Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kids slalom skis?

Poster: A snowHead
ok ski advice needed. I know whats what when it comes to anything over 100mm but am totally clueless when it comes to race skis.

My son has started racing and is doing pretty well and its time to get him some proper slalom race skis - he's currently racing (dry slope) on a pair or fattish rockered twin tips, he's somehow still managing to win but at the last race I could really see the difference the skis were making.

So I'm now looking for a decent slalom race ski (hopefully without breaking the bank). I thought it would be easy as everyone else seems to be on one of about 5 skis (Volkl Racetiger, Fischer RC4, Rossi Hero, Head Rebels, Atomic something) but now I look into it it seems there are about 10 versions of every ski and its hard to tell the difference. The cheaper ones seem to be disguised to look like the good ones with nothing more than a couple of letters after the name to differentiate. I get what GS or SL means but SC, RC, R, WC etc starts to loose me.

Is a cheap £100 SL ski really going to be much difference to a £300 SL ski or are we just talking a few 10ths second in a race. I'm not so worried about giving him every advantage, more about setting him up so he can learn to ski well while he's young.

And then there is the matter of sizing. He is 9 yrs old, 134cm and 27kg, is very happy on his pair of 128 Mantras for off-piste/resort skiing but I'm guessing at maybe a 120cm for dedicated slalom race ski? They'll be used on plastic and snow.

So any help/advice appreciated. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went thru the same process a couple of years ago, I found http://www.my-race.com/c/17/ski-jun to be a good outlet for information and cheap deals on previous seasons gear.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Charliee, I'll have a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@torquil,
you have a PM - may have something for you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on him really to which ski will suit him, each brand will have a different flex and depending how strong a skier he is will determine what he needs. To stiff and he won't be able to flex them to get the performance out of them and too soft he'll over power them. My daughter currently uses Fischer wc rc4 sl and they're perfect for her before that she had Salmon and couldn't flex them as well. Most people go short for dryslope she uses 135's but her off piste skis are a 154. Can't say I've ever seen SL skis for a hundred quid, we usually pay around 300 a pair and she has 1 set to train on and 1 to race. Best advice would be go to someone like Bartlett's and try a few pairs also speak to his coach. Where does he train?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@francium., he trains at Plas Y Brenin with NWSC. I was looking at the Fischer WC RC4 SL as I've found them cheap online, £230ish with raceplate and binding. My worry was they may be too stiff but form what you say they may be perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Fischer is a popular ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@torquil,
There is a vast difference between the £100 and £300 skis. You can but last years RC4s (up to about 120cm) from Europe over the summer for £100 or less, but they are just race badged kids skis. A set of these RC4s are different beasts altogether.

The Fischers seem to be a better flex for most kids. The Sallys and Heads are too stiff for most. Having watched kids skiing the Rossis I suspect they are stiff as well.

If you are going anywhere near London pop into Bartletts. It's just off M4 J4. Terry is a lovely bloke who is always very helpful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@musher, Thanks, thats pretty much what I needed to know - its the 16/17 version of that ski that I was looking at for £230 so i think I'll go for that, I'd always prefer to go to a real shop but I don't get out much… My only question now is 120 or 125cm, part of me thinks go longer so the will last him longer but I guess that is a common trap that is probably better avoided.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A dry slope race lasts 10-20secs, and depending on his level you may only be talking a few tenths of a second difference between a £100 and a £300 ski.

He is same size/weight/age as my son, who uses 115cm Atomic Race 10 junior skis for slalom on plastic but is starting to outgrow these. On snow he uses 130-140cm dynastar team pro open skis (a multi-event ski, rather than having separate SL/GS); his dry slope skis are too short to carry enough speed on snow.

Do you really need a plated ski at this level? Whilst there is a huge difference between the types of ski on paper, I've seen kids on foam core hello kitty skis beat kids on the newest/best wood core race skis... I suspect that as parents many of us want the best for our kids, and splurging £2-500 on skis seems like a way to do that.

You can usually get last season's skis around half price. Ekosport, sport conrad, bartlett's sale page etc.

PS edit to add - for my son (who skis a lot and generally podiums) I would go 120cm. I'd consider 125cm way too long for dry slopes - the 15-yr old who's one of the best skiers in our club is only on 125!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@torquil,
My daughter is 9, a bit taller and about the same weight. She is happy on 120s. I'm keeping the 130s (summer bargain) for next season.

@snowdave,
Some parents have training skis and race skis in the same model (£300 plus). Then there are the freestyle skis and the snow boards. Very expensive if you've got more than one kid snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, yup, I see a lot of vicarious skiing... I wonder what the burnout rate is?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave, I wasn't looking for a plated ski, that's just what I happen to find cheap-ish, TBH I hadn't heard of raceplates until very recently and have no idea what difference they make - and as for Hello Kittys, he just won the Welsh School champs on his battered cheap twin tips, beating lots of expensive race skis so I know the ski isn't everything. But on the other hand you can really see that his twin tips don't have the energy/rebound/speed of something better. He tried a good pair of Volkls and I could see the difference instantly.

I was considering 125cm's so he could race them on snow too but that is only probably one or two races a year, 120 seems like it would be too short for that?

As for vicarious skiing, thats definitely true for me - winter can't come soon enough and I know its my drive thats got him started - luckily for me he loves it for himself too, otherwise I don't think I'd be asking this question at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@torquil, Why not ask Roger H what he thinks ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you use Facebook register on the Racer's Skibay group. Lots of people selling used and little used race equipment for all ages.
ski holidays
@hammerite, yes I'm on Skibay, thanks.

@rjs, I'll ask locally, just thought I'd try the collective snowheads wisdom while I'm working near a computer, thanks.
ski holidays
@torquil, Skibay and Racers Skibay are different groups. As @hammerite says the latter often hs people selling good condition kit.

My son turns 9 next week and races on Salomon X Race JR SL @ 138 cm. He is 147cm tall and I have no idea what he currently weighs but he is likely to be a forwrd rather than a back as his rugby progresses. Toofy Grin

I picked up 2 pairs from Ekosport 18 months ago at a very good price. He uses one pair for training and the other for racing. The training pair have spent a lot of time on Dendix and look crap but are still in good condition where it counts. When it comes time to move them on I'll probably sell the race pair and include the training pair for free.

He tried the new Atomic Redster FIS SL Jr at training a couple of weeks ago and felt they were easier to flex than his current skis. According to the very knowledgeable Atomic rep (a well known ex-racer Smile ) the reason is the plate has chnaged and allows the ski to flex better. My son was begging me to buy him a pair of 138s but he got short shrift at that. I will be getting him two pairs of 145s in the coming weeks but those will be mainly for snow as he is still okay on the 138s on mat.
snow report
@Gaza, thanks, I didn't know about racers skibay, I'll join up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy