Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing ski boots for the plane

Poster: A snowHead
Is it ok just to put ski boots in one of those traditional ski boot bags (the triangular ones) and then check the bag in? I guess the boots are pretty hardy but bit worried about damage.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I put mine in my hold bag. Two advantages to this:

1. It's sturdier than a boot bag and you can pack clothing around them for extra padding.
2. You're not paying for two pieces of hold luggage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You may find that you are only allowed 1 bag in the hold....depending on Airline.

I have gone from using a separate Boot Bag, to a large Holdall which has end compartments for your ski boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I prefer to carry mine in hand luggage - that way if the worst happens and hold bags are lost / delayed, you can still hire skis but use your own boots. Other items in the hand baggage usually include a ski jacket and trousers, gloves, a set of thermals and goggles.

I've never quite been sure whether you can check a separate ski boot bag into the hold along with your skis for no extra cost - probably one to check with the airline you're flying with. I know last time I read the Easyjet small print it was very confusing and rather unclear.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I put mine in a wheelie case along with all the other gubbins I don't want to lose - knee brace and ski mojo. I also have a holdall with boot pockets which Mr HL uses. even when I get free boot carriage with lufthansa/swiss I don't use it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pack in my main bag, which goes in the hold. Never lost them yet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Judging by the piles of the that can be seen in Salzburg/Munich/Geneva on the luggage carousels then plenty of people put boot bags in the hold. I'm pretty sure they'll survive the journey but you might get a few scuffs on your buckles if there's nothing between the boots. Personally I always put mine in my main luggage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a boot backpack which comes on board with me. My boots are the thing I'd generally least like to lose.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given what you do to the boots in use, the flight's the safest place for them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pack the boots with socks and around the outside of the boots with soft items if you are worried. So far ' touch wood' they havent been damaged by BA.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALso you can put anything fragile (glasses/goggles) inside the boots so they're protected too!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your boots are a decent size then coming home with them in the hold baggage allows 2 bottles of wine to be carried well protected Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or even a few bottles of Thunder Toffee Vodka?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boots go out as hand luggage , home in the hold. Swiss allow a seperate boot bag and ski bag as well as a regular bag. I use an EVOC briefcase shaped bag http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Evoc-Ski-or-Snowboard-Boot-Bag_51953.htm to carry the boots which also can fit a few small items around the side, It then goes in the North face Duffel bag or the coffin ski bag on the way home.

Dont forget that non budget airlines (Swiss, BA) allow 2 items in the cabin, as do EJ in certain categories.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mine always go in my main hold bag. Fill with socks, wrap with base layers and wedge little things in any gaps and they don't take up much additional space.
snow report
Quote:

Given what you do to the boots in use, the flight's the safest place for them.

That's what I was going to say! The abuse my ski boots take in the course of their normal duties makes some luggage handler bouncing a bag down a ramp the least of their worries.

Obviously getting lost is the only really different issue but despite that I have hardly ever bothered to carry them on the plane (would do if I was hand baggage only but have always been travelling with skis).
snow conditions
I mostly use easyjet out of Newcastle and the boot bag is in with the cost of the ski carriage so they always go in the hold anyway. I have quite a large rucksack style boot bag and I stuff that and the ski tube to bursting as the allowed weight is that of your hold luggage - 20kg in EJ's case.
Then I only need a cabin bag (holdall) to which I attach my helmet through the handle via the chinstrap.
Never had any problems except for the Geneva security taking the wee wee out of me for owning a Hammer h2 visor helmet... which in retrospect is fair enough. Toofy Grin
I don't think EJ are keen on you carrying boots on in the hand luggage , but I have done that too without being pulled up.
snow report
Boots go in with hold luggage in a rigid suitcase - but I'm increasingly paranoid about my kit, so possibly not for ever.
snow report
Traveled with Crystal the last 2 winters, flying Thompson airlines both times, and our boots have gone into hold in their own boot bags. We've got fairly well padded boot bags though that we ordered from Decathlon and that also have a helmet compartment too (helmets stuffed with goggles, gloves etc). We pay for ski carriage but I've a feeling the boots were included in the main luggage allowance.
latest report
The big question of course is what would you do it the airline lost your checked bag for a few days? There's a spectrum, more or less based around how important are your boots to your feet and how easy would they be to replace.

At one end: If you are heli-skiing in a remote lodge, you might not see the boots again until you fly home. This could be more or less disastrous, and probably expensive, especially as many lodges are remote and don't carry rental boots (as anyone heli-ing it is so very likely to have their own).

At t'other: If you don't really care what are on your feet, except that they match your kecks and are in a well stocked resort, it's probably not something to worry about too much, just a few days when your polypropylene is not all of co-ordinating hue.
latest report
Hire a pair till they arrive and apply Rule 5.
snow conditions
@Mjit, uh, not if it's a CAD 3,000 heli ride to get to a hire shop...
snow report
I always have boots in hand luggage for the reasons @under a new name details above. I was once forced to check them in when flying from Bariloche to Buenos Aires but it hasn't deterred me.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Mjit, uh, not if it's a CAD 3,000 heli ride to get to a hire shop...

Yeah but you'd know you didn't have them before you got to the lodge! Have to stop off at a shop first. Funnily enough I broke a ski boot while doing a couple of warm up days just before a heli trip. I made the mistake of buying new boots from an incompetent boot fitter rather than renting. Had to replace them on my next trip.
latest report
@jedster, given the CMH travel schedule for e.g. Galena, no,you wouldn't (I don't think, haven't used their buses, etc.)

Or, you might have a coachful of grumpy investment bankers in iconic blue jackets looking at you balefully as you try them on hastily in Revvie.
ski holidays
I have one of these; and it's fab:

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_boot_bag/rossignol/hero_dual_boot_bag-67681.html

It holds ski boots side-by-side, and it has a carry handle, shoulder strap and backpack straps (that can be stowed in a zipped pocket). The bag can also hold a laptop and other bits and pieces.

You can find them online under "duo boot bag".

I always like to carry my boots onto the plane, as they are the only thing that I can't find at the resort if the airline loses my luggage. ie: my boots have been moulded, adapted and adjusted specifically for me; and they have custom footbeds etc.
ski holidays
On the grounds I like something a little more useful and feel no need to broadcast our on holiday status, we use this sort of thing

You can also use it for things other than ski boots.
latest report
There are some paranoid people here. The airline missing luggage rate currently stands at 7 per thousand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia, It can depend on how much custom work has been carried out on the boots, it could be a few hundred quid on top of the boots plus a lengthy wait for their fitter to be available. Saying that, I had a lot done and always packed them in my hold luggage when I flew. I'd never use a separate ski boot bag though.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
There are some paranoid people here. The airline missing luggage rate currently stands at 7 per thousand.

I've had luggage go missing on two of my last eleven flights. Return flights to Europe are fine but the same can't be said for long-haul multi-leg flights.
latest report
@queen bodecia, last I flew through Rome with a checked bag they mislaid 40% of items Shocked

Took Alitalia 3 days to get my bag to Sicily.
latest report
@queen bodecia, but things do go missing and if it's sports equipment it can have a significant effect on your holiday... my skis, boots, and climbing gear were 8 days delayed arriving in New Zealand a few years ago - we missed a week of great conditions on the mountains because of that Sad (although I got lots of new Icebreaker stuff with compensation, and we enjoyed some low-altitude tramping instead so it wasn't a total disaster wink)

I'd definitely carry boots as hand luggage.
snow report
Quote:

I flew a lot when I was working, often on poxy airlines and obscure airports. Only once did a bag ever go astray, and then it caught up with me (in Botswana) the following day. Though I didn't always check a bag - I flew a lot with just hand baggage, not because of fear of losing it but because of convenience and speed of getaway.
ski holidays
Quote:

these low probability / high impact events are very hard for humans to risk assess. They tend to be discounted entirely until it effects someone in your immediate vicinity then take on exaggerated significance once they have Very Happy We've had one bag go missing ever, it turned up a day late by van and yet I still get a sense of relief whenever I see my bag come down the carousel. Silly.

A classic example I come across is that people have strong opinions about the puncture resistance of bike tyres but it seems to be based on the one bad experience they had with a particular tyre or a particularly fortunate period they had using another one. I'm very live to why this silly but still not immune!
snow report
Quote:

Or, you might have a coachful of grumpy investment bankers in iconic blue jackets looking at you balefully as you try them on hastily in Revvie.

Remind me not to go with CMH - the kind of people who wouldn't cut you some slack in that situation are not worth being stuck in a lodge with for a week!
snow conditions
Simple airline-spec carry-on bag with handle & wheels to drag those heavy boots around airports and the like. Never been asked whats inside and there's enough room to put in emergency clothing etc in case your checked luggage goes missing for a few days. I have traveled extensively and the number of times baggage has gone missing can be counted on one hand, but when they do, those 'emergency' items differentiate between comfortable and uncomfortable while you wait.
latest report
@jedster, the CMH group in Galena was remarkably inclusive, including two plumbers, etc. Most folks there for the skiing.

I understand that some of the other lodges not so much Shocked
latest report
@jedster, good points. Note that the mishandling rate is 9.4% in Europe:

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/04/baggage-report-2013-final.pdf

But this rate is per thousand passengers, not per thousand hold bags handled. So it's deceptive, as more and more folks are not taking hold baggage; and the true figure will be substantially higher per hold bags handled - esp. on short-haul European routes.

But still, a low probability event.

Another aspect to consider, is even though the event is low probability/high impact, in this case it is easy to mitigate with zero additional cost. ie: take your boots as cabin baggage. And this also reduces the risk of them being damaged in transit.
snow conditions
@jaksbak, Are you crazy? Why miss a perfectly good opportunity to have the pleasure of purchasing an expensive bit of skiing kit, even though a bog-standard bit of baggage will do just as well?

Not only that; but you miss the bragging and show-off rights of swanning around the airport and plane cabin, telegraphing to everyone that you are such an amazing skier that you need you own expensive custom boots that you must keep with you at all times.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
(re-activating this thread as it has relevant content)

I'm seriously sick of trying to use the triangle shaped boot bag as carry-on, but I am not interested in putting boots in hold (I have lost luggage).

First I've seen the Hero Dual bags and am tempted - except looks like there is limited space to carry anything else - kindle, bottle of water, etc., - that I've tucked into a boot bag. Any owner comment? @pedasp

I was looking at the more rucksack types :

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dakine-boot-pack-50l/705614
or
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/armada-sonar-boot-bag/705611 (but shoulder straps don't look detachable == get manky)

Anyone any opinions?

Thanks,
Heeb
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy