Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix for 33 days, tips / hints?

Poster: A snowHead
We are going as a couple to Chamonix on the 15th of January (Arriving on Sunday) for 33 days up until 16th of February, we both can do black runs and plan to take lessons for off piste, trying to figure out a few things regrading accommodation - We have a daily budget of 60 euro per night (max budget 1900 euro for accommodation the whole time) for both of us and plan to self cook in rented apartments.

So far i have been looking at Airbnb, Chamonix.com and Booking.com which overall have plenty of properties according to the budget and proximity to public transport and \ or lifts, im not too sure how to split my stay, i could do a whole 33 days in a long term rental in Chamonix or split it to x2 2 weeks + 5 or x4 1 weeks + 5 or x3 11 days +-, for me it seems like 11 days in chamonix 11 days in argentiere and 11 days in les houches can be optimal, can any one share some insight in this regard? Also should i book accommodation for the whole stay right now in advance or i can just book the first two three weeks and later on while in Chamonix book the remaining weeks as i see fit and where i see fit, i guess it depends on availability and i know Holidays start in February which makes me lean to booking all in advance.

Any other tips / hints / tricks or magic will be welcomed!

Cheers! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's not a great deal of skiing in Les Houches as I remember (it was the first place I skied and my wife and I managed to get around a lot of it as absolute beginners over a long weekend) so 11 days may well be too long there - it was lovely though. If you have 33 days and aren't tied to a particular spot for any reason and have your own wheels then you could easily spend time at a number of resorts across the Alps rather than just the Chamonix area. As you have found, things like Airbnb and owners direct make the finding accommodation (even for a few days at a time) very straightforward.

33 days - not jealous at all!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and I'd definately try and do la vallee blanche whilst you are in Chamonix - looks amazing and have only heard good things
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Book all in advance. When it snows, good accommodation at good prices will be scarce. Also French school holidays start Feb 4 - so your latter element will be much, much trickier.

2. Why on earth would you split your accommodation? What do you think the benefit is? Will you have a car? There's no real reason to (well, maybe 15 minutes more in bed if booked on first GMs benne on a powder day, but...) to want to stay in either Argentiere or Les Houches. You are more likely to get a better deal for a longer booking.

Quote:
things like Airbnb and owners direct make the finding accommodation (even for a few days at a time) very straightforward
- no, not really, much of Chamonix valley accommodation is not on AirBnB and much of it is limited to Saturday-Saturday changeovers. I'm sure that will change but not necessarily that quickly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys when i said Les houches i meant also Verbier area (closer to Verbier), i am not going to rent a car for the whole time but use public transport which is free in the MBU season ski pass, i accept that i will have to ride the bus which is not fun but going to other resorts will wear my budget out so i would ski only what i have with MBU ski pass ( i think there is plenty right there).

@under a new name any other suggestions to find and book apartments?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@generics, uhhh, where do you think Les Houches is as it's certainly not closer to Verbier...

You could give www.snostation.com a call.

I think (!) 1,900 a bit tight for a month, but I am not really in touch with that part of the market.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@generics,
As @under a new name suggests, I would pick one place in or around Chamonix. One of my companions for the last 2 seasons spent about 12 weeks each year at the gite la Tapia. This is just out of town on the road to Argentiere. After 2 years he is in need of a change, and has gone upmarket, but it is clean, tidy, and has a good turnover of keen, experienced and motivated types that are often good to link up with. Well equipped kitchen.

If you are a couple, contact Madame direct and you may get a deal for 2 for a 4 bed room to yourselves.

Bus stop 100 yards away.

The bus system is very good for accessing all the ski areas in the valley, and not bad for Courmayeur (which is included in the unlimited pass). You just have to get organised. Verbier by bus is a pain of a journey, and a half price pass has to be purchased there as it isn't on the unlimited pass.

I am not sure what the public transport links to Megeve, St Gervais and Les Contamines are like. But as skiing there is free for you (though there does appear to be a question mark over Les C on the CdMB information) I would be planning on getting in plenty of time there if conditions are good. We had some of our most memorable days at Evasion Mt Blanc last year.

Also, chances are you will meet up with regulars/locals, with whom you will be able to share a car.

Best budgeting tip I received for Chamonix is to always take a packed lunch. Personally, I never take to the hills without at least a litre of hot tea in my bag as well. 30+ days for 2 people, this could save you 1000€ on the trip. All of the ski ares have a warm room where you can consume your own grub. There are plenty of independent establishments in Courmayeur and Les Houches that sell good food, but few if any at GM, Flegere and Brevant.

If you are looking for good off piste instruction, I would try sort that out now as well. On of the most respected English speaking instructors in the valley (Alison Culshaw) is already fully booked up for private instruction.

Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drive there and have a car
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats weird I just got self-catering appartment in St Gervais today for 33 days (Similar dates - Jan to Feb) for 1700 pounds..... circa 1900 euro from Airbnb. So it is possible. Not sure if Cham more expensive though..!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try:

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p6637424

Easy walk to train station to Cham, or rack/pinion train to Les Houches or short taxi ride (maybe buses too) up to St Gervais in Evasion Mt Blanc. However, this is just outside the "valley" so a train ticket it won't be included in the accommodation. Probably easier with a car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HammondR wrote:
@generics,
There are plenty of independent establishments in Courmayeur and Les Houches that sell good food, but few if any at GM, Flegere and Brevant.

Top tip for GM - top of the lift, you are correct it is a total rip off, it's about £15 for a slice of pizza.. oh you think I'm joking, I'm not. Ski down a nice enjoyable red run to the bottom of the lift, you can get the whole pizza for £15. And sit on the terrace outside in the sun. And eat it off a plate, with cutlery. Brevent & Flegere you are right. I paid £12 for a bread roll and a twix.

I completely agree with your principle, in Cham packed lunch will save you a fortune. There is a carrefour in town - a couple of big breadsticks and some packets of cooked meats will do sandwiches for a week for less than the cost of a mars bar on the slope.

To save a bit more cash, I'd also recommend using the Carrefour to buy boxes of beer. A pint in Cham is never less than about £7 so hanging about in the apartment with a beer by the fire is a much cheaper way to unwind than hitting the bars.

Final note... ski theft was rife in town in Cham last season, all the popular haunts (IE outside Chambre Neuf, Terrasse, etc) were hot spots for skis disappearing off the public racks, with and without locks attached. Try to choose a place that allows you to deposit your skis at home before heading out for the evening.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, but you would not want to be in St Gervais (or st G Le Fayet) for a month + without a car. It's a right old trail to Les Houches on the road, never mind the rest of the valley. Unless you have some sort of accommodation which provides a free train ticket (not sure if such a thing exists outside Chamonix valley) I would give St Gervais a wide berth sans vehicle.

One of my chums resides much of the winter there, but he is in a camper van and thus can get about.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will have a car for most of the time so all good...! I take it Cham has a number of free car parks which I presume will be relatively quiet in January..?

Also will have accommodation in Cham for week 5th Feb to 12th. Is it worth keeping car if only planning to Ski Cham that week, or are buses fine (Staying in centre of Chamonix).

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JRB1978,
All of the ski areas (with the exception of Brevant) have large free car parks which tend to be fine in January. Obviously, as it moves into the school holiday weeks, or weekends with a good forecast, it can get busy. Brevant has a pay car park.

There is a dearth of free parking in the town through the day.

If I was in the town centre for a week and only planning on skiing in the valley, I could happily live without a car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JRB1978, if you have parking or indeed pay for a period http://www.chamonix.net/sites/default/files/Attachments/chamonix-stationnement.pdf a car is handy. The bus services are much improved, but you know, buses.
latest report
Thanks guys. Appreciated. Looking forward to the coming season..!!!

One more question, the MBU season pass says it comes with tokens to visit 3 other Haute Savoie resorts. I take it these are "free" day passes to the likes of Flaine..?
snow report
@JRB1978,
Yes. I went to Chatel to visit my son last year. I made the fatal mistake of thinking I could use this to ski 2 days there. One day only in any resort. Blast
latest report
Stay in Argentiere.
ski holidays
@HammondR,
Good to know. But means another 3 different resorts for me suppose..!!
snow conditions
Take a car. Seriously. Getting between the various areas on the ski bus gets very frustrating - did it once, never again. It stops at every stop (obviously) and takes ages. You will want to go farther than Les Houches.

Do the Vallee Blanche, drive an hour to try the Portes du Soleil too. Cross the border in your car and ski in Courmayeur, Italy for a place with a very different feel.

If you feel confident enough, and conditions allow, learn off-piste, get a guide and explore Chamonix's incredible off-piste!

Cham is great fun - good town in the evenings too.
ski holidays
@JRB1978, basically 3 days at each of the "other" Haute Savoie areas.

There were "express" buses last year that didn't stop at every stop. I presume the same this year.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Stay in Argentiere.

I've done a three week trip to Chamonix, and spent numerous single weeks there, and I would say the same. If you are looking towards off piste skiing then most days you will want to ski at GM or Le Tour, so Argentiere is more convenient.
snow conditions
Personally, I find the off piste around Brevent-Flegere gets skied out less quickly.

And there's not a great deal in Argentiere...

But it wouldn't be the end of the world snowHead
ski holidays
@under a new name,

Argentiere to Flegere takes about as long on the bus / in the car as Cham Sud to Flegere.

Agree that Argentiere is quieter, which might be a concern if they want to meet people. That said, Ski Club of Great Britain used to meet up in Argentiere. If they still do, that might be another way to find people to show them off piste routes.
snow conditions
@Oceanic, Cham Sud to Brevent takes much less...ski across...and you don't have to wait for the wind to die down for the first benne.
snow report
It would make Chamonix my base. It's a lively town and 33 days is not exactly very long stay to be bothered with moving apartments, especially to ski in the same (even quite extensive) area. I would don't want to be based in St. Gervais and drive up each day to ski in Chamonix. Just doesn't make practical sense. If you plan to ski mainly in Chamonix, or even just to ski there a lot, this is where you want to stay. And Chamonix out of all other areas within a reasonable distance has the best skiing to offer by some distance. Staying in St. Gervais makes it "easier" to access places like Flaine, but it's an odd choice.
snow report
put a request for accommodation on the Chamonix or Chamonix buy and sell facebook pages. you can use the same pages to sell your season pass when you've finished with it (assuming you don't want it anymore and don't want another next season)

as mentioned, i'd be trying the gites, a month is a long time to rent a holiday rental, but you wont get anything being rented as seasonal. For the same reason you need to get something booked asap.

If you remember (and I remember) message me closer to the time I'll give you a card for the train Smile
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
It would make Chamonix my base. It's a lively town and 33 days is not exactly very long stay to be bothered with moving apartments, especially to ski in the same (even quite extensive) area. I would don't want to be based in St. Gervais and drive up each day to ski in Chamonix. Just doesn't make practical sense. If you plan to ski mainly in Chamonix, or even just to ski there a lot, this is where you want to stay. And Chamonix out of all other areas within a reasonable distance has the best skiing to offer by some distance. Staying in St. Gervais makes it "easier" to access places like Flaine, but it's an odd choice.

This, with car.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@generics,
For accommodation, I just remembered that the language school in Chamonix rents apartments in Cham Sud to non students. Having just scanned their website, it looks like a month minimum, with rent at 400€ a week, plus 'leccy, for a place of your own. It's supposed to be fine

Either way, you need to pull your finger out to ensure you get somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy