Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving from kids' ESF lessons to adult

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. I'm just in the process of booking lessons for half-term. My 13 year old will be going into adult ski school this time around, and I'm a little puzzled by which level to put him in. He did his Bronze Star last year, and is pretty competent, but there seems to be a contradiction between two sections of the ESF website as to what level he needs to be for the 3rd Stage. One bit (of the same site) says:

"Holders of the \"2ème degré\" qualification able to descend in a basic parallel turn, complete a basic high-speed turn and control sideslipping."

while another says:

"Descent with perfect turns on all types of piste. Perfect direct line. Perfect high-speed turn. Experience of skiing in all types of snow and terrain."

He fulfils the first, but definitely not the second, as there is a huge gap (IMO) between them.

Is it likely that one describes the level you should be now and one the level you are aiming for at the end? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would put him where there is a little more challenge....and he can always be moved if necessary.

...but I would not use ESF if there was any alternative, so it depends where you are. If there is the International Ski School (ESI), I would check them out as well.

Ideally, I would see if there is a British Ski School. They might be a bit more expensive, but class sizes are kept down and the instruction is much better (in the native language).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rainman, the kids seem to have a lot more fun in groups with other teenagers than with staid adults. Is an adult group really the only option? In our local ESF they have "Ados" in between "enfants 7 - 13" and "adultes"

@Old Fartbag, once a skier is well on the way through the ESF system there are arguments to staying with it, especially if you move from resort to resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:

@Old Fartbag, once a skier is well on the way through the ESF system there are arguments to staying with it, especially if you move from resort to resort.

I can only go from my own experience, which is all 4 of my kids gained far more from being in ski schools like Ski Supreme, Evo 2, ESI and Snow Fun (British section), than they ever did stuck in a class of 14 with the ESF. The standard of the teaching in small classes outweighed remaining in a homogenized system.

It's a few years now since we used the ESF, so it's possible they've upped their game.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd echo some of what's been said previously and put him in the higher group if a choice of two. Young adults pick things up so much faster than the rest of us so even if it's a bit of a struggle at first he'll probably be better than the rest of the group by the end. And if it is too high a level for him then don't worry as they'll usually move people up or down as necessary on the first day.

Half term lessons can be a lot busier than Easter but clearly your experience with esf so far is pretty good so I'm sure everything will be fine with the lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, unfortunately, it is. There's no 'teen' group as such in Oz en Oisans, but he will have the benefit of having another, 13 year old, mate with him. Being stuck with a group of adults was one of my main fears - hopefully there might be a few more inbetweeners in the group.

@Old Fartbag, we have only had good experiences of ESF, both in Oz and elsewhere, but I take your point. However, we will have two other kids in ESF in the same village, so it makes life easier - one drop-off time and place for all!

@olderscot, I think that's what we'll do. Thanks for the advice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rainman, if he has a mate with him, they should be absolutely fine. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm delighted to hear that you've had a good experience, which shows they may well be improving...and as Pam has said, having company will make all the difference. My jaundiced experience comes from the "you will learn, even if it kills you" attitude that was prevalent when I was doing this. It nearly put my lot off all together.

I have done the whole "military operation" thing of getting kids up and out for a 9am start, made harder if you are self catering and have a trek to the ski school. ....so all at the one place, at the one time, is crucial for drop off and pick up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

made harder if you are self catering and have a trek to the ski school. ...

absolutely. We made ease of access to ski school meeting place an absolutely top priority when choosing accommodation. There is plenty of self-catering accommodation which makes the whole process easier. IME when you pick up kids from ski school they are hungry and thirsty - being able to take them "home" for a rest and a cheap lunch is great, especially if there is "door step snow" for them to play in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

made harder if you are self catering and have a trek to the ski school. ...

absolutely. We made ease of access to ski school meeting place an absolutely top priority when choosing accommodation. There is plenty of self-catering accommodation which makes the whole process easier. IME when you pick up kids from ski school they are hungry and thirsty - being able to take them "home" for a rest and a cheap lunch is great, especially if there is "door step snow" for them to play in.

Yup, it very quickly became our priority as well. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your son has a friend of the same ability would it be worth looking into private lessons so they can get their ESF gold and complete the medal collection? My children would not be interested in a course leading to an adult medal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowymum, to be honest, he's not that fussed about a medal; he just wants to be able to ski and improve and has always enjoyed group lessons. I must say, I have always thought ESF lessons at under €150 for 6 x 2.5hrs to be one of the better value bits of skiing. Private lessons would bump that cost up significantly, from what I can see?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rainman, It sounds as though your son is best off in the group lessons then.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy