Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing ski boots for the plane

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Heebson,

Quote:
Simple airline-spec carry-on bag with handle & wheels

this.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Heebson,

Quote:
Simple airline-spec carry-on bag with handle & wheels

this.

Yep. I've never used anything else; very easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa wrote:
@queen bodecia, It can depend on how much custom work has been carried out on the boots, it could be a few hundred quid on top of the boots plus a lengthy wait for their fitter to be available. Saying that, I had a lot done and always packed them in my hold luggage when I flew. I'd never use a separate ski boot bag though.

High faff potential Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia,
Not sure if we are paranoid or just unlucky... but over the past 25 years we have had luggage delayed on over 15 occasions! Shocked

4 or 5 of them have been on Transatlantic ski trips and 1 time was a ski trip to Chile. Then there was the time the mountain bikes didn't turn up at Geneva (with BA), while once the ice axes (& the following year the trekking poles) didn't arrive at Munich...

And not forgetting our trip to Squaw Valley when Mrs B had her new ski boots nicked from her checked in bag. Sad Prior to that (on the same trip) we had the hilarious incident of island hopping in Hawaii for a week, with our delayed bags following us - but always seeming to be one island and one day behind us! When we were eventually reunited with our bags Mrs B's ski boots had vanished from her bag.

More often than not it's the skis that fail to arrive. However, we have always been able to claim hire costs from the airline. When we went to Whistler Air Canada reimbursed us for the cost of rental trousers as well. That was the trip when we learned our lesson (or had confirmation of our paranoia)Toofy Grin and, since then, we have always travelled with ski boots & a full set of ski kit in our hand luggage.

Incidentally, we've never experienced any luggage problems with budget airlines - only the big boys Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unlucky I reckon @Bergmeister, ............not once for me, on dozens of flights........*touches wood*
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeDaSp wrote:
@jedster, good points. Note that the mishandling rate is 9.4% in Europe:

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/04/baggage-report-2013-final.pdf

But this rate is per thousand passengers, not per thousand hold bags handled. So it's deceptive, as more and more folks are not taking hold baggage; and the true figure will be substantially higher per hold bags handled - esp. on short-haul European routes.

But still, a low probability event.

Another aspect to consider, is even though the event is low probability/high impact, in this case it is easy to mitigate with zero additional cost. ie: take your boots as cabin baggage. And this also reduces the risk of them being damaged in transit.

The figures are also skewed with lost luggage being far more likely on multi leg flights. STN-GVA really doesn't give them much opportunity to lose your luggage. Far more likely that someone else picks your bag up off the carousel.

Some airlines don't allow your boots as cabin luggage. Not sure about Easyjet, but they didn't used to let you. Check before you fly.

Back in the day, I have seen people wearing them, boarding flights, on more than one occasion Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the airline has a 5kg carry on limit the boots and bag will probably exceed the weight limit, some airlines weigh bags, some don't.

I always put my boots in the hold inside my ski bag which has boot compartments. My boots are custom with footbeds, the only issue I've had is that a Titan Airways charter managed to leave 2 ski bags at Chamberry but luckily it was on the way back. They recovered them back to me but it took about 5 days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Heebson, I've got the Dakine Cargo 55l which takes boots head to toe in a dedicated compartment and is therefore flatter in depth (with compression straps) to allow for hand luggage restrictions....heavy naked weight though, add boots and it weighs 5kg plus so check your weight allowance or take a gamble.....comfy rucksack straps etc and can also carry a helmet in dedicated pocket....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use one of these as my hand luggage. https://www.snowandrock.com/p/snow-and-rock-boot-bag-I4154017.3420.html
Its the exact size Ryanair allow for had luggage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Stecleary84, that sort of thing is all verynwell, but it rather announces your intention.

I prefer something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4984737
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is in the 'for sale' section == scott boot rucksack

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127533
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeDaSp,
Quote:

I don't think that's quite right, is it? Surely you mean 9.4 per thousand, not 9.4%?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Struggling to understand why this is a question...? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Struggling to understand why this is a question...? Puzzled

Because we like to faff about with ski gear snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@PeDaSp,
Quote:

I don't think that's quite right, is it? Surely you mean 9.4 per thousand, not 9.4%?

Airlines claim greater than 99% of bags are correctly handled, so I assume foxtrotzulu must be correct.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy