Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Storage in Arcs 1600

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, long time no speak. Hope all are well. Smile

My family are staying in the hotel Cachette, in 1600, in Feb. and many reviews (since vanished after the recent takeover) say there is no ski storage in the hotel.
1) Is this true
2) Do the local ski hire places have ski storage? Esp. the Intersport one (I've seen some suggestions that they do, but nothing official and got no reply when I emailed them).

I know there are lockers by the top of the funicilar, but with the kids having lessons right outside the hotel, we wanted to minimise the time for collecting/storing them.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skanky, don't know the answer to your questions, but welcome back Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@skanky, don't know the answer to your questions, but welcome back Happy

Thank you!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skanky, we've stayed at the Cachette several times. Last season they'd given up their ski storage room, near the hotel back door. However they had an arrangement with the hire shop they recommended, less than 5 minutes walk away, for free overnight storage (possibly Skiset, but not sure). Also I rented skis independently from a nearby Skimium shop and they stored my gear free each night too.
A bit more of a faff each day but we didn't find it too inconvenient. The funicular is a bit of a hike from the hotel, so I wouldn't recommend lockers there.

As you say, ownership of the hotel has changed this season, to the Belambra group. Unless you've checked already, may be worth asking them specifically what equipment storage they have. With any luck, they may spend a few euros renovating the in-house ski room and reopen it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@intermediate, thank you very much for that. Being a bit stupid, it hadn't occurred to me to contact the hotel directly. I'll try them. Even if they haven't re-opened it, they might know all the shops that provide it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The website for the newly owned hotel now explicitly states that their is ski storage at the hotel.

http://www.belambra.com/club-arc-1600-la-cachette/winter/activities#easyneige

So I'll assume it's been renovated and reopened.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skanky, that looks positive but I think I'd confirm before going, maybe emailing or phoning hotel reception.
I recall ski room still shown on previous hotel website as in use, but new arrivals were then told it was closed. Looking at the state of it then, I think it had been out of action for a long time.

BTW, if their ski room is back in use. Many people, including me, skied down the last bit of embankment to the ski room door, rather than walk down a flight of steps. But it needs good control and often a sharp hockey-turn stop. I saw several people overshoot and hit the door or large windows, some very hard. Not a great way to end a day!

Good luck and interested to know eventually how the hotel is under new management. We really enjoyed each of our trips there!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Many people, including me, skied down the last bit of embankment to the ski room door, rather than walk down a flight of steps.

Hire skis I assume
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE,
Quote:

Hire skis I assume

No, I'd have skied down the steps if I'd had hire skis Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
intermediate wrote:
@skanky, that looks positive but I think I'd confirm before going, maybe emailing or phoning hotel reception.
I recall ski room still shown on previous hotel website as in use, but new arrivals were then told it was closed. Looking at the state of it then, I think it had been out of action for a long time.

BTW, if their ski room is back in use. Many people, including me, skied down the last bit of embankment to the ski room door, rather than walk down a flight of steps. But it needs good control and often a sharp hockey-turn stop. I saw several people overshoot and hit the door or large windows, some very hard. Not a great way to end a day!

Good luck and interested to know eventually how the hotel is under new management. We really enjoyed each of our trips there!

Hah! I think I'll be carrying the kids' skis back to there, if it's still the same place. Skullie
Thanks for the advice.

I'll certainly post back on here our experiences of the place. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, whatever experiences there are, they won't be of the Cachette ski storage. After the change of ownership, Crystal now have no rooms in the place for us, so are trying to find us alternative accommodation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know how much the lockers at the top of the funicular cost per day? Or per season? I'm trying to figure out whether it makes sense to buy equipment and store it in a locker for the season, or just rent it two weeks at a time! I haven't been able to find any information online about (a) where to rent equipment for the season (or should I just buy it), (b) where I could store that equipment and how much it would cost.

It would be great to be able to travel back and forth from London and just leave my ski equipment at the slopes, or in Bourg Saint Maurice.

I wish all this information were more readily available. I know it doesn't help that I don't speak French.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Regards,

Melissa
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, just to explain, I bought a season lift ticket and figured I'd just get out to ski as often as I could, with one block of about two weeks in January, but hopefully also returning for long weekends here and there. Ta!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hawkmoon267, there is a ski shop at the bottom of the funicular in Bourg, called Polaire Star. They let you store your luggage there for the day for a small fee, you could call them and ask if you could have a deal for storing your skis there for the season?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hawkmoon267

You can leave skis and boots at Polaire Star ski hire shop at the bottom of the funicular in Bourg Saint Maurice. See Rosie to sort out your requirments and price
wwwpolairestar.com
ski holidays
Okay, thanks! That gives me something to start with.
ski holidays
Arc 1600 prices - from last year I think

Public lockers - €5 day for two people - Go upstairs to load onto ski pass

SkiMium lockers €8 per day - 40 € week
snow report
Awesome. Thank you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy