Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Couple week in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm planning on going to VT on the 18th March 2017. I've been looking at various places that offer package holidays but as there are only two of us I keep getting studio rooms with bunk beds or two sofa beds and wouldn't mind a double bed for me and the hubs!

Due to this, I've been looking at Airbnb for accommodation, there are quite a few decent places on there but it means I would have to book everything separately.

Has anyone done this for VT and could you recommend good sites for lift pass purchase, snowboard hire, and potentially airport transfers? (or any good package holiday sites where I can get a double bed!)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks muchly Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VT is a great choice — you are going to have a fab time.

The VT website has loads of great info; including local estate agents and other accommodation possibilities:

www.valthorens.com

Note that you might consider Les Menuires further down the valley, or even Saint Martin de Belleville at the end. Both will be cheaper and quieter. And both are linked to the rest of the valley and Meribel/Courchevel.

I find these guys have far more owner accommodation in VT than AirBnB. And you are dealing direct, so no fees:

www.homeaway.co.uk

But there are endless studios as you say; but many do have a double sofa-bed in them.

You can also try these two package companies who do very good pricing in VT and often include a free ski-pass for the VT part of the valley (value: €238). You can upgrade the ski-pass to the whole of the 3 Valleys; and you can add flights. Also free bronze ski-hire is included sometimes (value approx: €80). The free ski-pass and ski-hire really add-up in value.

www.sunweb.co.uk

www.whiteroad.co.uk

But do read all the small-print carefully. Linen, towels, tax etc. are often extra. And check the reviews of the actual accommodation they are offering at www.tripadvisor.co.uk. And note of course, that much of VT accommodation is in tired big apartment blocks from the 1980's, not always well-managed. If the deal is really cheap; do be careful.

I always book everything myself; it's easy. That way I can arrive early and leave late, which means I get to ski on both Saturdays.

Skyscanner will get you the lowest cost flights; and enable you to pick the best times. Best to fly to Geneva airport:

www.skyscanner.net

These guys are great for transfers if you want your own vehicle or are happy to share a transfer. They will get you the best price from many operators:

www.findtransfers.com.

Or you can use the French coach transfer service, which is cost-effective:

www.altibus.com

You can purchase your ski-pass here. You will not be able to buy it anywhere at a discount. But you can get a DUO pass for the two of you which is cheaper. Best to get the pass for the whole of the 3 Valleys — it's not much more than just the VT area:

www.valthorens.com/en/ski/skipass.21.html

There are plenty of ski rental shops in VT; but it's always best to book in advance and you will get a much better price. Also, look online for a discount code for the relevant shops, this should give you another 20%-40% off.

Have fun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@aimsify,

Welcome to Snowheads! Very Happy

I've just sent you a PM.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both! Absolute stars!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@aimsify, it's no problem to book for yourself. But be aware if you arrive early you might not be able to get keys for your apartment till around 4 pm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a good point, I'll have to ensure I have my timings right with my flights and transfers!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, makes a good point.

But some accommodation will have somewhere for you to change so you can ski and will hold your bags for you. But do check that in advance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aimsify wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm planning on going to VT on the 18th March 2017. I've been looking at various places that offer package holidays but as there are only two of us I keep getting studio rooms with bunk beds or two sofa beds and wouldn't mind a double bed for me and the hubs!

Due to this, I've been looking at Airbnb for accommodation, there are quite a few decent places on there but it means I would have to book everything separately.

Has anyone done this for VT and could you recommend good sites for lift pass purchase, snowboard hire, and potentially airport transfers? (or any good package holiday sites where I can get a double bed!)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks muchly Smile

You are looking purely for self catering options?

It's easy enough DIYing but for a couple outside of the busy periods wanting flights, transfers, ski hire, etc it makes more sense to use TO's IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, self-catering, we have a budget of £750 all in but the accommodation within that is really basic. For anything a little nicer I'm looking at least £850+.

What TO's would you recommend?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@aimsify, is that £750 per person? And is that including accommodation, flights, transfers, ski-pass and ski-hire?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah, that is per person with everything included.

Am I being unrealistic?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just sorted flights transfers accommodation (smalll studio) and lift pass for £600 each in Jan. It is possible
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£750pp including accommodation (basic studio), flights, transfers, ski-pass and ski-hire is perfectly reasonable.

You can easily price up a DIY alternative by doing a flight search, apartment search, looking at the lift pass and transfer costs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easily doable for that cost. Val Thorens is a great place to DIY as there are lots of apartments on offer. I generally use homeaway when we go to VT
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PeDaSp, £750 per person for accommodation, flights, transfers, ski-pass and ski-hire is totally do-able. www.sunweb.co.uk cheapest deal for your dates are £565 per person all included. But beware, the accommodation at that price will be VERY basic.
latest report
Thanks guys! I'll continue looking and I'm sure I'll find the best deal! Smile
snow report
Since there are no discounts for pre-purchase I don't think it is worth buying lift passes in advance. Just roll up to the lift pass office when you get there. You avoid wasting a day if you have a bad travel delay or if the weather is foul on the first day.

In mid-March any lift office queues should be fairly short. And if there are queues for the manned desk, check for any self-service machines - there are certainly some of these elsewhere in 3 Valleys and they may have no queue at all.
ski holidays
10e off for a couples 3v duo pass on the website. Might get me a couple of demis Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Isn't that just the standard Duo discount? You'll get the same deal in resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy