Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Pass on your smart phone?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone doing this yet? Just went to get my pass for Val T and I've tried to purchase it through the app - I had hoped you could download a pass to your phone, then use it as you would 'apple pay' and whatever the android version of that is?

All the tech is in place already I think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But would it work if the phone battery dies?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the tech is not in place. Skidata use I suspect more of an ID platform, rather than a payment system.

And what happens when you are stuck up the mountain, in a storm, near closing time and your battery dies?

I think a passive card a better idea, myself...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bad idea I think. Apart from the battery issues the contactless tech used in smartphones is NFC which has a very short range (<20cm). The skidata system seems to have much greater range than that.
Theres also the issue of how long it takes to 'read' the chip - which can significantly affect the throughput of the gate. I believe that was one reason TfL didn't introduce contactless (credit rather than Oyster) cards sooner.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bad idea in my opinion too. Significant disadvantages, see above, with very little real benefit. (Like Apple Pay!)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 13-10-16 19:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Jan, my phone couldn't cope with the very cold temperatures and died (needing PUK Code) every time I tried to use it.....I'm glad it wasn't my Lift Pass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The tech is in place but the smartphone batteries are not Smile I wouldn't want to depend on my iPhone to be able to take a ski lift. To put this in place will take investments, and they need to be returned. You can't make people carry smartphones if they want to ski, so the old system will have to stay too, it might get more expensive in the end with little additional benefit. There are already options of getting a card and then charging it online including via app, which provides enough flexibility. And it's easier to zip your pass in a sleeve pocket and forget about it than to have to take your phone out every time you take a lift up. It will create the queues, since if you are carrying skis and poles, your hands are busy. You need to stop to show your phone and put it back in the pocket, at every lift. The rest of the queue with normal ski passes will hate you Smile I doubt the app will find many investors, though of course it can be developed. But just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it's worth doing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@never summer, I doubt the physical tech is installed in place is it?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apart from the battery issues:

All ski stations as far as I am aware scan the cards on the LHS which is why most ski jackets come with a pocket on the left sleeve/shoulder or inside on the left chest.

Most people are right handed and place their phones in the right pocket.

Watching people I've observed so far pay with a smartphone take too long for the payment to work. Their is a great study based on the Tokyo metro about the importance of speedy authentification for payments.

Can you only imagine all the extra faff of people in the lift queues, a what 5-10 gram plastic card works just fine.

I'm pretty certain in some French and Austrian resorts you can top up previous cards online.

Keep it simple.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep. Ski-Pass on phone is a bad idea.

What is starting to happen, and could be extended to ski-passes etc., is ONE card to hold all your credit, debit, loyalty cards etc. But as others have pointed-out; the Skidata system is more ID based and has a longer range.

https://onlycoin.com

https://plastc.com

https://www.imaginecurve.com

https://stratoscard.com/#simple
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use phone passes all the time. Easyjet today tracking incoming flight in the lounge so I knew my flight was on time, the train line for live train prates, BA for my flight on monday. Rome2Rio for general travel (especially train platforms in China), so I'm really into mt job specific apps. However, for a ski pass to enter a lift I think it is a bad idea.

Most people have security on their phone. So imaging everyone at a lift taking off their gloves to launch the app to scan the QR code. Nightmare, and as for people that say oh it would be bluetooth or wifi. Well yesterday on the way from the east of Paris to the west I used up 75% of my battery on satnav So had to go into low mode to get back.

On the slopes with wifi, data searching, bluetooth etc a phone would be useless for a full day skiing.

A simply card in the left hand pocket is a system that just works.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlasgowCyclops, the passes you are using aren't RFIDs are they?

Scanning barcodes for liftpasses takes us back to the 80s
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was behind a woman checking onto an easyJet flight to Geneva in June. With my printed-at-home boarding pass in the back pocket of my jeans. She had a damn great cabin bag and a handbag (already breaking the rules there). Her boarding pass was on her ipad, which was in the handbag. It was such a huge bloody faff every time she had to get it out, open it up, try to present the picture of the pass to the reader, etc etc. If a high proportion of the boarding passengers had had their boarding passes on tablets it would have taken forever to board. And that's if they were all charged.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, the passes you are using aren't RFIDs are they?

Scanning barcodes for liftpasses takes us back to the 80s

No Not RFID. Skidata is just fine. I was referring to a scanned passcode (EG QR). However if using Bluetooth or wifi or some other comms,,the battery will die (apple) or set you on fire (samsung). wink

I've nothing against apps.

Man, I was a PALM and Windows CE developer years ago (Using RAD's to be fair)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, not installed but it exists.
latest report
Quote:

All the tech is in place already I think?

When you can do contactless payment using your smart phone, that's when the
'tech' is "in place"!

We're not there yet. But we will be sooner than you think.
snow report
@abc, Apple Pay = contactless (uses same standards & protocols as contactless cards I think).

@never summer, the tech exists to just laser scan your face instead, but I don't see that being installed anytime soon.

Just because you can, etc.
snow report
They have this in Espace Killy this season. It's a really bad idea.
latest report
@bar shaker, do they? it's not featured on the Vd'I or Tignes websites?
latest report
Think it is technically possible, and the phone just emulates whatever card. The skipass RFID cards are all a basic standard NFC card (forget which, but you can get an Android app that'll read them and tell you, and it'll also tell you a bit about your passport, and your contactless bank card, and..).
But the phone needs to be pretty close to NFC reader, the right way around too. I'll stick to a ski pass in the dedicated ski pass pocket on my left sleeve tyvm, and keep my battery charge for an emergency phone call or SMS.

And @pam w, the 2D barcode readers at the airport are designed for regular/business travellers using mobile phones not iPads. And the business travellers will all have the code ready to scan, just like the rest of us with our paper one. Bad enough needing competent and incompetent/PITA travellers queues in security.
snow report
Quote:

needing competent and incompetent/PITA travellers queues in security

Yep.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker, do they? it's not featured on the Vd'I or Tignes websites?

I am sure I saw a picture of a phone with a Qcode on the Val site, but you are right.

Apologies for confusing anyone.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I was behind a woman checking onto an easyJet flight to Geneva in June. With my printed-at-home boarding pass in the back pocket of my jeans. She had a damn great cabin bag and a handbag (already breaking the rules there). Her boarding pass was on her ipad, which was in the handbag. It was such a huge bloody faff every time she had to get it out, open it up, try to present the picture of the pass to the reader, etc etc. If a high proportion of the boarding passengers had had their boarding passes on tablets it would have taken forever to board. And that's if they were all charged.
Would she have been any faster if she'd had the boarding pass on a piece of paper? In my experience having the pass on your phone as a QR code works just as well as having a piece of paper, as long as the phone has power of course. What is being talked about here is slightly different though, so the phone actually communicates with the gate via NFC ( Near Field Communication ). Again I guess this is OK as long as the phone has power ( and works in a blizzard at -25C ). But it has to be seamless and not require any interaction with the user. I.e sits in your pocket just like a lift pass and you walk through at the same speed as you would with a normal card. Not sure they are really there yet.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

@never summer, the tech exists to just laser scan your face instead, but I don't see that being installed anytime soon.

Just because you can, etc.

Not when wearing a helmet, goggles and a gimp mask Happy
snow conditions
BUT........

Has any considered this or from my Ortovox manual when they say keep a phone away from the avalanche transceiver.

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/interference.asp
http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/How-Electronics-Interfere-With-Avalanche-Transceivers-6497429
http://www.mtavalanche.com/blog/do-phones-interfere-avalanche-beacons

From the Ortovox manual.

INTERFERENCE IN TRANSMIT- TING AND RECEIVING PER- FORMANCE
Interference in the transmis- sion and reception performance can occur through atmospheric forms of interference such as storms, through lifts and power systems, radio equipment, mo- bile phones and other electronic equipment. Mobile phones and radio equipment should be switched off whilst searching. The distance between two ava- lanche transceivers and metal, radio equipment, mobile phones, magnetic objects, etc. should be at least 50cm.

So..... Option one SkiData and a good search in an avalanche

or.......Option two... cool phone app and longer to find me in an avalanche.

Hmmmm..... Option one for me Happy
ski holidays
Soooo.....

I'm getting mixed messages here; is that a 'no'?

wink
snow conditions
LukeRibs wrote:
Soooo.....

I'm getting mixed messages here; is that a 'no'?

wink

There are some things you shouldn't do even if you technically can do them....

(what's so wrong with the little rectangle of plastic we all now carry in the purpose designed mini pocket on the right sleeve?)
ski holidays
Quote:

is that a 'no'?

that would be a reasonable assumption

my lift pass appears on the breakfast table. it goes in my pocket. I don't want to get arrested for looking like I'm trying to get frisky with a lift pass reader.

now a lift pass on a smartwatch *could* make sense.

either way I'll be wanting to carry the receipt in the wallet in case something stops working.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LukeRibs, a. the tech is not in place b. it is a bad idea.

Take that however you will.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@abc, Apple Pay = contactless (uses same standards & protocols as contactless cards I think).

But clearly it was not the "same". Or you could have put the phone in the same spot of the ski pass (I put mine in a regular pocket)

I really don't understand all the negative against ski pass on the phone. You don't HAVE TO use it. But when 'the tech is there', it'd be silly not to get on with it!

I predict there will be soon enough for wide spread use of train tickets on smartphones, boarding pass on smartphone etc. Ski pass on smartphone will just be another one and no one would even remember they once thought it's such a bad idea.

(I was wrong to assume "contactless" means you don't have to put the phone inches from the reader, more practical if it works for up to a foot away)

Quote:

now a lift pass on a smartwatch *could* make sense.

Yep, make good sense. Except no that many people have smartwatch.
snow conditions
@abc, I think you misunderstand. Apple Pay uses the same contactless payment protocol as is built into credit cards these days.

Although, that said, you are in the US where Chip'n'Pin which Europe has had for many years has just been implemented appallingly badly. So maybe you don't have contactless credit/debit cards yet!

And I think you are confusing use-cases. I usually have my train, plane tickets and boarding passes on my phone. What the QR code is doing is saying (optically) "I am Me". And in an environment where QR reading is sensible. Payment systems are saying (by radio) "I am Me and here is my wallet, please take out the approved amount". That's different.

A ski pass is saying, by radio, "I am a valid ski pass and the person carrying it purports to have bought it" and doesn't want to take their gloves off to get their phone out, turn it on, swipe a possibly wet and snowy reader and reverse the process.
ski holidays
@under a new name, My reading of things is that the tech is in place. The NFC protocol is the same as the RFID standards, the phone could be programmed to broadcast that it is a Skidata card if there was an app written to do this.

The payment aspect is separate as you would still need to update the central server to indicate that a particular card was valid.
snow conditions
@rjs, you clearly know more about this than I do on a cursory googling Happy

Still sounds battery hungry and I still think my use-case argument stands snowHead

Horses for courses.
ski holidays
Quote:

And I think you are confusing use-cases. I usually have my train, plane tickets and boarding passes on my phone. What the QR code is doing ...

@under a new name, I think your confusion is on the "QR code" part. That's NOT what I'm thinking when I said "contact-less"! (even though scanning QR code is indeed done without physical contact)

All the argument against ski pass on smartphone is it being a hassle to take the phone out of the pocket, which you would need to do if you need to scan for QR code.

By "contact less", I mean the kind of contact-less exactly like the RF ski pass!

All phones are perfectly capable of doing that. After all, it can talk to a cell tower miles away, surely it can talk to a station a foot away. What's needed is someone program the RF reader piece to talk the same language with the phone. The rest are just details. (It may be a BT like transmitter instead of a RF transmitter. But it can be done quite easily). The "tech" are kind of sort of there already. Just need to be packaged up and migrated to the ski mountains.

The key is the ski pass MUST work by staying in the wallet. Once we got over that hurdle, I can't see why it's not a good idea.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-10-16 21:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well - I rather think that issues over battery life and cold weather operation will be over come quite quickly with the advancement of technology. I'd like to see the option for a ski pass app, and those of us determined to stick to cards to have the option to do so.

I avidly make use of apple pay and contact-less payment both as a consumer, and across all three of the businesses we own - and despite being sceptical at the start, I'm now such a convert I'd like to see the technology applied here. It seems from the posts above that the technology does exist. I look forward to using it!

The watch idea is quite an old one isn't it?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105191
snow report
@abc, I think you and I are on the same page here... It really doesn't seem that complex of an idea to me? But maybe I'm missing something?
snow conditions
LukeRibs wrote:
Well - I rather think that issues over battery life and cold weather operation will be over come quite quickly....

I suppose spontaneously combusting might help with overcoming the cold. wink
ski holidays
So, is the phone supposed to emit the signal near lift stations? And get activated by mental powers? Or will the phone emit the signal constantly? It will kill the battery. Just as useless as downloading a barcode to be scanned. Definitely would cost a fortune to implement for no apparent benefit over the current system.
ski holidays
It would be active but idle using practically no power unless it appeared within a few cm of a card reader device. Then it wakes up.
Just like any other time people leave the NFC "activated" for use as payment device, or emulated oyster card, etc.

Barcode would be totally useless in this case. More useless than the old ticket on a string that you insert in the machine.
snow report
@never summer, your phone activates itself once a second (maybe more maybe less ) to look for incoming calls anyway. It could as easily look for a lift station on NFC or Bluetooth at the same time. It's only receiving when it does that so the energy consumed is tolerable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy