Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dorsiflexion and heel lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got limited dorsiflexion in by left ankle due to bone impingement caused by an old fracture, this has caused problems with my skiing getting my weight centred (or forward when I want)

I've experimented with ad-hoc heel lifts in my over sized boots which had bagged out enough to accommodate the extra height.

I'm soon to get some new boots fitted which so would like to get a long term solution to my dorsiflexion

Standing in bare feet on my (very good) custom footbeds with my toes against a vertical surface my left knee can't touch the surface, the maximum flexion is only 20 degrees; my right knee touches comfortably and maximum comfortable flexion is 31 degrees

If I put a 12mm heel lift under the left footbed my knee can touch the vertical and maximum flexion increases to 25 degrees,

Should I be considering heel lifts in the right boot too to "even things up" or just in the left boot?

(My left leg is maybe 5mm - 10mm shorter than the right following the fracture)

Thanks for any advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a very similar problem following a fractured right leg, complicated by a bit of bone which sticks out following the repair and which always rubbed raw on my boot liners. Had new boots and custom liners fitted by CEM with shims to lift my right heel and that seems to have fixed it for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Talk to a bootfitter. You have two very broad options:

1) boot with heel lifts.

2) boot with not much forward lean and perhaps a smaller heel lift.

Heel lifts, boot footboard (zeppa) angle and boot forward lean will all affect your fore/aft balance. In the case of a 12mm heel lift, you may feel quite a big difference in your ability to remain centred on the skis. If you talk to CEM you may also want to talk to his colleague Andi about alignment and binding delta.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the rocks wrote:

Should I be considering heel lifts in the right boot too to "even things up" or just in the left boot?

(My left leg is maybe 5mm - 10mm shorter than the right following the fracture)

I ski on orthotics that were made for me by a podiatrist. My left leg is approx 5mm shorter following a femur fracture. The left insole has a heel lift built into it to even up my leg length. I don't feel like having a 5 mm heel lift under my shorter leg only has any disadvantages.

I've been using a skia balance trainer recently and I've found that it's a great way to get instant feedback on changes to the set up of my boots.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the rocks wrote:
I've got limited dorsiflexion in by left ankle

There's some advice on dorsiflexion and heel lifts here...

http://www.skisport.fi/@Bin/5111/2-8_Boot_Fitting_Fundamentals_en.pdf
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sounds like a combination of things is needed to get you in the very best position in the boot

firstly a boot with as little forward lean as can be found in a shape which fits your foot, there are lots of options out there now all with around 12-13 degrees for forward lean
heel lifts should be added with care, it may be that 5mm under the short (tight) leg is enough to get you skiing if the boot starts off upright , it maybe that you need to have some on the other leg too, the aim is always symmetry and balance so adding a lift to one leg (other than to deal with LLD is a big no no)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, boots are last years Tecnica Pro Light
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy