Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2016/2017: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Great snow in Val Thorens over opening weekend, but very windy (warm, southerly). About 70% of the domain open, and all pistes in excellent shape
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like val thorens is going to get a nice top up end of the week with the rest of the 3vs maybe down to 1400m
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens is just great at the moment... lower down some of the snow has melted but winter is back over the weekend.

Here is a little video we made yesterday in VT (it was a little windy up there).

http://youtube.com/v/B-FwSsiECnE&t=1s
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Thorens this week got voted the world's best ski resort, for the third time;

https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/world-ski-awards-honours-val-thorens-with-worlds-best-ski-resort-title
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now the hair dryer is turned off, the ensembles are suggesting a dry cold period coming up, should be good for snow making
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Val Thorens this week got voted the world's best ski resort, for the third time;

https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/world-ski-awards-honours-val-thorens-with-worlds-best-ski-resort-title

A lot of people on here won't like that for some reason. Mainly the people who have invested in property in lower resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@emwmarine, why are you so bitter? Many more people actually live in the lower resorts, very happily. It's great for VT (and all the other high altitude resorts) to have such good conditions so early. I just don't get why you have keep bangin on about how great VT is compared to lower down. So what if it rains in valleys, especially interseason.

As an aside, the place I rent out at very low altitude is now fully booked for the season. I have turned away the last 4 bookings. So just like you and your successfully run apt higher up, there is plenty of demand around for the different types of resorts. Chill out. Enjoy what you have.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it really true in Vat T they opened for October half term a long time ago? Was that always or the odd year? I'm curious. If so, that's very worrying.
Heading there this Sat, looking forward to it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spent the weekend skiing in VT. Excellent conditions all around and superb snow up high. Orelle was open, though not Bouchet to the very top (opens today- according to the lifty we spoke to). It was very busy by mid morning yesterday, and the whole area was really busy on Sat with bus loads of french students. We were staying with friends with a house down the valley. I don't think people who buy lower down are at all bothered that they can't ski locally -as in, on the doorstep, yet..we had a 25 min drive up to VT from their house which itself is about 15 mins up from Moutiers. It's a real home in a lovely peaceful hamlet, and so much more than just a ski pad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skier789, Yes, when I bought my flat back in the mid-80s, VT opened every year from Oct half-term onwards. It was sometimes glacier lifts only, then they would subsequently open lower lifts as and when the snow conditions allowed, which obviously varied from season to season.

One of the glaciers no longer offers any ski-ing at all - they removed the lifts some years ago - and they have also since stopped the summer season glacier ski-ing on the other one, which used to run from late June thru mid-August.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 28-11-16 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They also removed a higher lift on the remaining glacier a few years ago, presumably reducing the viability of glacier skiing in the summer and shoulder seasons.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stephen buck wrote:
@skier789, Yes, when I bought my flat back in the mid-80s, VT opened every year from Oct half-term onwards. It was sometimes glacier lifts only, the they wold subsequently open lower lifts as and when the snow conditions allowed, which obviously varied from season to season.

One of the glaciers no longer offers any ski-ing at all - they removed the lifts some years ago - and they have also since stopped the summer season glacier ski-ing on the other one, which used to run from late June thru mid-August.

That's really sad to hear. Would you recommend buying a flat now or would you say it's too risky. It's always been my dream to have a little place I could use but I'm nervous about the future.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that VT will be fine, being the highest resort in Europe. Ironically, in poor winters, the demand for rentals often goes up in VT, as other lower resorts suffer.

It still has a long season, Nov thru til May, and of course is linked to the 3 Valleys, though is cheaper to buy than in Meribel or Courchevel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen buck wrote:
I think that VT will be fine, being the highest resort in Europe. Ironically, in poor winters, the demand for rentals often goes up in VT, as other lower resorts suffer.

It still has a long season, Nov thru til May, and of course is linked to the 3 Valleys, though is cheaper to buy than in Meribel or Courchevel.

Ok, many thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cannons on in various places in the 3v's.
latest report
Expected courchevel opening lifts for opening week

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2017/0dec/OpeningDay/CourchLifts10-16Dec2016.pdf
latest report
I'm writing from Val Thorens. Very fine weather. Snow is holding up ok. Conditions not bad. I've never skied this early before so not sure how it compares. Not every run is open unfortunately. However, Caron, Orelle are superb as expected.
Crowd wise- it's about comparable with mid Jan. There's a big Cambridge Uni ski trip here so a lot of Brits here at the moment.
Judging by the view from Caron, there is almost no snow below 2000m. Les Menuires looks like it has no snow whatsoever at resort level. Hopefully we'll get some fresh dumps soon. It's forecast to be fine for the rest of the week, however.
snow report
La Tania webcams showing something that resembles a piste in the village, cannons still on. That's at 1400m is.
ski holidays
Ill be in La Tania at the end of next week, good to see a bit of (artificial) snow on the piste.
snow report
Ensembles suggesting a bit warm for this time of year over the next few days, followed by a return to average temps.

With average temps those snow cannons can be blowing.

Outlook is dry, I'm beginning to think I should be sacrificing the first born soon to the snow gods, worked the last 2 years Wink
snow conditions
@Little Martin, Seems a bit harsh to sacrifice your first born three years in a row, the poor little blighter must have a complex by now Toofy Grin .

I'm heading out on the 15th Jan, so hopefully the there will be some fresh stuff to play in by then!

please pass my thanks on to your first born Shocked
snow report
skier789 wrote:
I'm writing from Val Thorens. Very fine weather. Snow is holding up ok. Conditions not bad. I've never skied this early before so not sure how it compares. Not every run is open unfortunately. However, Caron, Orelle are superb as expected.
Crowd wise- it's about comparable with mid Jan. There's a big Cambridge Uni ski trip here so a lot of Brits here at the moment.
Judging by the view from Caron, there is almost no snow below 2000m. Les Menuires looks like it has no snow whatsoever at resort level. Hopefully we'll get some fresh dumps soon. It's forecast to be fine for the rest of the week, however.

That's better than last year. This time last year iirc Orelle was not open.
snow conditions
From latania.co.uk facebook

Quote:
If anyone was ever in doubt that The 3 Valleys is not the greatest ski area in the World...

On Saturday: 124 Pistes, 71 Ski Lifts, 3 Valleys links open and to add to the real stuff 812,000 cubic metres of cannoned snow already created (and they work 24/7 when conditions allow).

Now this is a stat:
This is the equivalent of 700 football pitches 20cm thick!!!

No wonder they guarantee we've more snow than anyone else.... Why would you ski anywhere else?

PDF of the lifts & pistes this weekend:
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2017/0dec/OpeningDay/3vopen.pdf
latest report
We go too VT Sunday...2 families...nice to read this amongst the gloom😁
Thanks
ski holidays
Just booked VT for long weekend from 15/12 - can't wait..... Very Happy
latest report

Piste down to la tania looking good with man-made snow. And a huge pile of snow to the side, I would assume to build the esf kids area with, wonder where they found that from!

Temperature inversion in place, minus temps in village whilst positive at the top this morning at 9am, they were making snow still in the village.

Outlook is still a little warm on top, dropping again back to average then gradual drop over the month, no sign of real change yet.
ski holidays
Well the views from the lifts aren't too inspiring at the moment:

There was a bit of fun stuff to ski off the sides up high in Val Thorens though, with minimal chance of base or body damage:

In short:

Courchevel, man made snow. Thin. Aig du Fruit couloirs have been well skied.

Meribel/Mottaret, see picture above. Top of Mottaret OK on artificial snow.

Val Thorens. Pick of the pops - up high best.
snow conditions
Spent the day riding above Mottaret and a couple of runs on the Saulire yesterday. At 10am the pistes off Cote Brun and Plattieres 3 were in great nick, fast and grippy and felt most like conditions we normally get in January. For a first day on the board and given what it could have been it was great, better conditions than last year.

Lower down the snow is man made and gets hard packed in the afternoon as the pistes go into shade. I get the feeling that the resort are holding some runs back and will open up more runs for Christmas week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that happened last year, they worked to open up more pistes for Christmas/NYE period
latest report
I think they've done a good job with the snow making and pisting given the lack of the natural stuff. There is definitely better coverage and fewer stones on the pistes with artificial snow than at this time last year. Just watch timings as things are getting really firm in the afternoon on certain slopes.
snow conditions
Val Thorens pistes are in pretty good shape. A bit icy in places but better than this time last year. xmas will be tricky unless there is more snow.

The snow line on south facing slope of the valley is 2300 m.
ski holidays
yes
ski holidays
Looks terrible out there, depending what angle you look at...

ski holidays
Please could you tell me how I post photos?
snow report
@skier789, 2 ways really...
snowHead This is the best way: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/support_snowHeads.php (you get photo privileges of you're super/mega) snowHead

You could also put in a link to another photo storage place online using [img] tabs.
latest report
Have to say Orelle was absolutely superb today. Soft grippy snow and sunshine.
snow report
@emwmarine, good to hear Smile

We're off to Brides Les Bains on Chrismas Eve, I presume it's easy enough to get over to the VT valley from the bottom of the Meribel valley - if the conditions in Meribel aren't great?
snow report
Ladies FIS world cup race confirmed for 20th December in Courchevel
latest report
Quote:

We're off to Brides Les Bains on Chrismas Eve, I presume it's easy enough to get over to the VT valley from the bottom of the Meribel valley - if the conditions in Meribel aren't great?

Several routes, personally I'd do Olympe 1, 2 then 3, Saulire Express 1 then 2, down to Mottaret via Marcassin and Aigle reds (both open), up Plattiers then down to Cote Brune chair and over to VT. You can get over via Les Menuires aswell.

Very Happy
latest report
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Several routes, personally I'd do Olympe 1, 2 then 3, Saulire Express 1 then 2, down to Mottaret via Marcassin and Aigle reds (both open), up Plattiers then down to Cote Brune chair and over to VT. You can get over via Les Menuires aswell.

Very Happy

Great, thanks. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy