Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Increasing lift pass prices

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been looking at lift pass prices for a couple of short trips I've booked for December and February and couldn't believe how expensive they have become.
A full three valleys pass is €60 per day!
We are skiing for three and a half days and it costing €200.
Thats a serious cost on what's supposed to be a relatively cheap four day trip.
Where in December would be cheaper?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well a four day pass for the Val Thorens area will be 190 euro, for Les Arcs 194 and I suspect many of the big resorts about the same. A mid sized resort such as Les 7 Laux would cost about 120.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't buy a full 3V pass - the individual areas are cheaper for starters. Anyway in global terms 60 Euro is cheap I think Vail is now up to $175 for a walk up day pass in peak holiday periods,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you consider what your paying for....all those amazing new lifts and the maintenance of the older ones.... All those piste bashers and the drivers to work nightshift to drive them.

Snow making if the real stuff is a bit "thin on the ground" ... See what i did there. Safety' equipment and training for all the staff. Fuel to run the whole thing....not to mention they aren't exactly doing it in a major city with infrastructure.... Its up a blooming mountain.

Basically i think its still decent value
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its one of the downsides of upgrading lifts. New chairlifts cost millions to develop and tens of thousands each year to maintain. Add to that the significant cost of snow making. Fan guns cost upwards of 30k euro and then there is the pipework, pumping and water costs, depreciation etc. It all goes against the lift pass price.

Perhaps there is room in the market for a budget skiing operator. A sort of Easyresort or Ryanski snowHead Someone not relying on replacing Poma tows or fixed grip chairs with 6 seater 6m/s lifts ? I suspect some of the continental maintenance regulations may make it more difficult for the smaller centres to hold onto and maintain their older lifts or develop by using second hand lifts. It does perhaps raise issues about the sustainability of some ski resorts, particularly if skiing does a 'Golf' and younger people stop coming into the sport and existing skiers cant afford it any more ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 If you look at how may people work on the mountain the price is reasonable, Lifties, Pass sales staff, Piste security to mane but a few. There are 30 people working on Mont Chery in Les Gets alone.

How much per day would a fridge be??

Andy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@anderoo, and Mont Chery loses around €800k a year...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hear what you all are saying about good value I suppose I was just thinking about cheaper options.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An hour in a fridge is around £30. Even with the sterling slump, resort lift passes are good value. Think of what you get and the enormous infrastructure cost involved.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well if you order the Jungfrau Region skipass more than 21 days in advance you get a 20% discount on the normal adult price, so for example a 4 day Jungfrau Region skipass is 204CHF (approx £170 or 188 Euros at the current poor exchange rates of £1=1.20 CHF and 1 Euro=1.09 CHF) rather than 255CHF.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Its one of the downsides of upgrading lifts. New chairlifts cost millions to develop and tens of thousands each year to maintain. Add to that the significant cost of snow making. Fan guns cost upwards of 30k euro and then there is the pipework, pumping and water costs, depreciation etc. It all goes against the lift pass price.

Perhaps there is room in the market for a budget skiing operator. A sort of Easyresort or Ryanski snowHead Someone not relying on replacing Poma tows or fixed grip chairs with 6 seater 6m/s lifts ? I suspect some of the continental maintenance regulations may make it more difficult for the smaller centres to hold onto and maintain their older lifts or develop by using second hand lifts. It does perhaps raise issues about the sustainability of some ski resorts, particularly if skiing does a 'Golf' and younger people stop coming into the sport and existing skiers cant afford it any more ?

IIRC. I was told (by an instructor in Les Arcs), that a High Speed chair cost about the same as a Jumbo Jet, to buy and install. That was a few years ago now, but it probably still holds.

I suspect a RyanSki resort might be rather busy for the next 3 or 4 years (maybe even 9 or 10). Those of us that have been about for over 30 years would feel quite at home.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The new Montalbert Gondola cost Eleven Million Euro's last year, apparently its on a 25 year mortgage!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maddness wrote:
I've just been looking at lift pass prices for a couple of short trips I've booked for December and February and couldn't believe how expensive they have become.
A full three valleys pass is €60 per day!

Yes crazy isn't it. We might do one day per season in a big resort for a bit of fun but we can do a week in some of the local resorts for price of the 3V pass.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maddness,

1. Take pity on us poor Brits. With the Euro/GBP rate at the moment lift pass prices will seem even more expensive.

However

2. It'll add a bit to the overall cost but not much in terms of the total spend.

Rule 5 I think? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
in fairness the weak pound Des make things far more expensive this year for you all.
snow report
@maddness, go somewhere smaller. Plenty of cheaper options about.
snow conditions
Altis, that's the plan for next season I reckon.
ski holidays
Compared to a day at Castleford the 3V pass is still good value I think even with the fall in value in the pound. For a family going for a week to 3V the fact you can buy a six day pass for two adults and two children under age 18 and you all pay child price is a good deal I think.
snow report
Quote:

Compared to a day at Castleford the 3V pass is still good value I think even with the fall in value in the pound. For a family going for a week to 3V the fact you can buy a six day pass for two adults and two children under age 18 and you all pay child price is a good deal I think.

ONLY if you have two children under 18
ski holidays
@johnE, yes fair point. I think you can have up to four children and two adults.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Don't buy a full 3V pass - the individual areas are cheaper for starters. Anyway in global terms 60 Euro is cheap I think Vail is now up to $175 for a walk up day pass in peak holiday periods,

Thats because in US resorts they employ quadrupal ++ amount of people to man/ticketcheck the lifts.
ski holidays
Quote:

go somewhere smaller. Plenty of cheaper options about

+1. Why would you plan to go to one of the most expensive areas in Europe if you want a cheap trip?
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Peter S wrote:

IIRC. I was told (by an instructor in Les Arcs), that a High Speed chair cost about the same as a Jumbo Jet, to buy and install. That was a few years ago now, but it probably still holds.

NOWHERE near!

A 747 costs (rather used to cost, according to Wikipedia - can't find today's price on a quick google) US$228–260 million (2007).

The most expensive lift built to date is Courmayeur's Skyway lift, which was €138 million total inc. installation (some info: http://www.fall-line.co.uk/salomon-tv-crew-check-courmayeurs-new-skyway-monte-bianco-lift/).

A chair lift is more in the €10-20 million AFAIK (which tbh isn't that far Laughing).

Edit: Boeing lists the 747-800 at $378.5 million now (scroll down: http://www.boeing.co.at/company/about-bca/)
latest report
@ Clarky999.
Oh well, it sounded good at the time...the instructor was probably trying to give some (pre-Google) bs PR to the resort. I must admit, I've never looked into it. Embarassed
ski holidays
@maddness, try this brochure:

http://pro.savoie-mont-blanc.com/Missions-Actions/Strategie-et-plan-d-actions/France2/Outils-et-supports/Les-editions/Guide-Neige-2015-2016
latest report
Thanks altis, that's a great guide.
ski holidays
I've just had an email from the Grand Massif - their season passes are half price, if bought before 10 December. €485 for an adult and €285 for a child, which sounds very good value, to me. I normally only go there for one week of the season, but just in case it's relevant to anyone, the link is here:

http://www.skipass-grand-massif.com/en/Forfaits-Saison

Footnote - if I've missed anything stupidly obvious, I apologise and will go and stand in the corner.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy