Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes or val thorens in jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok just a quick one on people's thoughts? Always do a week in Tignes in Jan and a couple of weeks in march. A friend of mine has recommended val thorens? I am loathe to change a habit after a disastrous very little snow trip to avoriaz a couple of years ago in Jan.
It's only me and the wife and we will stay in the smallest studio imaginable. Priorities for us is skiing. We often spend d a day cruising from one end of the EK to other it's all about a crossiant for break fast. A lovely lunch with amazing views and a couple of beers with apres then a snack then an early night. First lift each morning.
I guess we have got comfortable for the last 10 years or so. Will we be dissapointed?.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Overall I prefer Espace Killy, but I've never been disappointed with the Three Valleys. Val Thorens wouldn't be my first choice of place to stay in 3V but I could rough it there! Very high, can be bleak in Jan and a long way to the other end of 3V (Courchevel 1650). I prefer more centrally located and lower, eg Meribel, Les Menuires, La Tania. Lack of snow unlikely to be an issue in Jan. 3V would suit your skiing needs very well I think. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You definitely won't be disappointed with the Three Valleys. Vast area, all varieties of terrain, (mostly) fast lifts and stunning high mountain scenery. A very good alternative to the EK (which I love).

The only downside is that VT can be a miserable moonscape in bad weather, as there are no trees. Lifts and links between the valleys can be shut. The height also means generally better snow, and although that's a good thing, it can result in very busy pistes if conditions are poor elsewhere.

Take the plunge and try it for a change.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timg60, VT is great, because it's the highest resort in Europe, and often has great snow and good runs when other resorts (and even other parts of the 3 Valleys) are looking thin. Plus most of it's lifts are modern and high speed. I'm off to VT for 2 weeks in Jan.

There is a fantastic selection of amazing pistes, and the resort has smartened-up a lot in the past few years: There are now 5 star hotels and Michelin starred restaurants. And of course you are linked to Meribel and Courchevel.

But there is also and endless supply of small, super-cheap studios that ski-in and ski-out. Here you can rent straight from the owners from around €300 EUR per week.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/search/refined/region:560/Property+Type:apartment/minSleeps/2/arrival:2017-01-07/departure:2017-01-14/@45.291393086255056,6.576444629846264,45.30346820366614,6.589319233117749,15z/page:1?view=l

But as always — if the snow is great, the sun is shining, and you are with your beloved SO or good friends — then any resort is fab Very Happy

And as others have mentioned, you could consider smaller villages within the 3 Valleys if you want a quieter life: Les Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville, La Tania, Les Allues.

All that said — next year I want to go to Tignes and Val D'Isere — which I have never explored fully.[/url]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really like Tignes and Val Thorens - skiing and atmosphere is actually quite similar. But to be honest I wouldn't choose either in January because of the risk that bad weather makes them "moon base alpha". I'd consider Mottaret at the top of the Meribel valley - still gives you pretty rapid access to the super high terrain in VT but more options in bad weather (it's the hub of the 3V system and TBH Courchevel and Meribel should be PLENTY high enough in January.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with @jedster, Val Thorens is one of my favourite resorts (great skiing, fast lifts, good bars, access to 3V) but then I generally go in March or Easter. For a Jan holiday, I'd base myself in Mottaret.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 3Vs is the biggest ski area in the world.

VT is higher than Tignes.

Skied in -30c in VT in Jan and still had a ball.

Courchevel 1850 is the best place in the 3Vs. VT is second. Meribel is third.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes / Val D skiing i think is better than Val T, but we were limited with what we could do in Val T due to high snow-fall and avalanche risks on the ridges. (Jan last year) when we went over to the Meribel valley there was some great skiing.

I prefer Espace Killy as of now, but Courcheval / Meribel had some great runs, staying in Meribel in Feb so hoping to give the 3V more of a go.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2835292 <-- Val T trip report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2707955 <-- Val D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bit like Porsche 911 or Audi R8?........ they're both quality, just different I'd suggest.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see. So which is which and why?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How lucky we are in the UK & Europe to have so many world-class resorts on our doorstep.

Trying to choose between Espace Killy & The 3 Valleys is like being asked to pick either a Rolls-Royce or a Bently Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dogwatch, 3V is an R8, the car everyone thinks is great but it's still just an Audi.... EK is the 911, can be a boring about town kind of car but if you find the open road you can let rip and it's great fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timg60, as many pointed out above, Val Thorens can be bleak and daunting in bad weather. January can be pretty bleak.
Tignes of course can be also be bleak and daunting in bad weather, but you know it.
Not too bad skiing around in poor visibility in a place you know - can be quite scary in a place you don't know.
So, stick with Tignes in January.
Try Val Thorens in March when the weather is better and you've got 2 weeks, and you can enjoy cruising from Val Thorens to Courchevel and back.
Or go to the End of Season Bash and put some faces to some of these weird names.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have skied regularly in January in Tignes Val T and many more high altitude resorts for nigh-on 30 years. Based on my experience:
- I have never found January to be any bleaker or worse for weather than any other month.
- The ratio of whiteout/total fog days in the Alps as a whole is pretty low - you're unlucky if you get a full week of it. Not saying it can't happen though.
- The worst week I ever had for weather (fog and or rain at all levels most of the time) was in mid March. In Tignes as it happens.
- I wouldn't rule out a January visit to either resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have never found January to be any bleaker or worse for weather than any other month.

It is colder on average - that's a fact! But you are right to say you can have bad vis at any time and can have fabulous conditions in January

Quote:

I wouldn't rule out a January visit to either resort

Nor would I but given the choice personally I'd pick somewhere else in the 3V before March.
snow report
Definitely go to Val Thorens need lots of availability for Espace Killy late deals Happy

Maybe I Haven' t given the 3 valleys enough time but much prefer the EK. Possibly Val D'isere in case of inclement weather La Daille, Solaise, Le Fornet.
ski holidays
Shout out here for the 3v over EK. Have skied lots on both, though more in the 3V, where I think there is more variety. Like others here, I would stay in one of the lower resorts in Jan. Believe me, it can be bitter, windy, bleak and like Ice Station Zebra in Jan. If you stay somewhere a little lower, on a windy snowy day you are less likely to have total lift closure, and may be able to get access to skiing in the trees, so far better vis. Personally I'm not a fan of Mottaret (sorry skimottaret!). Big fan of St Martin here, but cheap and cheerful apartments may be less easy to find. Also like La Tania and Couchevel 1650 (aka Moriond).
snow report
Both had better snow cover than most other places in the Alps last January but both also had a lot of delayed starts, closed chairs, due to high wind and poor visibility.

My choice for early season skiing these days would be the Dolomites or somewhere similar with very efficient and sheltered snowmaking. VT and Tignes are superb for Spring skiing though.

Not helpful I know Embarassed
snow conditions
Some facts — historical snow records. Make of them what you will... snowHead

Historial Snowfall:

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/tignes/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2016

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/val-thorens/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2016

http://www.igluski.com/snow-history?page=1

Historical Temperature:

https://www.yr.no/place/France/Rhône-Alpes/Tignes~2972607/statistics.html

https://www.yr.no/place/France/Rhône-Alpes/Val_Thorens/statistics.html

Conclusion: Not much between them really. Val Thorens seems to have a bit more snowfall, coupled with fewer snow days; at least this is true for the past 3 or 4 years. Temp in both resorts climbs by about 5 degree C between Jan and March; but both have the same average temps.
snow report
Given there is about 30 miles between the two and only 100m in altitude there isn't much difference in weather/temps/wind unless we get 'retour d'est' when Le Fornet in Val D'Isere can get twice as much snow as Tignes and Val Thorens gets none! It happens a couple of days per season.
ski holidays
What we really need is data on the number of full days the lifts were operational.

Val D'isere is surprisingly smooth at altitude which helps make it a good choice for early season skiing. VT is busy trying to remove it's rocks with bulldozers (see other thread) but I suppose Tignes and VT are equally rocky at high altitude Puzzled
ski holidays
I've been in VT last couple of years and my experience is:
- third week in January tends to be the best in January weeks. Still not the high season, but much better snow cover (due to storms in first three weeks) and also weather tends to be more stable. I've also been in VT second week in January -> snowing almost all week (but superb two bluebird days on champagne powder) and first week in February -> foggy, warm with foehn (late chairlift opening due to avalanche danger), poor snow cover and icy pistes
- third week in March last year. Superb weather, very good snow cover, little slushy late in the afternoon.

By the way... super super site http://raylambert.pagesperso-orange.fr/snow/index.htm contains history (weather, snow height, crowd, on-piste and off-piste conditions) for Les Menuires for nearly 15 years. You can check what was the weather back then Smile.
snow report
Ok thank you for all the input. Since we have been luck enough to score 3 weeks this year we are going to give VT a go in Jan. Done it as cheaply as possible as it's the sneaky extra week.
If anyone is around and fancys some company on the week of the 7th Jan 😄😄
Last time I skied the 3v it was 31 years ago. Guess I won't recognise much.
snow report
I'll be in La Tania then, staying for the whole season and happy to show you around if you'd like. Not that I'll know it by heart.. it's such as massive area.

Followed this thread with interest as my previous season was in Espace Killy based in La Daille which had the great advantage of the funicular straight up to the top of Bellevarde and it was a major decision giving that up in favour of 3V. But the ski area is so vast and so varied in 3V that I doubt I'll regret this choice, or that you and your wife will!
snow report
Both resorts can be amazing in good conditions and both can be better than most in poor/low snow seasons - that said both can be utterly miserable moonscapes in poor weather - no trees and susceptible to wind. You pays your money and takes your choice - for me the Paradiski is better, its high, its huge, its sheltered and has loads of trees and you can ski on every aspect.
ski holidays
Vt was fantastic when i went. Definately intend on going back someday
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy