Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What bindings are best for off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just seeking a bit of gear advice as I am off to Japan in January and while I am an experienced on piste skier I only have a couple of weeks doing mostly off piste which means going off the side and a bit of back country with an instructor. I'm planning to ski with my more experienced free ride friends who have been to Japan a lot.

My gear question is about skis and bindings. Last season I used a few sets of skis from a ridiculous set of sick day skis that were the width of snow boards to twin tips with 85cm waists off piste. The skis I liked the most were Elan Spectrum 95 Alu and I've decided to buy a set of Elan Spectrum 105 Alu for Japan. I'm going to be on piste a 30% of the time but I am anticipating a lot of snow so a wider waisted ski seems wise...the alternatives widths are 110 and 115.

My question is about bindings. I'm 6'5" and 105kg (16.5 stone in U.K. Terms). I can get a package with bindings included which will save me a few valuable pennies but I'm not very knowledgeable about bindings and the options being offered are:

TYROLIA ATTACK 11 BLK/ORA BRAKE 115 2015

ATOMIC FFG 12 BLACK/WHITE 2016

MARKER GRIFFON 13 BLACK/POWDER BLUE/WHITE 2016

ATOMIC STH2 WTR 13 BLUE/ORANGE 2016

I'd be interested in any views on the best bindings for my height, weight?

Thanks, Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get some Look Pivots. Very easy to get back into them in powder and you may appreciate it in Japan.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Talk to Spiderjon, maybe get a pair of whitedots with vist bindings, they are easy to get on when in the powder, avoid the marker as it's a pig to get on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bigrobski, The Elan Spectrum 105 Alu has a very wide range of reviews, mainly placing it in the all mountain category. For your size/weight I would go wider. I didn't think that Line Sick Day's went wider than 110mm, which certainly isn't wide in the world of deep powder skis.

You mention that you will be skiing with experienced free riders who have been to Japan before. I would ask them what they will be skiing on, in terms of width, otherwise you might be left behind in deep snow. You also mention instructor lead backcountry, if that involves skinning you will need a binding with touring ability.

Just for comparison I'm 6ft and 68kg, and my 'narrow' powder skis are 184cm with 112mm waist.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
Just for comparison I'm 6ft and 68kg, and my 'narrow' powder skis are 184cm with 112mm waist.

I've got to try skiing somewhere that 112 is the narrow pair!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@balernoStu, My 'fat' powder skis are 190cm with 148mm waist. So 112mm is narrow Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a frame touring binding like the Marker Baron or Salomon Guardian. At some point you will want to walk somewhere to access something. Maybe not this year but possibly next year or the year after that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd defo go for a binding with touring capability as gorilla says. Some people have had problems (usually from clamping down with ice build up under frame) but we have been running 3 pairs of Guardian / Atomic Tracker bindings for a few seasons with no problem. A little heavy but a very solid feel for skiing and great for tours of up to 2 - 3 hours. I did get mine quite cheap though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@never summer,

GREAT call on the Look TT's........... Best binding out there, hands down. Easiest as well to attach a powder ribbon (cord) to, as well...............
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
never summer wrote:
Get some Look Pivots. Very easy to get back into them in powder and you may appreciate it in Japan.

I have these bindings on a pair of DPS Cassiar 95a and they are indeed easier to get on in powder than the Marker Jester Pros (similar design to the Griffon) that I run on my Whitesot Preachers.

That said, I really like the Jester - it feels utterly bulletproof. But for alpine bindings, either design will do just fine!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd go for frame binding, so Salomon Guardian etc, especially for Japan. A lot of the best stuff is a short skin and boot packing is rare as the snow is so soft / deep.

I used 106mm last year in Japan (I'm 74kgs) and wouldn't hesitate to say go wider.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dashed, I have two of those Guardian / Tracker bindings in my quiver and love them. Feel totally like an Alpine going down and I've done 3 hr tours on them. You can pick them up quite cheap if you search round.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW, I ski 120mm in Austria on good snow fall days (76kg) and don't feel compromised.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy