Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Martin de Belleville - Opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just after some advice really. A large group of me and my friends (10 adults) are looking for somewhere in the three valleys. We already have flights booked to Geneva on Sunday 29th Jan - Sunday 5th Feb. Being honest, choosing sunday flights has limited our choice of chalet rental for the week (within our group budget of £3k).

Anyhow, we have found a nice chalet (Chalet Abstragle i think) in St Martin de Belleville, which is reasonably priced. So I was wondering if any fellow snowheads have experience of staying in St Martin at roughly the same time?

A few questions:

* Obviously there is only the main gondola out of St Martin, some of the group are worried that if the gondola breaks / closes due to bad weather then we'll be stuck with no other lifts out of the village. Does anyone know how often / likely this would happen?

* I guess its relatively quite low at 1400m. Would lack of snow be a factor at the end of Jan?

*One of the group might be a non skier, they are unsure yet, so is there anything for them to do if they cant/dont ski?

* Any general opinions about the place would be great. We're all in our 30's so only interested in a few drinks in evening in a bar/pub, nothing fancy!

* Transfers from Geneva on a sunday morning, has anyone got any recommendations for a group our size?

Thanks for any help you can provide, it'll be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having not stayed in St Martin de Belleville myself take what I say with a pinch of salt and wait for conformation from someone who has.

But I am sure there will be a ski bus up to Les Menuires or Val, so I would not worry to much if the lift closes ... not that I really could see it closing unless the weather is truly horrendous.
Likewise, there will be plenty to do in other parts of the valleys, and if your friend chooses not to ski, they could explore those areas, and meet for lunch etc.

I wouldn't worry about snow to much, there will be skiing to be had. I'm not sure on the run down to St Martin de Belleville but you wont be putting your feet up even if we have a warm winter, there is plenty of high skiing to be had.

If I am being perfectly honest you may find hiring a couple of mini busses or people carriers more cost effective for you group size than paying for transfers. Just a thought, it also offers you a little more flexibility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been in Les Menuires for last 5 years and I do not recall any closure due to bad weather/technical issues. Last year they even replace old chairlift, which connect St.Martin with Meribel and Les Menuires with new fast one.

Regarding snow conditions at the end of january -> it depends on the weather but generally speaking you will not face snow shortage in this period. For more information about snow cover you can visit this page and check snow conditions in the past 20 years (http://raylambert.pagesperso-orange.fr/snow/index.htm).

As for place itself... at the bottom of gondola station there are some restaurants and bars and I think you will not have a vivid nightlife.

Regarding connection to other areas in 3 valleys. Two lifts take you to the top Tougnete where you can ski to Meribel or Les Menuires. Val Thorens is little further (2-3 lifts) but not much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to St Martin a few years ago over Easter (a mid April Easter) so will try to answer some of your questions:
Quote:

* Obviously there is only the main gondola out of St Martin, some of the group are worried that if the gondola breaks / closes due to bad weather then we'll be stuck with no other lifts out of the village. Does anyone know how often / likely this would happen?

Highly unlikely and if it does then there is always the option of the infrequent bus to Les Menuires. To be honest I wouldn't consider this a problem. If the weather is that bad most of the rest of the country will be in lock down as well.
Quote:

* I guess its relatively quite low at 1400m. Would lack of snow be a factor at the end of Jan?

This is the same height as Meribel and no one asks that about Meribel. If the snow making cannot generate a strip of snow down then take the telecabine, I did quite often to avoid the porridge on the lower slopes
Quote:

One of the group might be a non skier, they are unsure yet, so is there anything for them to do if they cant/dont ski?

I think there is very little to do for non skiers, not much good hiking, few cliffs for ice climbing. There is a nice via ferrata not far away, but I suspect the road to it would be snow bound.
Quote:

* Any general opinions about the place would be great. We're all in our 30's so only interested in a few drinks in evening in a bar/pub, nothing fancy!

Then St Martin would be ideal, there a number of quiet bars. With a party of 10 I think you will make your own entertainment. The only bit that annoyed us was that we were quite a distance from either of the lifts.
Quote:

You will have to do your own research on this one. Hiring a fleet of cars is one option, or taxis, or getting the train to Moutiers. Or even the transfer busses.
* Transfers from Geneva on a sunday morning, has anyone got any recommendations for a group our size?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worked in St Martin 2 seasons ago. Very quiet village. Undoubtedly the prettiest of all the villages in 3v. A new chairlift was installed which speeds you to the mountain overlooking Meribel and gives access to Les Menuires (ugliest village), & VT higher up the same valley. I don't remember the chair being closed while I was there. Very little for non skiers to do actually in SMDB itself.
Snow cover shouldn't be a problem at that time. Great runs down to the village at the end of the day. A couple of nice little bars for a bit of apres but definitely not a raucous nightlife. Also some really nice restaurants. Several transfer companies operate out of Geneva and will take you direct to the chalet. A party of 10 would probably be better using one of these rather than public transport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi i have friends who had a good experiance with www.alpineviewchalets.com they spoke very heighley of the service
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
www.findtransfers.com will get you a very good transfer price with no calling around.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob.m, Have you looked at la tania in 3v? Similar height, it's very unlikely that the lift will be shut, I can't remember ever it shutting in the times I've been there - but if it is then bus to courchevel(s) is available, and almost zero chance of no snow back to the village as they have excellent snow making on the blue back into la tania, there are quite a few sun-sun chalets there, most companies provide their own transfers too.

www.latania.co.uk has a list of companies, it's worth contacting them with your requirements and budget.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob.m, We were there last season staying with Ski Talini (great organisation run by the delectable Daisy). In answer to your specific questions:

One lift - Yes, it did break down for a couple of hours while we were there. I think this is extremely rare. In this instance our chalet company bussed us up to Les M so it wasn't a big deal. If we hadn't had that backup then we would have lost some skiing time. The bus is pretty useless. However, I think this is such a rare problem I wouldn't worry.

1400m - Not low at all. Shouldn't be the slightest problem for snow cover.

Non-skiers - Not much to do I fear, although one of our party spent many happy hours in the gym/pool at the leisure/sports centre.

General opinions - Great place. Really liked it. Fab skiing over that side of the 3V. Pretty good selection of restaurants.

Do check exactly where the chalet is in relation to the lifts. If my guess is coprrect, then Chalet Astragale is close to the main/fast lift up the mountain. That's great, but the downside is that it is further away (500m) from the heart of the village where the majority of the restaurants are. I don't think that's a big issue and a good tradeoff for being much closer to the main lift (as opposed to the little drag lift that carries you just high enough to ski down to the main lift)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The chalet looks great to me. But bear in mind that like so many of them it is really a chalet-apartment.

It's only 25m from the main lift. And it's a good price. Very pretty village. Go for it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St M is my favourite resort in the 3V and pretty much my fave all round (lottery win would mean a chalet purchase there). Despite having skied in many european alpine resorts, Whistler, California and Japan, it's still my all around top spot.

It is by far the prettiest base in the 3V. The gondola has never broken down in all the weeks I have stayed there, and my guess is that, if it did, the lift company would put in a shuttle bus up to Les Menuires.
As others have said, access to the rest of the 3V is dead easy. You also get the bonus of THE best run in the 3V-Jerusalem...a lovely rolling red run which is never crowded

No problem with the snow in late Jan. There is good snow making down to the village in any event. If you are lucky enough to get a big dump, the offpiste above St Martin is gentle, accessible and huge fun.

For a non skier the options are the usual. There are some nice walks, both along the Doron Valley up stream, and also dedicated walking paths up on the mountain. I think they may allow winter pedestrian access on the chairlift to the top of the ridge-and pedestrians can certainly get up to the midstation in the gondola. The ski school does snow shoe trips too. The St Martin Museum is worth a trip to look at the local history. Up the road in Les Menuires there is a large swimming pool complex.
As to bars-most people end up at the Dahlia at the end of the ski day. I can't say we have sampled the other bars in the village.
There's a good selection of restaurants. It's a lovely atmospheric family resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used www.3vt.co.uk at short notice to get me to Meribel and back cheaply last year. They service St Martin but it might be worth contacting them directly for a price for 10 people rather than the rather scary online quote Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@matejp, you were lucky then. Last Easter all but 1 of the top lifts linking the Bellevillle valley to the Meribel-Mottaret were closed due to high winds several times during the week which was a bit of a problem on the last Saturday as we were trying to get back from Val Thorens to La Tania... The one linking lift that was open was above St. Martin.

They'd also closed the top lifts across the 3V earlier in the week and they ended up busing people between valleys. We went up the Saulire shoebox just before everything closed and it had a significant swing. You could barely stand when you got out at the top.

What it really means is that lifts close, lifts open, that's the nature of being in the mountains.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jd_evans, Yes, the top lifts do close occasionally, but that's the same anywhere. You could as easily get stuck in Courchevel or in Meribel. I think the OP was concerned about not being able to get out of the village at all.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One transfer option would be to hire two cars. It probably wouldn't cost much more than 10 transfers and that way you know you will never gut stuck in the village in the extraordinarily unlikely event of a lift breaking down.
snow report
Thanks for the excellent advice, really appreciate it.

Think we're probably going to go ahead with it. Found some good quotes for transfers on the findtransfers.com

I've read that there is a decent supermarket in St Martin, i'm assuming its like others in the area and is very expensive? If so, im guessing it would be better to try and arrange for transfer to stop at a supermarket on the way in?

Thanks!
ski holidays
@jd_evans: By "never experienced closure" i meant for lower gondola which connects St.Martin with second chairlift up in the mountain. Of course I had a closure of upper lifts and 3 valleys connection due to bad weather (winds and avalanche danger mostly).
snow conditions
@rob.m, Good choice; you will have a great time. SMDB is an oasis of calm and authenticity in the 3 Valleys.

And yes, stop at a big supermarket on the way in to stock-up on food & booze; local shops will be $$$$. Consider packed-lunches if you want to save more $$$; restaurants in Meribel & Courchevel can be a horror-show price-wise.

Also, if you book your skis early online you will find great deals. Search the web for discount codes, and email them for a bulk price as there are 10 of you. The chalet will claim to have special rate for you, but they are often not the cheapest - as they sometimes get a kick-back.

Lastly, when you purchase your ski passes, you can get a discount if there are 3 or more of you. And I would pay the bit extra and get passes for the whole of the 3 Valleys - not just your valley.

Have fun! snowHead
ski holidays
Rob, there is a supermarket in St Martin. It's the huit a huit in the main square. Confusingly, the hours are not 8-8!!!

It is not huge but will have most things. Pricewise an example would be a bottle of wine that I can buy in Moutiers for 6 euros is often 7 to 8. I haven't noticed much price difference between supermarkets in moutiers and Albertville. There's also a deli and at least one patisserie near the square.

St Martin is lovely as long as you are not a slog from the lifts as its on the side of a slope. If far from the lift a car is useful, though the one car park near the gondola gets pretty full.
latest report
@rob.m,
Quote:

If so, im guessing it would be better to try and arrange for transfer to stop at a supermarket on the way in?
That would be good, but:
1. I've never tried it, but I can't imagine many transfer drivers would be happy to sit in Moutiers for 30 minutes while you do your week's shopping. If they are, then it's probably going to cost you which rather defeats the object of the exercise. Of course, this is another advantage to hiring a car.
2. In my experience, if you try and bulk buy at the start of the week you will end up wasting a huge amount and not buying enough of many things. Unless you are very organised and carefully plan meals and booze 'allocations' you may not save much in the end. This is easier to manage with a family of four and a Mrs who tells you when you are allowed wine and insists that you eat broccoli with every meal, but otherwise I'm less convinced.
snow report
Quote:

In my experience, if you try and bulk buy at the start of the week you will end up wasting a huge amount and not buying enough of many things. Unless you are very organised and carefully plan meals and booze 'allocations' you may not save much in the end. This is easier to manage with a family of four and a Mrs who tells you when you are allowed wine and insists that you eat broccoli with every meal, but otherwise I'm less convinced.

We have done this a few times. It just needs careful planning. plan each meal in advance, correct quantities etc and do it. We did it once with everyone with a big rucksack then attacked the supermarket in Val Thorens. The problem was not so much running out afterall there was a supermarket nearby or having too much but storing it all. Now I buy everyhing the day I need it from the little sherpa in Arc1600. To be honest it probably only costs one or two euros per person per day more.

However, the big problem is getting fresh vegtables. @foxtrotzulu, will be very disappointed in that I have been unable to get fresh as opposed to frozen broccoli. But I did find some excellent frozen spinach. It was on the expensive side so reserved for treets.
latest report
[quote="johnE"]
Quote:
But I did find some excellent frozen spinach. It was on the expensive side so reserved for treets.

Popeye Laughing snowHead
snow report
Can you hire a couple of cars instead of trying to get a transfer bus. Then you a. have the option to do your bulk supermarket bulk food/booze stock up on the way in (which can save a packet on food/wine, depending on how much you eat/drink), and b. Have transport to other bits of the resort if the worst does happen and the StM. gondola does go down (which I suspect is pretty rare - if it did break I expect they would lay on buses to one of the other resort centres).

As already mentioned the village is very small and quiet but you can get a beer and a burger at the bottom of the slopes. The slopes down to StM I think are among the quietest in the 3V, so I really like that corner of the 3V for that reason. We've skied down there at late Easter in glorious sunshine on soft snow/slush but it's stil been open to the bottom, and we will no doubt pass through in our early Jan 3v trip coming this year, so I really doubt you'll have an issue whatsoever at the end of Jan.

The Loy restaurant, to the left of the piste from the top of the StM gondola back down to the village, is one of my favourite 3v spots for a decent good value lunch especially on a sunny day on the large open sun terrace. Always a winner.
ski holidays
We go there every year (at least for a day visit). It is one of my favourite places in the 3V.

Only once was there no snow down to the village (last year) and we took the free bus for a 10min ride up to Les Menuires to start out skiing. The wife and I are in our early 30's (just) and the bars are perfect for us! La Dahlia is the destination of choice right off the slopes, but later on get to the 'P' bar (formerly Piano Bar) for lively evenings, live music and the odd quiz night! Some fanastic restaurants and cafes and quite a few little shops in the centre. Has maintained its charm unlike some of the bigger resorts.

We are heading out 7th - 14th Jan (in Les Menuires unfortunately this year) and will usually ski down to SMDB at least once or twice in the week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy