Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2016/2017: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
More pistes opening this weekend :

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2017/0dec/OpeningDay/CourchevelOpenings17Dec.jpg

Great stuff with the cannons and what they had from November.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have to say that I was hugely impressed today with courcheval today and what they've managed to do with such little snow.

VT. very good
Orelle. even better.
courcheval. good but limited.
meribel. poor (imho) and limited
les menuires. not bad on south slopes

all in all some great sunshine skiing in 3vs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@emwmarine, thanks for this - gives those of us going out next week some confidence!
Getting around was easy enough between areas?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@emwmarine, thanks from me too.

Generally, we will only ski on blues/greens. Is getting around on those easy, between resorts?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Getting around is fairly easy. There are a number of lifts closed in meribel and Courcheval but it's all signed fairly well and pretty easy to get around. I can't remember if there is a blue link between all the different resorts but I think generally so.

The link down to VT from meribel would be via pluviometre, which is a blue, but a difficult one at he moment as it's a bit icy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your updates @emwmarine. My son is off to Les Menuires at the weekend on a school trip so I've been telling him to expect a fair bit of man-made!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
. We've been in les arcs these past 13 years, but my daughter has never skied 3v. Shocked So based in Bourg for a long weekend, did Arcs yesterday, La Tuille today, Tignes tomorrow, thought we'd drive over this Sunday. But which valley?! Where's the snow at the moment , where's the best parking? Not going to have time to cover all three this trip, so might as well make it a good one.

Thanks in advance. AR.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Arctic Roll, drive up to Mottaret - lots of free parking up there + easy access to Courch & Val T so you can easily cover the whole lot. What pistes were open were very good in Courch the last 2 days (caveat - this will only last until any numbers of skiers arrive, at which point things will get scraped/rocky/icy very quickly), equally top of Mottaret, Les Menuires and lots of Val T all were good this week (same caveat applies...).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, thanks.
However due to some ( expletives deleted ) muppet this afternoon for whom a soft human was his preferred braking method , I am having to save what remains of my ankle for driving rental car to airport on Monday. Not as bad as Rob@rar but seriously cross. Currently applying RICE and prayer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally quiet pistes today around VT, les menuires and la masse but I expect it to be significantly busier tomorrow with all the new arrivals.

Snow in grear condition higher up, pisties have done very well with the snow available....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Roger C, there are 101 school kids just arrived today from Marlborough, and will be hitting the pistes of Les Menuires tomorrow. If you see a ginger lad in a lurid Decathlon jacket, that'll be my boy. Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
emwmarine wrote:
Getting around is fairly easy. There are a number of lifts closed in meribel and Courcheval but it's all signed fairly well and pretty easy to get around. I can't remember if there is a blue link between all the different resorts but I think generally so.

The link down to VT from meribel would be via pluviometre, which is a blue, but a difficult one at he moment as it's a bit icy.

Many Thanks.

Arrived in Les Menuires yesterday, first day out today and it weren't too bad. I've been here the same week and waited 10 minutes to get onto Bruyeres 1 lift, walked out of the door and onto the lift. Smile

Obviously, the higher you go, the better the snow. Mont do la Chambre and Pluviometre were both good, can't say we encountered ice on either of them. MDLC only down to the mid lift station though, below that IS icy.

VT is good and, once again, not too busy. We did have to queue for about 10 minutes to get onto funitel peclet cabins but when we came back down, that seemed to be running clear too.

Had a walk around 4ish and there was a mass exodus of vehicles from VT through Les Menuires so hopefully tomorrow will be even quieter. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tomj, was the boy on a bus to get out here?

I passed about 5 UK registered coaches overnight on Friday down the motorway, guess most, if not all, were coming to the Alps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some good news from VT......

FRESH SNOW this morning!

Only looks like and inch in resort but every little helps!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GaryCantley, yup - about 18 hours door to door.

Great to hear that Les Menuires isn't too busy. Meteociel suggests you might get a light dusting today - yeay!
snow conditions
As Roger C says, a light dusting this morning and temp has dropped to -8. Only for the day though.
ski holidays
Snow? Path... it will come, so I had a lay in as I'm an old man on holiday Laughing

However woke up and the view in Meribal village just about now, might make some of you cheer up! Yesterday it was all green in this view.

ski holidays
Anybody have any suggestions on where to park tomorrow, we're going to watch the ladies world cup race in Courchevel.
Do they have any extra busses laid on from Bozel?
Is the car park at le Praz likely to be full?
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, A bit of searching found this.
snow report
Val Thorens is closed today because of high winds Sad
ski holidays
All links were closed today due to the high winds.

Best we could do in Les Menuires was get to the top of the Becca lift but couldn't get over the top as no lifts coming back up.

Hopefully, the forecast is for the wind to drop right off overnight tonight and we will be back to normal tomorrow.
latest report
They opened the Peclet gondola and cascades chair this afternoon. Having every person in Val Thorens filtered down the same red run was a nightmare. Especially as skiers who looked like they'd never skied a red run before trying to get down. Couldn't understand why they didn't open lifts and runs further down if it was safe to open these lifts?
ski holidays
@garethjomo, the Peclet gondola runs on a double cable and is designed to be pretty stable in windy weather and cascades is about as protected as its possible to get in VT! (Fairly low and short run)
It might have just been to stay on the safe side.

There's literally nothing at the top of Peclet that a beginner should attempt though!! Laughing
snow conditions
@rjs, Thanks for that, it was a bit lazy of me but I was late going out skiing and thought it would be easier asking snowheads rather than google.
We ended up catching the free navette from Bozel and parking close to the lake where the first bus stop is. On the way back we had a bit of wait in Le Praz for the bus back to Bozel but we ended up in our usual bar for a pot of tea, admittedly it has gone a bit more upmarket recently and was probably the most expensive part of the day.
Next year we'll probably drive up to Le Praz, park there and either catch the Navette or take the gondola up to 1850.

The ladies Giant slalom was eventually abandoned due to the high winds although it was a very interesting experience and we probably saw the top 15 contestants . I didn't realise the darling of the French supporters was called Tessa Worley, not a very French sounding name but popular nonetheless. A quick google search reveals her father is Australian and her mother French.

Probably the most surprising part of the day was to be able to buy a plate of tartiflette in Courchevel 1850 for 6 euros and a Courchevel bob hat for 15 euros, who says you have to be rich to experience Courchevel?
snow conditions
@skichampcouk, I'm intrigued......

Where's the 6 euro Tartiflette to be found in C1850? Tried to visit our favourite resto there on Sunday to find it's now a boutique selling hideous overpriced clothes to people with no interest in skiing Very Happy
latest report
@Roger C, unfortunately it was at one of the stalls at the bottom of the racetrack, probably packed away and on it's way home now along with the stall selling bob hats.
ski holidays
ok, the ensembles are showing practically zero precipitation, I think it's time to sacrifice the first born...
latest report
Hi all,

We're heading out to 1650 Friday night - driving down so should be in the resort Saturday.

Looking at all the great information you have all put together its not looking incredibly promising. Looks like 1850 have done well with the snow making though so not the end of the world.

However, does anyone have a link to a camera for 1650 (apart from the top of the signal) - there used to be loads, ESF used to have some and so did others but they are all gone.

I'm just curious if they are even attempting to make snow there? If they can do it in La Tania which is lower I'd have thought temps must be ok to do it? but according to all the interactive maps the main ariondaz bubble is shut as to are most the lower pistes.

So any info appreciated.

Thanks all and happy skiing! Smile

Tim
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1650 is pretty much all open to the sun, so it's warmer than la tania which has the shade of the mountain.

From what I can tell you can ski higher up in 1650, but download on lift, not sure if that will change for next week, last season more runs kept opening each week as they managed to make more pistes, so they might have something if temps stay cold enough. I can't remember if there's cannons down the lower end of 1650 which also may be a factor.
snow report
Thanks for the response - That may well explain it.

I've been reviewing some of my holiday footage from 2014, and they appear to have a lot of snow cannons on the Mickey and Belvadere which are nursery slopes mainly, - but not too many on the Ariondaz, so that may well be the case they are just waiting.

I don't mind, and actually quite happy for myself to explore 1850, but my kids are booked on lessons, which I was planning on getting a locker right next to the slopes, but it'll just mean lugging 2 kids skiis and my own on a bus. Oh well... I see someone mentioning sacrificing their first born? - Maybe we could crowd fund this proposal Laughing

We'll see. I'll try and update when I'm there incase anyone else is looking for info.

Happy Skiing all!

Ta
snow report
there are snow cannons on the belvedere piste all the way down to 1650 (just checked a picture from last season on my phone)

but I think they hold off opening certain areas to give more scope on peak xmas weeks, for instance it looks from the signal webcam that chapelets has been pisted (at the top anyway) but also closed off with fence to stop people skiing.

also they are good at switching off webcams if they don't give a good picture of the place........ the panning webcam on the roof of the 1850 lift station has been changed to stop it panning right round onto the big brown patch next to the race slope!
latest report
Yes I noticed that with the cams.... oh well we'll see. I should be there in resort from Saturday morning, and I'm hoping they are going to try and open some for next week but we'll see.

I'll update you all if I can get a connection when I'm there.

Ta
ski holidays
Quote:

. I see someone mentioning sacrificing their first born? - Maybe we could crowd fund this proposal

I can offer up my second-born if that helps? He's had his week in Les Menuires so is on the spot... and will be home on Saturday, no doubt to eat us out of house & home. Laughing

Pistes appear to be in good nick, the man made holding up well in the low temps.
snow report
If you are worried about conditions, check out Tim's last snow report

http://youtube.com/v/xVw4UkhPzLo
latest report
Haven't made it over to Courchevel yet, high winds and other things getting in the way.

However, the man made stuff is holding up very well in Les Menuires and Meribel. Went down to the top of St Martin 1 today and all good there.

Lifts at bottom of Masse are open to take us back to Croisette, all the white stuff is man made. This afternoon they finished the blue run from VT back to LM (Cumin). This will probably be open in the morning.

Courchevel is now on the list to do on Saturday. Smile
snow report
Skied Courchevel this morning. We were probably the first over from Meribel apart from ski patrol and got Creux to ourselves (yes the whole run, freshly pisted!!!). Went back up and did it again but others there by then. Suisses was OK but not as good as it was on Sunday when it had just opened. The far parts near Chapelets are still closed. Where they have made snow it is generally good and some areas are better than they are usually when just natural snow. Skied the Belleville valley this afternoon and most of the upper runs were OK - we stayed above mid level. Popped into VT which wasn't as busy as it was last weekend. There had been a little new snow on Monday but it hasn't really improved pistes and nothing forecast at the moment.
There is plenty of skiing its just that you can't navigate the normal way as you get somewhere and find the normal route has no snow. Been coming to 3V since 1990 and this is the least snow I have ever seen at this time of year. There are whole areas with absolutely no snow.
ski holidays
Gary Courchevel looked very nice most of the way down, but from a cable car I couldn't tell what the snow was like - just that it was plentiful. I took the first Saulire express (1&2) from Meribel and came down in the Saulire, then the Verdons into 1850 for the World Cup race. Where in an effort to trump Skichampcocuk I paid for a round of 4 drinks with a €10 note Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I paid for a round of 4 drinks with a €10 note

I was going to ask whether that was tap water from the Gents then realised you'd only paid 10 Euros.

A round of melted snow perhaps?
ski holidays
Ta Andrew, off to Courchevel and Meribel today.

We generally only ski on blues/greens but have worked out a route.

If anyone sees "Batman", that'll be my baby boy (he's 18 ). Smile
ski holidays
Quote:
There will be 205 pistes open in the 3 Valleys from Saturday 24 December 2016. As usual, more slopes open than anywhere else in the Alps!

There will be a piste down to 1650 Moriond from Saturday and all mountain restaurants in the Courchevel Valley will be accessible on skis.

That only leave Le Praz not skiable but work is continuing and S3V hope to have this open some time next week.

Finally S3V have confirmed that the replacement gondola for Ariondaz from Courchevel 1650 Moriond (first used in 1974) will be in place for December 2017 with double the uphill capacity and a toboggan run from the top. Plans for this have been around for a number of years but we’re not sure if this is following the same route or with a mid-station along towards the Chapelets area which was proposed.

Elsewhere we hear news of a 6 seater detachable chair going in to replace the Roc de Tougne parallel drag lifts (that area will certainly see increased traffic) and rumours of the Moraine lift in Val Thorens being replaced (possibly extending and replacing the Col lift too).

The Jardin Alpin gondola is due to have a complete refurb next Summer but we’ve not had confirmation on work starting on the Moretta Village in La Tania (on Gondola side car park) which would lead to a new chair lift up to the Bouc Blanc chair and the removal of the Moretta Blanche drag lift.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy