Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis should I rent?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to France next week and am leaving my old and soft Head Cybercarves at home.

I normally ski with a bunch who stick exclusively on-piste. This time I'm with a bunch of boarders who will take me off piste a little. I've tried boarding with them before and know that they don't do a lot in the way of serious off-piste. Mainly they stick within the ski area and just head off a few hundred yards between the pistes.

As there's no snow forecast before next weekend it will probably be all tracked out, crusty or cruddy. I've done about a dozen weeks skiing and am a reasonably competent skier but no great shakes. I can blast down any red at a pretty fast pace but tend to take it carefully when it gets v. steep and or bumpy.

I guess that I need a ski which will be a) great on-piste - I'll still be there 80-90% of the time b) handle a bit of off-piste which might be in not-too-good condition.

My old Head's have served me well but just don't cut the mustard anymore. I've tried a few runs on Crossmax 10's and enjoyed them much, much more than my own skis, but I guess they are not really designed for off-piste. Also tried some quite old xScreams and found them great fun too. But both of these are old hat now so.......

What does anybody recommend?

Cheers.....Richard
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds like any ski from SMZ's middle list in this thread would be worth trying. As it's been cold, you may well find some nice snow, fingers crossed for you.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12605

ie

Volkl Karma(plate now removed for easier fakee landings)
K2 Public Enemy(Same as)
K2 Silencer
Nordica Super Charger
Salomon Foil
Dynastar Nothing but Trouble

I assume (hope) your team have had some basic off piste training and have peeps, shovel & probe?

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also you could look at Dynastar Legend 8000s, Rossignol Bandit B2s, Head iM.77 chips or for something stiffer Stockli Stormrider XLs. You could also try the super-shaped ski's which some people swear by for both on and off-piste performance, such as Atomic Metron B5s and Rossignol Zenith Z9 oversizes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjwagstaff,

I would think a Dynastar 4800 or the Head Monsters M75 - last years- or M77 would be a good place to start. You shouldn't have any trouble getting these in France. These are predomiantly piste skis but if it is a powder day then go specifically bigger. Should be easy to do with hire skis and might not even cost more ...!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies guys,

gregh, Don't worry, my group is sorted with the right kit and experience. I think I'll give the Zookeepers list a miss. As a grey haired, balding 40something I think I'd look a little incongruous on a freestyle ski! The only times I pull tricks or ski backwards it's totally by accident.

JT and ponder, The various Dynastars, the B2's and the monsters are on my list. I've spotted a reasonable deal booking online with a shop in Courchevel which offers the 8000, 4800 and the B2's, but guess that there's no guarantee they'll have them when I get there. Might wait and hunt around the resort. May try a test day if I can find one while I'm there.

Cheers.....Richard
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjwagstaff,

In LP, the 4800 was there in abundance. you might have to trawl a few shops to get what you want but I'd do it...!!!
At a guess, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get those skis in a reasonable sized resort in France
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjwagstaff, Rossi B3, Volkl Karma, K2 Public Enemy, Dynastar Legend 8000/8800 should cover all bases. The Karma and P.E. will give you some Kudos wif the Boarders. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, did you read the original post? I know you like fat skis, but look at what he's asking for:
"I guess that I need a ski which will be a) great on-piste - I'll still be there 80-90% of the time b) handle a bit of off-piste which might be in not-too-good condition."
And he also states:
"The only times I pull tricks or ski backwards it's totally by accident."
Why would you suggest two 85+ waist twin tips (PEs and Karmas)? Why suggest B3s over B2s? And why suggest 8800s (89 wasit) at all - wouldn't the 8000s (79) or even 4800s (74) fit the bill much better?
I agree that for powder skiing, wider skiis are better, but for 80-90% on-piste these skiis seem like very ill-advised suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try the Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator, Dynastar Contact ST 10, Rossi B2, Atomic M:11, Head iXRC 800.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try dunastar legend 4800 - they are a free ride ski that are great on piste. I know i've got a pair
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjwagstaff,

I'm 38 and ski twin tips (Salomon 1080), I just find them fun, both on and offpiste! Try some, you may like 'em

regards,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only just over a day 'till we set off and I've still not got the foggiest what I'll hire. I've made up a list from your suggestions (Sorry SZK, but your freestyle phats are down the bottom of it).

We arrive in the resort in the middle of Sat PM so I'll have plenty of time to bimble round the shops and have a look. Found that a Brit run concern named "Ski Higher" do a test day in Courchevel 1850 every Tuesday. Might give them a try, so that I can make sure I know what I want to either hire or buy for the next trip in March.

Thanks for your help.....Richard
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just put the tape measure against my old CyberCarves, which are from the early days of the carving ski. They're only 60mm at the waist and 95mm at the front end so whatever I try is going to be rather different!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If conditions are soft and the snow is good, I'd think about the 1080s as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, skis giving kudos with boarders? What sort of lightweight board puppies do you hang out with? And why would one care what a boarder thinks?
snow report
rjwagstaff, I wouldn't worry too much about having a specific pair of skis in mind to rent: if you do, Sod's Law dictates that none of the local shops will have it in the right length. By all means go with a shortlist, but you may need to be flexible, or you could waste hours going round every shop in resort, to no avail.

I used Ski Higher in La Tania, and they seem a good outfit. I didn't go on the test day tho. After reading many glowing reviews I really wanted to try some Atomic Metrons, but they didn't have any the right length. I just took their recommendation for the next best thing, couldn't be bothered to spend hours trooping round every shop in the area.
ski holidays
You might be interested that courchevel website was forecasting snow
latest report
If it soft snow then the M77 will be ok for the odd foray of the side, if it is chopped up then these will be ok there as well.
The 4800 is based on the Intuitiv 74 IRCC and that was a great ski in its day for what you want. If the snow is good and on the soft side and you are feeling brave then try the Dynastar 8000 which will perform everywhere bar on ice - there are better skis for that. Easy to handle all over for a 79mm waisted ski. If the conditions are questionable use the shorter lenght but for soft stuff off-piste go longer, ie, if your size is 174 normally and then use the 184, you shouldn't notice 100mm on these. Nose height for lenght if all else fails for a 12 weeker..!!

And take very good note of the avalanche warnings at the lift station...!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy