Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best wax?

Poster: A snowHead
So here I am with a bit of time to kill wondering what I'm going to do about waxing my skis. I've done a couple of interwebulator searches and not come up with much really so I thought I'd ask the font of all knowledge that is Snowheads!

After the (sad in my view) demise of Edge&Wax I'm going to have to look after my own equipment so my question is what wax is the best for general use. I don't race (I wish I was that good!) and I generally ski for either 1 or 2 weeks two or three times a year, mainly January and March, normally in the french alps or sometimes Canada.

What wax does everyone else use?

I get the idea that a proper waxing iron will be safer for muppets like me so one of those is on the Christmas list already, anything else I'll really need?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Dominator Zoom is the current favourite.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Datawax Polar X for dry slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second vote for the broad range Dominator Zoom, mine is supplied from the Piste Office http://www.thepisteoffice.com/ run by spyderjon.

I do apply Zardoz both during the waxing process to impregnate (ooo errr missus) the base and then apply again each day on top of the wax, I usually get 2 - 3 weeks out of each waxing by doing that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarpa, when during the waxing are you applying zardoz? I'm doing the same/ using the same wax as you except for that (only applying it on top of the final wax coat). Keen for any tips to improve the longevity of waxing.

(I'm also using PolarX during the summer for indoor use)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A quick check of Dominator Zoom and it's recommended for snow temps of 0 to -10°C, Is there anything you'd recommend that will cope with January in Canada and March in Tignes? I think that'll look like a possible 5 to -25°C range!

Or will I be better of getting two different waxes then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the general idea is to use Zoom (especially if not waxing in resort), as it covers a wide range of temps, and then use a coat of zardoz to deal with colder / warmer temps.
Did you previously get E&W to apply wax for particular conditions, or just take whatever wax they stuck on them? Zoom is probably a lot better than their default go-to wax.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skis preparation may follow car detailing and drop wax based products. Many top end cars are now protected using nano based permanent sealants.

My new DPS skis came coated in Juice Permanent instead of wax. Claims you never need to wax again, as the entire base is impregnated, so it even survives a base grind. I've no idea if it is any good, as I haven't skied on them yet.

http://www.looknowax.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hydrazrob Blocks (if you can get it) Data Wax sell it from memory, nothing else I have used comes even close to how it runs.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lordf,
I've never seen solid Hydrazorb. Only spray on stuff for dry slope racers. Where did you get it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:

My new DPS skis came coated in Juice Permanent instead of wax. Claims you never need to wax again, as the entire base is impregnated, so it even survives a base grind. I've no idea if it is any good, as I haven't skied on them yet.

http://www.looknowax.com/

Just looked at the Juice website, does it sound a bit too good to be true? anyone any experience?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski,
I got E&W to stick on whatever they thought best. Up until a couple of years ago Scot or Harry (?) would always ask where I was going to pick the best wax for the conditions. The last couple of years, (after Harry left and the whole operation got a bit bigger) they stopped asking and just stuck on whatever I think.@PowderAdict,
Be very interested in hearing how the Juice performs and how it holds up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The best wax is the one that is designed for the conditions you will be snowing on, Vola do excellent range available from Ski Bitz in the uk. For the amount of skiing and waxing you require a shop service is probably the best option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'll get a bottle of pocket juice to bung on top of normal wax to see if it's any better than Zardoz.

Not sure where the nearest ski service place is (Snow & Rock somewhere probably) as I live 3 villages away from Edge & Wax so that's why I've decided to self-service. The shame of it is that the excitement really kicked in when I took the skis down for the pre holiday wax, won't have that now but maybe getting the iron out will have the same kick!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gixxerniknik, The Juiced bases feel very similar to perfectly applied Zardos (which I have used for years as the final preparation step). I guess Juice will behave in a similar way to Zardos when applied over existing wax.

My first booked holiday is toward the end of Jan 2017, so I'll provide an update then, unless I can get an early break in this year.
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, Go for Dominator Zoom it still works well even down to -18 if your ski start to feel a bit sticky rub some Zardoz and your be fine.
The best way to keep your ski running well all week is to have them cooked in a hotbox to get the wax to really soak into the base of the ski.

Just to add I,m setting up a ski tuning business based in Rustington West Sussex. I should be up and running in about 3 weeks
My Wed site is www.powertoedge.co.uk
Any body up at Hemel ski test may have meet me as I was helping spyderjon set up the skis
snow conditions
Can a recreational skier really feel the difference between different waxes?
snow report
@Themasterpiece, in short yes! Happy

I used a new wax on my skis the other day, got the wrong temp and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I was at tamworth, skis pointed parallel down the hill and the wife doing a snowplough overtook me!! Sad
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thats why you should go for a good quality universal wax like zoom. Some cheap universal waxs have poor temp range. Race waxes are condition percific
snow report
@Glen Charman, I know this Toofy Grin, Was just playing around with different waxes to see if I could find the optimal for Tamworth, and failed Happy

Luckily on second attempt the Holmenkol wax I used worked a treat Happy
snow conditions
@Glen Charman, That said, the best wax I've created was a mix of all the odds and sods of race wax, base renew and graphite based - made them into one large random bar, and was flying at CFE over the weekend. Sadly Ill never remember the mixture Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, that's a shame 😄
snow report
@Glen Charman, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:
@Scarpa, when during the waxing are you applying zardoz? I'm doing the same/ using the same wax as you except for that (only applying it on top of the final wax coat). Keen for any tips to improve the longevity of waxing.

(I'm also using PolarX during the summer for indoor use)

I dewax the base with a spray, and then once really dry apply zardoz. This was a documented technique a lot of racers were using. Then apply a base prep wax if you want (or just stick to the all round) over this, if so scrape off then apply the Zoom all purpose wax. I then pass the iron over each ski in turn every 5 mins for half an hour which almost gives a hot box effect as you can keep the wax and base warm for an extended time to allow the base to really get impregnated. Once scraped and brushed I just apply Zardoz as you do each day, really seems to help the glide. For days above 5C I will use a rub on hot temp wax over this, this can be carried for lunch top ups in really sticky conditions.
snow report
@Scarpa, thanks!
snow report
Oh, that is only a pre season wax. For the rest of the time I just wipe with zardoz and wax with zoom etc.

Using it under the wax is a variant of the Felix Process and may well be just pure geeky fun Twisted Evil I've never reapplied during this process as much of it tends to bubble to the surface of the wax anyhow.

http://www.zardoznotwax.com/what-is-notwax/waxing-techniques.php
snow report
@gixxerniknik, servicing your own ski's is the way to go IMO. It's just a nice thing to do. It's not a chore... for me at least.

Any universal wax will do. I just buy job lots.

Folks go OTT about servicing - no offence intended.
snow report
@Layne, I used to be when I only had my one true loves. I am way quicker these days now that I have multiple skis Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 13-10-16 1:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 13-10-16 1:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Anyone tried this stuff. I love notwax and had bought some but thought I might ask for opinions before I potentionally bigger the first couple of days skiing. Mind you I will have a pocket puck pf not wax do what's the worst that can happen😄😄
snow report
@Layne, Thanks.

I think it may be a bit like cleaning ones mountain bike, one can get a bit obsessive about it all to the point of cleaning when one should be riding! (Not me, for me a clean and shiney bike is a sign of too much time on ones hands!)

I've used notwax in the past halfway through the week but it doesn't seem to last very long.

PaulC1984 has kindly sold me some wax and base cleaner, now I need an iron...do I need anything else?
snow conditions
You need the the wax to go with the snow temperature you do have different grades to use during the season so does depends on weather the time of year you ski and where you ski
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Layne, Thanks.

I think it may be a bit like cleaning ones mountain bike, one can get a bit obsessive about it all to the point of cleaning when one should be riding! (Not me, for me a clean and shiney bike is a sign of too much time on ones hands!)

Yes, you've got the right idea.

gixxerniknik wrote:
PaulC1984 has kindly sold me some wax and base cleaner, now I need an iron...do I need anything else?

Usually I can't be @rsed to do a base clean. See previous comment Very Happy

I have a standard file, diamond file and side edge guide for edging; A p-tex candle and metal scraper for base repairs; an iron, plastic scraper and brush for wax and polish. I think that's all.
ski holidays
musher wrote:
@lordf,
I've never seen solid Hydrazorb. Only spray on stuff for dry slope racers. Where did you get it?

I got mine direct form the chap who invented it, I'm not sure if they made more I know data stock the spray stuff but I load of that too. I'm badgering Richard into making more of the solid stuff (mainly as I'm running out).
latest report
warmsnow wrote:
You need the the wax to go with the snow temperature you do have different grades to use during the season so does depends on weather the time of year you ski and where you ski

I ski one week at a time in December and March/April in the French Alps between 1200 and 3300m but mostly between 1500 and 2500m, air temps vary between at a guess -5 and 15 degrees C. I wax for the week. I need one grade of wax to cope with all that. I suspect I'm not unusual.

In the years that I used to get my skis waxed in a shop I never once remember being asked what grade of wax they should use.
ski holidays
I bought some Zardox (on offer and I was buying other stuff). Was planning to put some on the skis every couple of days whilst out in the resort. I think I did it once then either couldn't be bothered or forget to use it. It all dried up next time I got it out.
latest report
[quote

I have a standard file, diamond file and side edge guide for edging; A p-tex candle and metal scraper for base repairs; an iron, plastic scraper and brush for wax and polish. I think that's all.[/quote]
Quote:

A vice would make life easier
ski holidays
for recreational skiing doesnt really matter that much. Just pick one manufacturer and stick with them, mixing I am told isn't great..

I like Homenkhol for race prep and Vola is very cheap in France for everyday stuff.... D

Most brands will have a range of waxes for all temps and you CAN mix different temp wax from the same manufacturer..
ski holidays
Glen Charman wrote:
Quote:

I have a standard file, diamond file and side edge guide for edging; A p-tex candle and metal scraper for base repairs; an iron, plastic scraper and brush for wax and polish. I think that's all.
Quote:

A vice would make life easier

Ah yes, and a vice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy