
snow report
So did you guys flying long haul have to pay extra for ski carriage?
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., For bookings made after 1 July 2016, BA economy flights from London to Tokyo get 2 pieces of free checked luggage as standard so are a good option! (allowance also applies for connecting flights on the same ticket).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
So did you guys flying long haul have to pay extra for ski carriage?

And skis go free on Virgin.
snow report
First snow at village level in Niseko Hirafu yesterday. Not much and it won't stuck around.

Kiroro being almost 300m higher at 'village' level has been transformed Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLz6aRtgYsi/
latest report
I didn't pay for snowboard carriage with Lufthansa but I am using my checked bag allowance. I wish I had waited for the BA flights as when I booked none were available.
ski holidays
What is the best place to go in Japan with easy access from Tokyo?

My current hotel here in Tokyo will keep All my business luggage on a business trip until I return and I plan to get the bullet train or other transport and ski for 5 days or similar.

Regards
Bob
snow report
There are plenty of resorts within 1-2hrs of Tokyo by bullet train, like Gala Yuzawa.

Good for a daytrip. But they are flat, crowded at weekends, and often run on fake snow.

A 2-5hr train will get you to some better stations, like Nozawa Onsen.

A 6-12hr train will get you to the proper stuff in Hokkaido.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, if I remember rightly , it took me about 1 1/2 hrs on the bullet train and a further hour by coach to get to hakuba from Tokyo
snow report
Going to Niseko for Christmas, booked into Kanronomori which is a little wayfrom the lift but...

Fingers crossed that the snow will be good but not expecting "epic" conditions as a little early. That said nothing will be as bad as xmas 15 in France for lack of white stuff!
snow report
ADESki wrote:
Going to Niseko for Christmas, booked into Kanronomori which is a little wayfrom the lift but...

Fingers crossed that the snow will be good but not expecting "epic" conditions as a little early. That said nothing will be as bad as xmas 15 in France for lack of white stuff!

Kanronomori is great. Not too far from Niseko Moiwa and Niseko Annupuri.

I think they have a shutle van.

If you have your own wheels, then 10 minutes closer to Rusutsu than being in Niseko Hirafu.

Niseko town is nearby and has a couple of great restaurants.

The snow should be pumping by Christmas Smile

This was mid-December a couple of seasons back

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLp5QmpgTlJ/?taken-by=mikethesnow
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
ADESki wrote:

Kanronomori is great. Not too far from Niseko Moiwa and Niseko Annupuri.

I think they have a shutle van.

If you have your own wheels, then 10 minutes closer to Rusutsu than being in Niseko Hirafu.

Niseko town is nearby and has a couple of great restaurants.

The snow should be pumping by Christmas Smile

This was mid-December a couple of seasons back

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLp5QmpgTlJ/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Thanks Mike, have stayed at the Hilton a few years back which, whislt great location, was on the pricey side this time round.

We are banking on the shuttle bus to take us to An'nuppuri and, as you know, the mountain isn't that large. From memory the better side is the Hirafu part as is sheltered more from the NW wind. But hey, we'll take whatever we get!

Nice picture BTW!
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, I'd aim for Hakuba, Nozawa or Shiga.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, I'd aim for Hakuba, Nozawa or Shiga.

Cheers

I've just landed form Tokyo 20 mins ago and I have to say that the Shinkansen (bullet train) is amazing. One every 10 mins to Osaka dn just walk on.

I'll check out transport links for Feb.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops,

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

this is a good place for the train times (if you didn't already know)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy