Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2016/2017: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Funny even a day out the forecasts can't seem to agree if it will snow tomorrow or not
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100 wrote:
The new Jerusalem .... is not a patch on the old.

I think they have just added a new alternative easier start, which then joins the old run part way down. And since the lower part of the old run was always easier than the upper part, it is regraded as blue. The old start is still red and pretty much unchanged. And there is now an extension below Verdet down to Biolley.

So if you want the "old run" just ski the red upper part and then turn off on to Verdet. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, who's out there and what's the verdict- nothing, snow, rain??
Arrive tomorrow!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm here now.

Raining up to 2100 metres, but not too heavy at least.

Lower runs taking a pasting, can see a good few being closed this week. Still good skiing up higher though. Really mixed forecast this week!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raining in le praz. Skied till one today and decided it was time to stop due to a combination of poor light and porridge snow. Having skied well all week, everything was going to pot so decided an early finish with a nice burger and a bottle of red wine before the rugby was the way to go. We've had 5 amazing days skiing , with one day slightly marred by my friend dislocating his shoulder on saluire after hitting a rock. Only stopped him skiing one day - idiot Toofy Grin . Today was a slightly drab end , though there may be some nice snow on the top of saluire.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100 wrote:
Raining in le praz. Skied till one today and decided it was time to stop due to a combination of poor light and porridge snow. Having skied well all week, everything was going to pot so decided an early finish with a nice burger and a bottle of red wine before the rugby was the way to go. We've had 5 amazing days skiing , with one day slightly marred by my friend dislocating his shoulder on saluire after hitting a rock. Only stopped him skiing one day - idiot Toofy Grin . Today was a slightly drab end , though there may be some nice snow on the top of saluire.

There's a quote! Toofy Grin

Come on Ireland!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had skied 62km by then. He managed to ski from the avalanche point on saluire to 1850 to avoid going down in a body bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems like he had read and understood rule five!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there even any reason to get up tomorrow morning for skiing (or the rest of the week)? So warm and high fl! Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
staffsan wrote:
Is there even any reason to get up tomorrow morning for skiing (or the rest of the week)? So warm and high fl! Sad

Yes, it's late March.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any advice for decent places to head to in the Three Valleys at the moment? (and where to be at what time of day?!) We're based in Les Menuires.

Got out at lunchtime today and didn't find much in the Les Menuires area that wasn't slushy and chopped up. Across towards Mottaret, the Campagnol run down from Mont du Vallon was reasonable (although with an alarming number of rocks in the middle of the piste in the top section!)

Tomorrow looks to be even warmer...

All advice very gratefully received!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Head up to val Thorens. Snow was great last week. The Saluire runs Courchevel side were lovely bar Creux far too busy, though the runs bs k down to Maribel will be slushy depending on the time you leave. Runs in 1650 were nice at th beginning of the week.

Nearer to home the runs in the Masses sector were great. Also Cote Brune. Weren't impressed with Mt Vallon this time. Very busy and not well pisted.

You can ski over to Val Thorens very easily and thst should keep you occupied.

Enjoy the week. We had a great time. Remember skiing in the cloud and rain is no fun. Enjoy the sunshine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @dan100! We skied VT today and indeed the snow was good and the sun was glorious! (Also I took some wider skis which seemed to make the slushier stuff more tolerable.) We left it rather late to get back to Les Menuires via bd. Cumin, and were grateful to the Doron lift operator who let us on after they'd officially closed....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi. Any more info on the snow conditions? I'm considering going to Val T on saturday for a weeks skiing with UCPA by myself, but don't know if it's worth it, if the snow conditions are not good. I've noticed the last couple of days in general have been pretty hot in the alps. The trip will cost about £800 including almost everything.

Thanks!
latest report
VT snow is decent, rest of 3 valleys is questionable
snow report
@Bülow: Skiing is better than not skiing, and you'd find some decent snow to ski on in VT. It has indeed been hot for a while, although cooler today. At lower levels things are a bit ugly at this point. It looks to be colder next week, whether new snow falls or not. But if you're wanting to experience the Three Valleys at their best, it might not be the time.
snow conditions
Snowing hard right here in La Tania right now, get out and enjoy it first thing folks, as it's going to get warm again pretty quickly by the looks of things.

I've been out here for two weeks now and I've never known it to be so warm right up to the summits consistently for a prolonged period.

The ski are has been hammered but still good skiing to be found. Slush fest in the afternoon, even high up, but I quite like enjoying slashing about in it.

Very Happy
snow report
Conditions are terrible in Les Menuires at the moment. One of the worst seasons of all time.

snow report
Let's ignore the fact that this is lovely St Martin (and NOT Les Menuires or VT) at an altitude of 1,450.
snow report
https://www.valthonet.com/webcams/menuires
ski holidays
Thanks @Andy4467, fake news is all the rage as you know.
snow report
Have been coming to VT every year this time of year for last five years and had one of the best days today on piste ever. Came down off grand fond at 4.30 on crisp crunchy snow followed by soft not slush to finish off cascades. Les menuires great this morning on the top half of resort. Dead quiet too.
latest report
@snowhound, good to hear.

BTW where do you normally stay?

Always struggle to get a last minute deal at reasonable prices?
snow conditions
We always self cater and fly/hire car. Have used an appt in roc de peclet 2 for last three years off Homeaway. Ski in and out from the ski room door! But there are loads of similar appts available. The equivalent of TO flight transfer accomm food comes in at £350-400 each for the four of us in a 2 bed appt, gat wick Geneva flights during school hols.
snow report
@franga, @snowhound, 5th year here too, always drive to get 7 days skiing plus we live 10 minutes from Eurotunnel, staying Les Balcons, - 2nd visit to 3V this season. Is VT busier than previous years snowhound? we arrive on Saturday and my only concern is poor snow at lower 3V areas pushing people up to VT?
ski holidays
I am off to Meribel on the 9th April. I have skied Easter the last few years in Tignes, Val D and Peisey and had fabulous conditions every time. Tignes and VD we had a huge dump right before we left sand blue bird skies.

This is the first time I am just slightly anxious about the weather. I am sure VT will be brilliant but with more rain coming in this weekend I am hoping the following week is at least dry before we go if the temp stays high.
snow conditions
i was in 3V week before last. Its so quick to get to VT you will have skiing. Afraid lower down in meribel will be slushy. It was slushy in mottaret coming back from VT. We didnt bother much with skiing in Meribel. Skiing in courchevel was great above 2000m. less good lower down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dead quiet this week but there are no school holidays anywhere in Europe according to that school holidays grid on another thread. Next week, pretty much everyone seems to be on holiday so would expect it to be much busier. les men and above mottaret are both perfectly skiable but VT is sooooooo much better, can still find chalky pustes late afternoon.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Let's ignore the fact that this is lovely St Martin (and NOT Les Menuires or VT) at an altitude of 1,450.
Laughing
ski holidays
We had a fabulous week boarding in Les Menuires last week.
Agree with many of the above comments, slushy throughout at lower levels, generally quiet but everyone heading to VT.
We spent most of our time at La Masse which was fantastic.
Top and bottom of it is that if there is precipitation it'll be falling as rain due to the extremely high freezing levels. But if no rain in the sky it could be gorgeous blue sky days as we were lucky to have for the first 4 days.
ski holidays
Really liked la masse
snow conditions
La Tania looking a bit sorry in the village so we had concerns, but good spring skiing above mid station, better in the morning. Really quite decent cover up on the Saulire area above Courchevel, and not too busy anywhere we skied today either. Worth avoiding the lower part of Loze Est on the way over to C as cover was very thin.
latest report
Pls keep the reports coming @balernoStu, we're arriving in Meribel Village next Saturday so it's good to hear positive comments about piste conditions up high......
snow report
I'm heading out this weekend to La Tania with the family. It will be what it will be but I'm watching the webcams and the snow retreat up the mountains in horror. I was out for new year week in Couch village and all the 3v lower runs were thin strips of white in fields of green (though it was amazing what they'd kept open, all resort runs and links were going with the limited natural snow they'd had). Anyway as recompense I was hoping late season was going to be kind to me with some classic spring dumps, but alas it looks like sunshine and rain continues to thrape away at the snow.

Anyway, a quick request - If everyone currently in the 3v can kindly please simultaneously look south and blow hard, I mean really hard, and then immediately about turn face north and suck really hard, like really really hard, as if trying to get a McDonalds milkshake up a straw, perhaps you can shift the current air south thus sucking in some cooler air from the North. snowHead

Much appreciated Very Happy
snow report
We are staying in Brides Les Bains this week, after spending last week in Val Thorens.

We had a fantastic powder day in Val Thorens today! En route to VT we found 4" or so of untracked snow off the side of 4 Vents. We had fresh tracks to ourselves in glorious sunshine and repeated the run 3 times.

Once in Val T we lapped 2 Lacs & Moutiere chairs all day and were still getting fresh tracks at 3.45. We were getting in 70 untracked turns on run after run - & not a cloud in sight. Oh, & we had the untracked stuff to ourselves! Very Happy

Mrs B added further excitement when she dropped a ski pole off Moutiere chair at 4.05 pm. Shocked That meant we had to ski to the bottom of the chair & jump on it again, before catching Plein Sud chair at 4.25. Plein Sud then stopped twice, meaning we had to take 3 Vallees chair later than planned and then dash down the red run to Plain Des Mains chair, to get us over to Mottaret. We made the chair at 3.49 1/2 i.e. 30 seconds before it closed! wink

The blue run to Mottaret then had to be seen to be believed. Large slush bumps from top to bottom - great fun, but carnage in places.

We eventually made it to Chaudanne, Meribel, (& our gondola lift down to Brides LB) with 10 minutes to spare. Phew!

What a day! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Sounds great we are out for the EoSB and the long range forecast (if believable) show lower temps and precipitation...
latest report
@Bergmeister, sounds like a cracking day, bet you won't forget it for a while. I think I've only enjoyed the blue run to Mottaret (Martre) once - when I inadvertently went down it at 10AM. It's a terrible pace to be after 2PM.
ski holidays
@Roger C, @Gazzza, there was still great skiing to be had today, so hope it holds up for you. Clear overnight so a proper refreeze, and shaded runs above La Tania were hard first thing while over the hill in the sun Loze Rouge was silky corn. After a few obligatory laps of the 'family park', where our boys could spend most of the day I think, we headed over to the top of the 1650 area. Skiing there was good down to the Signal chair, which is as low as we went there. For skiing back late in the day it does help if you don't mind a bit of surfing sugary snow.
ski holidays
I was in Meribel last week with the ball and chain for a short break Sunday to Weds. Never seen the resort so quiet and we enjoyed some incredible skiing in glorious weather up high. Gorged ourselves on exquisite (but expensive!) food too. I hope it holds up for the Easter crowds. Already counting down to next season!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy