Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's planning on getting to the mountains Xmas week?

Poster: A snowHead
Interested to hear if any SH are getting away during the Xmas break and if so where?

We are planning on 24-31st but waiting to see if the snow arrives and prices to drop a little. I know this is peak week but I think £900 plus lift pass is a little OTT for a 3 star chalet.

Go..................... NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
21st - 4th Jan Snow or not, worth every penny to get away from extended family.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonny996, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let me just add we are planning Jan 15th week away so the Xmas trip is purely down to the fact we both finish work and fancy being greedy with snow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrisrawles, 23.12 - 01.01.17 Arlberg....the snow will be there, unfortunately prices don't drop ime!

@Jonny996, You said it!! wink

Back out again on 7th Jan, you've got to be greedy with the snow, its in the Rules. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chrisrawles, A lot of the tour ops seem to be avoiding 24th-31st this year - take a look at Crystal's site they have a few discounted deals (half board or better) already for less than £500 upwards in Austria, France and Italy - we are planning on going that week and due to holiday constraints the sat-sat suits us best that week - Crystal did have a flash sale at the weekend where you could get deals to places like Soll for sub £400 but after the last couple of seasons early season conditions it's a huge leap of faith to book so early for a low altitude resort.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Atomic_Mick, Yeah exactly. We are looking at the high resorts so obviously they come at a premium which is fine but not £900 worth LOL. Also we're trying to get Stansted flights as its 40 mins drive.

Last year we managed to get NY week in La Plange for £550 in a Chalet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After last years snowfall we were spooked out of booking Xmas week this year - settled for the final week of Jan and to pray for snow over Xmas!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well i figured xmas week to be the one before xmas , but will be in Taos, NM as usual Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Me Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
18 Dec - 8 Jan. Austria.
Moving around, first week Altenmarkt, second week Kirchdorf i.T, finishing Klosterle in Vorarlberg. Planning a mix of touring and lift-assisted hesonism. Woohoo! Looking forward to it Happy
Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
24-31st.
S/C apartment booked DIY to Brides-les-bains. VERY EXCITED ALREADY!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:
21st - 4th Jan Snow or not, worth every penny to get away from extended family.

Looks like the opposite for me, my ex will probably take the kids to her family, Mum is going away with friends, brother lives in OZ, not sure if my g/f will still be my g/f by Christmas if she spends another hour whingeing about work like she did last night. anyone fancy a SSaCB? (single Snowheads at Christmas bash)
Off to Canada for 2.5 weeks on the 2nd Jan so no need to worry about me being unhappy at Christmas Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
23rd dec to 13th Jan.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've got people coming in for Xmas week this year (non SH's unfortunately!)
Normally Xmas is very quiet with only a few BnB bookings but maybe people prefer it due to the New Year dates?
These chaps booked up to the 29th so I'm hoping to grab some SH's for a flexible New Year!!

@Inboard, Where are you based?... Could have some time to hook up if you fancy!
ski holidays
@flangesax, thanks for that - can't recall name of our first place but it's relatively isolated, halfway up valley between Altenmarkt and Zauchensee. Apparently there's a good touring summit immediately out the back which we're looking forward to Happy. Not skied E of Kitzbuhel before so looking forward to seeing what that area looks like in winter. You're in Flachau I think? Will give you a shout if we end up there one day.
latest report
@chrisrawles, we are booked for Austria (fugen) for xmas week, hope to be able to do some skiing but it is also for sightseeing and as @Jonny996 said, getting away from the extended family and xmas madness and celebrate o/h birthday.

I have only recently informed the O/H of the details for the trip, and even if I say so myself I think I have accrued a few brownie points, .

plans for xmas eve meal out, midnight mass in the church where "silent night" composed (none of us remotely religious though) xmas day steam train to Mayrhofen and back, sightseeing in Salzburg and Innsbruck.

but just to be in the mountains with my wife and daughters will be enough for me!!! Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
Booked to be in the Zillertal with the kids arriving 26th for a week. Very very excited already. Fingers crossed it's cold enough for the snow cannons if no real snow around. Otherwise it's days at the glacier I suppose.

Getting the kids up to the Hemel fridge at half term for a few hours.
latest report
I bought flights from Bristol to Geneva in the easyJet sale few weeks ago £198 total for three adults one child so we are in La Plagne 24 - 31 Dec. Booked a slope side apartment in Les Coches for £500. Happy with that and even if snow is bad we'll get some decent skiing I'm sure.
snow conditions
Me snowHead

Apartment booked 24-31 going self drive and self catering. Will have Xmas the week before, dinner, presents and family. Will be mini Xmas dinner of frozen leftovers and Santa presents on actual day
ski holidays
After the poor snowfall at Christmas the past two seasons seriously thinking of having Christmas at home this year, so that will probably guarantee the best Christmas snow for years snowHead
snow conditions
20-27th - Staying in Hinterglemm. Even if the natural snow isn't great they do a decent job of snowmaking. We did Wagrain last year and they'd done an amazing job considering how little snowfall there had been.
ski holidays
Stopped doing xmas due to lack of snow 😢
snow conditions
@Inboard, I'm in Radstadt.
Sounds like you maybe staying with a friend of mine at Haus Kienrich!

@hammerite, in the 10 seasons we've been out here I've never had 'no snow' over Xmas week. There have only been less than a handfull of years with the larger resorts (Wagrain, Zauchensee, Flachau, Schladming, Reiteralm) having fewer lifts open but still at least to mid station.
snow conditions
@flangesax, d'oh - should have read your signature! Embarassed

Just checked - it's not Kienrich, but Hinterwiesgut that we're staying.

Looks a great area, I'm enjoying poring over the guidebooks now

snowHead
ski holidays
Usually manage xmas week. Always wait for a deal and play chicken with the TO's to see who blinks first. Managed last year to get (with a month to spare) catered chalet, flights, transfers, passes and 1xski hire/1xski carriage... for under £600 for the 2 of us. Not even started looking yet.
snow report
@flangesax, which is why we're happy to take "the risk". We don't really see it as being too risky!

I was shocked at how much ground we covered last Christmas. Last year one day we managed to ski over to Alpendorf and back with Jnr before dropping him off at ski school meeting point for 10am. The OH and I then crossed over and skied most of Flachau, had lunch before getting back to the top of the Grafenberg to collect Jnr for 3pm. We then went back across, up to the top of the Flying Mozart and back down for drinks in the Kuhstall. It all seemed very hard and fast, even though we're not really fast skiers.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Usually manage xmas week. Always wait for a deal and play chicken with the TO's to see who blinks first. Managed last year to get (with a month to spare) catered chalet, flights, transfers, passes and 1xski hire/1xski carriage... for under £600 for the 2 of us. Not even started looking yet.

Under 600 notes for 2 people for all of that?

Where did you go?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mikeycharlton wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Under 600 notes for 2 people for all of that?

Where did you go?

La Rosiere. Of course at that price we were slumming it a bit...

And the snow it was a bit short of snow...

ski holidays
Mayrhofen,well Finkenberg from 28/12/16 till 04/01/17 was surprised at how much cheaper in a bnb doing Wednesday to Wednesday, And not too bad on Easy jet sub £500 inc transfers per person. Can't wait...... Was trying for the PSB in Tignes but couldn't swing it!!! YET!
snow conditions
Duved/Are, little daylight and pretty cheap. Hopefully catch the northern lights whilst only 5 hours of actual daylight.

Something different.
snow conditions
@Inboard, Well I'll be in Altenmarkt so we may even get to grab a few runs Smile
ski holidays
Appartment in Les Menuires 24th - 31st. Then three days based in Albertville, ski locations to be decided.
snow conditions
Doing a DIY to saalbach on xmas day. fly late aft on xmas day, stay at Munich airport and hire car 7am to saalbach for 8 nights. Flights were £500 for 4 of us but accommodation is getting more expensive by the day as we pay the bulk of it over there :/
snow report
@Scarpa, Ski Amade is clearly an area for sociable snowHead!

cheers - will keep in touch
latest report
Les Gets 17 December to 2 January. DD1's public exams this year mean skiing any other school holiday is out, so we have no choice but to go then if we want to get our ski fix. That said, we've been gong to Les Gets over Christmas for 6 years now, and it's only been the last two years that have had bad snow. Albeit the most spectacularly bad snow imaginable. Fingers crossed the Snow Gods are feeling kind this year.
ski holidays
I have everything crossed for you. I've been to Les Gets when it was green but at least we were able to ski in Avoriaz.

It was only a season or so ago that they re-opened the lifts for mountain biking instead of skiing so may take my downhill bike as well as skis this year! :/
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@chrisrawles, 23.12 - 01.01.17 Arlberg....the snow will be there, unfortunately prices don't drop ime!

hmm, and I see this just as I was trying to decide whether to go skiing just after Christmas and where...
latest report
@adithorp, That was a cracking deal you got last year. I have heard some amazing things about La Ros but then bottle it as the bigger resorts appeal to me more. maybe I need to stop being a snob and give it a try.
ski holidays
Les Deux Alpes, 26th-31st, DIY for £270 (flights, accom and transfers) using Air BnB.

At least with the glacier there will be skiing of some kind regardless of conditions. Haven't been to LDA since Jan 2011 so keen to see how this new blue run to the resort has improved things.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy