Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, sorry for the dull question but having only ever skied in Norway and for the first time this Feb in Alpe Dhuex I am not good at working out whether an area is for good for me or not!!! I am quite frankly rubbish, dont like to venture further than the greens or an easy blue, whilst my husband and son are zooming down blacks and reds. Have found a good apartment in this town Residence du Brevent, but i cant work out whether i would be able to ski around here. Dont mind having to get a cable car places, but cant walk ages in ski boots.
Any help gratefully received Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@warbis66, while Chamonix is not as bad as some might make out, it's not great if you don't want to go tougher than blue.

Mind you, in France most greens are more or less flat roads. Are you sure you really mean green?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes i really do mean green.....i am rubbish but just love the snow
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thats why alpe dhuez was perfect, we stayed in oz and i could get the cabin up to the greens in alpe and the cabin back
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your husband and son will love it. You perhaps less so. Get the bus to La Tour and you'll be happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suggest you get a few individual lessons so that you can at least ski all the blues. You are missing so much of the mountain otherwise and a lot of skiing is just confidence and overcoming the natural instinct to be scared.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks
But without wishing to be rude i wasnt really looking for info on my ski technique just the runs!!!
I have done 5 weeks of skiing and i have a foot/leg condition which really causes me a lot of pain which leads to falls which is why i stick to greens and easy blues. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is Very little if any skiing in Chamonix that would meet your needs in Chamonix that can be accessed by lifts, also the lifts often need fair walks and/or bus rides in ski boots to get too. Having said that Chamonix can be a great town to enjoy spending time in with lots of alternative activities to Skiing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok thanks
So other than Alpe D'huez where would offer as many greens
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crikey. I've never seen such a thing. My suspicion is that your AdH "greens" are just what anywhere else would call blue (or even red) but specifically designated for beginners. Going by the green overlay.

So don't get hung up on colours. I don't know of anywhere else (not that I've skied everywhere) that "focuses" on green like that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok
Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mont Blanc evasion just along Tom chamonix has about 80km of green runs
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My hubbie skis well but he hates Chamonix for 2 reasons. It is very hard to ski from your door and ordinarily needs a bus or car to get to anywhere half decent to ski.. He has a friend living there and is always trying to find excuses not to go skiing there. It is also very hard work skiing on the pistes. I know quite a few people who don't like the resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think morzine would be a good choice for you and your family as it has good variety, though may be too late in tbe season now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you check out the Brevent piste map, you'd enjoy a good slopeside cafeteria/restaurant (or two) in which to prepare/recover, but only really, a single, short, nominally green run and drag-lift circuit - as the upper part of a rather crowded blue (blanchots & vioz) chair-lift circuit. Not really the warren of tranquil green runs through beautiful alpine forest you may have been hoping for.

So Brevent is something you could probably cope with, but not something you're likely to want to come back to. And I don't think you'd find anywhere else in Chamonix more to your liking, e.g. La Tour, Les Houches, etc.
ski holidays
As to a ski resort that provides challenge to those who would be challenged, and provides easy cruising to those who wouldn't be, then may I suggest the ski in/out resort of Avoriaz?

There is a variety of green/blue runs within and near to the resort village, and a pretty gentle green/blue zone in the adjacent area known as Super-Morzine (there's a flat trail that avoids the Baron drag-lift, which is likely to be a challenge to the less agile skier), which you could spend your time going from one end to the other and back. There's a nice coffee-stop & restaurant at the Morzine end (among others).

If you get more adventurous then there are the twisty blue runs in the forest above Les Lindarets .

AVORIAZ PISTE MAP: http://medias.morzine-avoriaz.com/images/info_pages/plan-des-pistes-avoriaz-877.pdf
ski holidays
To be honest, I'd steer clear of Chamonix full stop for a holiday unless you know the area really well. You have to bus everywhere, lift system is pretty outdated, areas aren't joined up and they sometimes just can't be bothered to groom the pistes and the off piste (I guess that's not an issue) is wrecked within a day.

Great place if you know if well, but if not - I'd avoid Smile
snow conditions
Chamonix at your level - to be blunt, no way!

But have a look at Val Cenis. Longest green run in Europe apparently, really good for beginners and early intermediates, yet there's enough to keep black run skiers happy for a week. Amazing off piste too, and it doesn't get tracked out as quickly as other places.

If you aren't too fussy but looking for a great deal check out CIS for accommodation - it's not luxury, but the food is great and we haven't found value like it anywhere else
ski holidays
update!!!!!
persuaded husband that we should go back to Trysil in Norway.....blue and green heaven!!! Husband will be allowed an extra week in France as compensation!
ski holidays
where is it best to stay around Chamonix for good access to the runs and acres??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy