Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 inch of heel overhang on new board

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just got a new snowboard and whilst fitting my bindings on it i noticed that even with the bindings set as far forward as possible i still have close to 2 inches of overhang on the heel. Will it matter? Is there anything else you can do to move the stance forward at all? I only have size 9 boots and a regular width board.

Thanks in advance paul.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Paul

I assume that moving your bindings forward doesn't create the same issue for your toe side turns ?

What you normally find even with heel side overlap the rear of the boot is normally designed in that it turns up the way away from the board

So when your making heel side turns (unless you are in slushy stuff) this will not be a problem as the boot won't hit the snow

I think it will be find

Regards Gary
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Paul F, What bindings do you have? Some are able to move the heel cup forward. Also it may be possible to rotate your disks 90 dergees, most have their slots engineered to the standard between hole pitch. 2" is a wee bit too much unless the binding has a thick base-plate. A picture of your boot in the binding will always be a help in these queries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Burton cartel reflex bindings on a lib tech skate banana board. I didnt realise you could swivvle the base plates that might be worth a try. Thanks

Ps how do you post pictures on here haha

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-10-16 20:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul F wrote:

Ps how do you post pictures on here haha

Subscribing to get "super/mega" works, or linking to a photo saved somewhere else is another option.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Paul F, How to post photos

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=584244&highlight=photos#584244
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive got 2015 burton cartel bindings with re flex 4x4 baseplates. I cant rotate them 90° like other plates 😐. I hope im not going to have to buy new bindings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a banana (same width) and size 10's. I knew it was pushing it at the time of purchase. I got some power plates from a friend which act as risers. Not perfect but it is my 'second' sport so I'm not too fussed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Paul F, what size are your bindings? A UK 9 boot may be a little small for a Large binding, meaning that the boot will sit too far back from the centre of the board. I wouldn't expect any issues with board width though. Again, need pics! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This site is dead easy to use for hosting random photos for forums and stuff...
https://postimage.org/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you have found reflex base plates cannot be swivvled.
They have three sets of mounting holes ( forward, centre or back ) and the heelcups are fixed.
The base plates are made this way to flex with the board when it bends, reducing the dead spot underfoot.
I find that most uk9 boots will go in a medium Burton binding nicely, depending on brand of boot.
Burton have the smallest footprint that helps with this.
Other option is to try some Union bindings that have an adjustable heelcup and different mounting disc.
BOL.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'm a bit confused by the comments that the bindings cant be rotated, surely you must be able to move them otherwise you'd have to ride at 0 degree angle?

i'd be amazed if you set both biding at +/- 15 with size 9 nine boots on a skatebanana that you would have too much overhang. 2" is way too much though, you'll wash out the second you lay down a proper carve.

what boots do you have and what banana. Really to know for sure we'd need to know the waist width of the board and the model of boot Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ Think of it as the DISCS can move to a forward,middle or back position when mounting to 4x4 pattern, you set your stance angles by rotating the binding NOT DISC, before tightening the bolts down.
If you do a quick google you can see why these discs are designed to be mounted this way..
Hope that helps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

lay down a proper carve

...on a skate banana Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

lay down a proper carve

hmm well yeah, not here to criticise the choice of board.

what works for one doesn't always work for the many.
snow conditions
Howdy wrote:
you set your stance angles by rotating the binding NOT DISC, before tightening the bolts down.
If you do a quick google you can see why these discs are designed to be mounted this way..
Hope that helps.

not really sure how that's different from just about every other binding in the world Puzzled
ski holidays
Hang on - have you got the disc rotated so the holes go down the length of the board or across it? The holes on the disc should go across the line of the inserts on the board, not follow it. They will line up both ways, so while there isn't anything wrong with that, you can't adjust where the binding sits on the board between the heel and toe edges. Should give you a bit of adjustment to play with.
ski holidays
Quote:

Howdy wrote:
you set your stance angles by rotating the binding NOT DISC, before tightening the bolts down.
Hope that helps.

not really sure how that's different from just about every other binding in the world Puzzled

Quote:

i'm a bit confused by the comments that the bindings cant be rotated, surely you must be able to move them otherwise you'd have to ride at 0 degree angle?

Who said bindings can't be rotated ?
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, I thought the same, but if you google an image of the discs they're quite odd - they have a groove through the middle which runs perpendicular to the centreline to flex so there isn't a dead spot under the binding. They only fit one way - unfortunately it seems the adjustment in the holes is along the length of the board.

EDIT TO ADD
I've just looked at the photos again and it looks like I got it the wrong way round - the only way they fit is with adjustment across the board.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-11-16 0:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/NDiEuD3hXvU
snow report
Just to clarify, Burton do produce a limited reflex disc that allows fine adjustment of stance WIDTH on the 4x4 pattern.
Those discs do not allow for toe/heel adjustment across the width, so you must be happy with the binding in the middle.
snow conditions
Howdy - watching that video it looks like the 'groove'/cutout runs perpendicular to the length of the board. If you get one of the discs with the 12 hole pattern the 'runs of three' and therefore the adjustment would run across the width of the board.
snow conditions
The disc in the video is the 'correct' one for width adjustment, the line of holes are parallel to the binding base plate to allow the binding to move forward/backward, i.e. across the width of the board. That's the standard disc and should be the one the OP has.
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

lay down a proper carve

Whats wrong with skate banana? You heard bad things about them?
snow conditions
If i do have to get new bindings are there any recommendations?
snow conditions
The discs in the film are the standard reflex ones that allow for binding to be moved across the width of the board in toe or heel direction. The stance width adjustment is done by selecting a different set of holes on the 4x2 pattern.
Union might be the way to go as you will have more options for getting in the centre of the board, with the different discs and the adjustable heel cups. Contact Pro or whatever fits your budget.
BOL. THE END.
snow report
Paul F wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

lay down a proper carve

Overpriced and only really good for beginners and park. There's a few similar boards that are at least as good if not better for a lot less money. This is your first board though? You'll be fine.
snow report
@Paul F, Don't panic... I've got one!....hmmm having said that, maybe you should Toofy Grin

They are a fun board and quite easy to get on with. It is a little questionable as to whether the 'magnatraction' really allows a nice flowing 'proper' carve.

I mainly ski so find it perfect for grabbing and going out on when I fancy a sideways session!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a beginner board. You probably won't be seeing many people "laying down" carves on them.

Mervin do 13 length/width variants of that board. If you think about why they do that you'll maybe realize why it's important to ride a board before you buy it.
ski holidays
Yeah im hardly an expert haha. Im confident enough riding regular and just started riding switch for the first time last holiday.
ski holidays
Bananas are terrifying at only moderate speed but jeez do people learn quickly on them.

Perfect for a first board but after a couple of weeks on it (unless you live in the park), you'll want something a bit less rockered and bendy.

Back to the bindings, I would bite the bullet and buy something with much more adjustment. You will get a much better set up on the board and will be able to take them onto your next board, when you have out grown the Banana.

Getting the set up right is important, to suit your own stance and gate. You will ideally be able to micro adjust the set up, over the first few days, to see what works best for you. Just 5 degrees can make a difference between being comfy all day, or getting pain to the left or right of your knees. The same applies to the distance between your feet and the set back that your prefer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy