Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel Free Parking ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been a Courchevel area regular for around the last 10 years, but this year I've managed to book an apartment in 1550 without a parking space. Doh. Having said that the plus side is it's a stones throw from the gondola and supermarket.

I know there are the pay car parks at Grangettes (which seems to be the worlds tightest & smallest spaced car park) and Dou du Midi in 1550, but frankly I object to paying 100 euros to leave the car when I'm already going to be handing the resort probably in excess of a thousand euros on ski passes. Call me tight snowHead

Is there anywhere free to park in 1550 that anyone knows of ? Down near Aquamotion maybe (I don't mind the short walk or bus ride to 1550) ???

We ski Sunday to Saturday and plan to ski on the last day before driving to Lyon to overnight for Sun am flights. I wondered about using the free car park down in Le Praz, dropping the car down there after unloading on arrival and using the resort bus to get back up to 1550. If I rent the the kids ski's down in Le Praz then on the last morning I can ski down, collect the car, drive up to load, drop the car back down, then ski for the day. At the end of the day we all ski to Le Praz, drop kids skis, get in the car and go. A bit of faff but no biggie (and I'm working on the basis that even if I use the pay car park I'll have to exit the car park to load up at the apartment and then go back to drop it for the rest of the day which may involve an extra ticket just for good measure). Or I guess I could leave the car in Le Praz for the week and just use the pay car park for the last day after I've loaded up.

The issue with this plan (other than the faff that will be caused should it snow heavily whilst the car is in the outdoor car park) and the first "How long is a piece of string" question is whether or not I am likely to get a space in one of the free car carks in Le Praz ? We arrive on Sat 31st Dec and expect to get to resort around 3-5pm ? I have no experience of using the main Courchevel (free) car parks, anyone got any advice or experience ??

The second piece of string question is if it does tank it down with snow do they clear the outdoor car parks pretty well ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nowhere that I know of. There is some restricted parking on the road but two years ago when we stayed in 1550 the police were up and down all the time handing out tickets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gazzza, nothing I can think of in 1550 off the top of my head. Should be fine getting parked in Jean Blanc or one of the other free ones in Le Praz as there are always plenty of day users who will be leaving in the afternoon...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're going to courcheval with a family but worried about spending €100 on parking, that's the price of a burger at le tramplin at 1850 Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't imagine there's much free of anything to be found at Courcheval
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
la tania has free parking too, bit far from 1550 though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
897sma wrote:
You're going to courcheval with a family but worried about spending €100 on parking, that's the price of a burger at le tramplin at 1850 Smile

snowHead

It's because I don't shove a hundred euros up my jacksie on things like parking a car that I can afford to take the family to Courchevel. Toofy Grin

I recall taking the kids in Tremplin one afteroon when they were very youngs, I had strict dibs on what they were allowed from the menu Toofy Grin

Serisouly though, 100 euros doesn't go far in some 1850/1650 places but it'll get a decent plat du jour and a drink or two for a family of 4 in some of the decent sensibly priced 3v restaurants. Bouc Blanc, Arc en Ciel, Loy, some of the pizzerias. Its not necessary to pay through the nose in Courchevel. Though the option is always there if you fancy it Toofy Grin

Anyway Cheers. Im thinking I'll try Jean Blanc for the week, if its full I'll swing up to La Tania. On the last day if snow is forcast I'll pay to park to avoid departure faff on the last day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@897sma, @TommyJ, Err, he's not going to CourchevAl.... Toofy Grin

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of @Gazzza, - why throw away a decent amount of dosh (unlkely to be much change from £100, the way the £ is going...) on expensive car parking if there are alternatives?

Great response, by the way, @Gazzza, Very Happy.

It would be interesting to know what the split would be in a vote on this. 1) Can't be ar5ed/money no problem, so pay €100 to park; or 2) vote for a bit of faffing and a considerable saving.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few years ago there was a free car park at the 1650 end of the village - where the village road rejoins the by-pass road. Not sure if it's still there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy