Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help me sort out "snow sure"

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm an American who has booked a flight to Munich 12-21 January. Obviously the long-term forecast is not great but I am flexible.

I see lists of "snow sure" ski resorts but it's difficult to parse exactly what that means and what I can extrapolate from it.

For example, Hintertux is "snow sure" -- because of the glacier, obviously. But I never see Mayrhofen or Gerlos on that same list, even though they are a few miles away. Same for Zurs -- it's high elevation, but what about Warth, Kappl, and Schruns?

This list: http://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/austria/sorted/snow-reliability/

...is interesting, but I'm not sure how much to trust it, as SkiWelt has four stars, and from my experience SkiWelt is not really snowy at all.

So -- is there any decent list I can turn to to help me sort things out? The number of ski areas in the Alps is really staggering.

Thanks,

CC
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try this website's lists of Top 10s:

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cloud cult, Snow sure and good snow are often two different things, you are going at a very low season time and you are unlikely to have difficulty securing accommodation in a resort at short notice.
The best snow sure is going where it has just snowed or snow is forecast I would wait till closer to the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks.

Yeah, that's actually the list that seems to come up most frequently. The problem is that I am not that familiar with the area. For example, if Obergurgl has dependable snow, then can I extrapolate that to, say, Serfaus? Serfaus seems to not show up on snowsure lists but is that because the snow is awful or is it just overlooked? The two mountains are like 20 air miles apart.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cloud cult, Serfaus is a brilliant resort - my favourite - but the north side of that valley (Lech etc) gets much more snow.

Lech/Warth/Zurs/St Anton are all linked now so that would be a good bet for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cloud cult, You could just wait until a couple of days before your flight to see where the best snow is; and maybe book a car in advance from Munich so you can drive there. If there is just one or two of you, then I can't see much trouble in you finding accommodation, as your dates are not high-season and limited school holidays.

In can often be the case in Austria that one resort will have fantastic snow; whilst another, no so far away, will have poor snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I go to Tignes/Val D'Isere at that time for dependable snow. Big area, interesting skiing, high resorts and 2 glaciers....but probably too far for you.

Those who suggest waiting until you know where the snow is, are right....but that isn't always practical.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, Tignes is a 9 hour drive from Munich

@cloud cult, 'snow sure' from a european marketing angle tends to mean skiing available on a nearby glacier or a 'high altitude ski area'. The glacier may not be accessed from the resort you're staying in and 'high altutude' is flexible. Obergurgl has skiing 1800m to 3080. Obertauern 1630m - 2315m. I've seen both described as 'high altitude'.

I wouldn't worry about snow at that time of year. There will be some snow somewhere near to Munich you can ski. Make a list of places you like the look of and ask again here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HutToHut wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Tignes is a 9 hour drive from Munich

Yup, which is why I added "probably too far".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nifty edit there, whilst I wrote my post Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HutToHut wrote:
Nifty edit there, whilst I wrote my post Very Happy

Just long enough for me to Google the exact distance (723 km). Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Austria, mid January, they are all statistically snowsure in my experience. You get maybe 1 year in 10 when there is a thaw and a snow drought but, in such years, the glacier resorts get mobbed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In can often be the case in Austria that one resort will have fantastic snow; whilst another, no so far away, will have poor snow.

And in France, too. Of course glaciers are "snow sure" but if the snow elsewhere is awful the glaciers will be horribly busy.

And if that time of january is very cold - as it can be - the much vaunted "snowsureness" of resorts such as Tignes and Val Thorens can translate to high, bleak, windy and unfriendly.

I'd wait and see, as suggested above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also some resorts eg Dolomites have extensive snow making and have cleared all rocks from the pistes. Somewhere like Arraba skis well with as little 20 cm.

On the other hand 20 cm in Val d'Isere is rock hopping misery.

But at that time of the year I would go to Ischgl. 200km from Munich and a straight shot on an excellent road. You won't be disappointed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cloud cult wrote:
Hi,
For example, Hintertux is "snow sure" -- because of the glacier, obviously. But I never see Mayrhofen or Gerlos on that same list, even though they are a few miles away. Same for Zurs -- it's high elevation, but what about Warth, Kappl, and Schruns?

You hit on what 'snowsure' means...a resort with a 3000m glacier or high altitude resort (over 1600m in Austria) with slopes that probably go over 2500m. Places that don't have these don't make the lists...but it's not that they're bad options in all but the most dire conditions.

It also has nothing to do with the quality of snow, that entirely depends on what has fallen in that particular locality in the days before you arrive and during your stay...some areas do have statistically better records in this regard, but is impossible to predict exact on-the-ground conditions this far in advance.

You have 2 options...leave the choice for the last minute or hedge your bets with some of the 'snowsure' options, which often tend to be more expensive.

By mid-January most Austrian ski areas generally have good cover, 2007 was a miserable exception when the Kitzbuhel Hahnenkamm world cup race was cancelled in late Jan due to lack of snow, but Kitz is fairly low at under 800m.

It may be better to think of what else are priorities for your holiday...ski-in, ski-out...lively apres...quality of lodging...extent of ski area...non-skiiing activities...off-piste possibilities...resort charm/facilities...short/easy transfer, etc, etc...and you may get some more focused answers that balance these with good snow reliability.
ski holidays
List of 'snowsure' Austrian resorts:

Hintertux-glacier
Ischgl-high altitude of ski area
Kaprun-glacier
Kuhtai-high altitude resort
Lech/Zurs-high altitude of ski area
Obergurgl-high altitude resort
Obertauern-high altitude resort
Solden-glacier
Stubai Valley-glacier
snow report
@red 27, QUOTE 'Serfaus is a brilliant resort - my favourite - but the north side of that valley (Lech etc) gets much more snow' Not quite sure that red 27 has his geography right. It seems to indicate that Lech & Serfaus are in the same valley. Not by a looong way. If he means the Inn valley, then Ischgl which is on the same side as Serfaus is pretty snow sure at that time of year. Someone has already mentioned the Arlberg, specifically Lech/Zurs/Warth/Schrocken. The last two are actually at the centre of the MOST snow sure area in the Alps in terms of the amount of snow to fall. It is about a 3 hour drive from Munich as is Ischgl
snow report
He also wants town center lodging at 45 euros a night. That rules out Ischgl and St Anton.

Probably B&B on a skibus route in SkiWelt maybe?
latest report
Mid-Jan is peak-Winter in the European Alps.

Pretty much everywhere above ~700m will be snowsure or snowgunned.

You're traveling far. Pick the best.

Within 4hrs of Munich:

Best skiing = Lech (St Anton);
Best scenery = Klosters;
Best atmosphere = St Moritz.
snow report
Snow sure and gets lots of snow are different things.

Gets lots of snow (most in the Alps) = NW Austria - Arlberg, Lech, Warth, Damüls, Montafon (Schruns), etc.

Snow sure means keeps the snow in good condition once it's fallen. Ie high and cold - glaciers, Ischgl, Ötztal (Obergurgl), Val Thorens, Tignes, etc etc.

Bar a catastrophic year everywhere should be good in mid Jan. Just go to the Arlberg and maximise your chance of powder (or hold off accommodation and storm chase).
snow report
It is also used as a marketing term by many places.
Our town (Radstadt) promises a 'snow sure' or ski guarantee.

This is the small print:
" The "snow guarantee" in the name of the package is considered to be fulfilled when lifts are in operation at least in one skiing area for which the ski pass is valid. If this is not the case, you have the option of cancelling your contract free of charge and you will receive a full refund from us for any amount paid up until that point."

Considering we have a glacier on the pass, and the mahoosive size of the pass I think their bases are safely covered!

@cloud cult, In your other post you have mentioned you are holidaying mid January. My advice (much like Douglas Adams') DON'T PANIC!!
latest report
12-21 January is low season in the Alps. This has little to do with snow-sureness, more because January is a dark, cold month with no holidays. No resort will be booked out at full capacity.

Hence, I'd wait and see when the snow arrives. Then you can book with a wider choice if the snow has arrived on time.
snow conditions
What @pam w said. Wait and see. Should have plenty of snow in most places by then. And the higher resorts can be ever so bleak in January...after all, it's a mountain in winter.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice everyone -- very helpful.

I'm going to have a lot more questions!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy