Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Being a Ski Bum

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I am about to be made redundant but luckily winter is almost here so obviously I should use this opportunity to become a ski bum. I have another job which starts at the beginning of February here in London so have around 3 months free and a budget of around £2500.

Any advice on making the most of this time in the alps? Obviously would like to work as little as possible but will do whatever to make budget stretch (dont mind will happily wash dishes). Are jobs easy to pick up in resort (have decent experience behind a bar but my French is fairly basic)? Or do I really need to sort something out before.

Can you rent apartments for just a few months? Will I need to get a full season ski pass? Have assumed French alps is the place to do it but maybe there is somewhere else to consider?

All help is greatly appreciated

Seb
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am probably a self appointed expert on this. (due to experience)

3 months with £2,500 I would not bother trying to get a job. (especially since you will have one when you return)

Your main expenses will be accomodation and lift passes. (I assume you have your own ski equiment currently and you can ski so you need no instruction)

Staying in one resort for 3 months is one way to keep expenses low, but it also means you are limited in your experience. I have considered getting a European inter rail pass (especially if you are of an age that means this is worthwhile). I did it in a van, and kept accomodation costs down but travel expenses high.

Without a van, or vehicle, inter rail it. Get a month, or more inter rail pass. Sleep on the train sometimes. Stay in youth hostels. Go to Swiss alps, youth hostels are in most resorts. Trains go directly into resorts in St Anton, Zermatt, St Moritz. You can also go to Bourg St Maurice by train, then the furnicular up to La Plagne. Plenty other resorts with rail access. Bus from Bourg St Maurice up to Val d'Isere is frequent.

Do not ski all the time. Watch the weather, choose the best times to go to a resort. Stay cheaply out of resort, youth hostel probably best without a van or a tent.

Then ski hard when in resort.

Accomodation expenses will be higher in resort. Sometimes you can get in and out of resort in one day, just there for the skiing. Bourg St Maurice is much cheaper than Val d'Isere for example,and you could bus it up and down in one day (although the bus fare might make this uneconomical)!

Bear in mind if you stay in youth hostels near resorts, some people will have cars, and spaces in cars for hitchers.

Lugging skis and boots around all over the place might be a burden compared to living in a van. I have not done it this way, only considered it compared to the costs of van living.

I can say that with £2,000 I lived in a van and skied in Europe for more than a month on my own. This included ferry returns, and all petrol costs. In fact it was all inclusive, as I had all my food in tins in the van. (well a good proportion)

However, the van costs up front, so it is not an easy balance.

I would aim for a month inter-railing, and staying in youth hostels. You can only stay in most hostels for 6 days max in resort. However, weather considerations, would probably make me move on before 6 days.

Try not drinking any alcohol for 3 months. You will save a fortune....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigtipper, good effort...but terribly wearing reading about it never mind doing the actual trip
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, I constantly relive the trips (I did multiple trips in the van to Europe over 3-4 years) in my mind. It is one of those memory creating events, which you can relive in your old age many times. It replaces memories, or other traumas to the mind, which over time get erased and only the happy memories remain. Definately worth spending time creating memories which live for your lifetime.

Allegedly, the European parliament is considering giving free inter-rail passes to all 18 years olds on reaching that age. I am not sure of the details, but I would guess it is related to youth unemployment in Europe.

I am sorry if I repeat myself on this board. People keep asking the same questions. I try to alter the details, so that it is less boring for more long standing posters.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did that a few years ago, and have kept on doing it most winters in Austria. Generally their season lift passes make sense if you ski more that 2.5 weeks.

You WILL have fun Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bigtipper wrote:

Allegedly, the European parliament is considering giving free inter-rail passes to all 18 years olds on reaching that age. I am not sure of the details, but I would guess it is related to youth unemployment in Europe.

they won't be free, like everything politicians do, the money will be taken from taxpayers.

I don't remember anyone standing on a manifesto of free shit for 18 year olds at the last Euro elections.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I am sorry if I repeat myself on this board. People keep asking the same questions. I try to alter the details, so that it is less boring for more long standing posters.

Even longstanding snowheads don't always remember what they read a year ago. I understand you get bore repeating yourself. Better just post the link of those previous replies. The OP might be able to get some useful information out of them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Quote:

Even longstanding snowheads don't always remember what they read a year ago. I understand you get bore repeating yourself. Better just post the link of those previous replies. The OP might be able to get some useful information out of them.

Ok here goes,

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76757&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76765&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89517&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89758&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105385&start=40
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112503&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120704&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126506&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bigtipper,

Quote:

You can also go to Bourg St Maurice by train, then the furnicular up to La Plagne.

The funicular from Bourg St Maurice goes to Arc 1600 not La Plagne.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
swiftoid wrote:
@Bigtipper,

Quote:

You can also go to Bourg St Maurice by train, then the furnicular up to La Plagne.

The funicular from Bourg St Maurice goes to Arc 1600 not La Plagne.

But they are linked, so you can consider them one resort once you have a lift pass.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper wrote:

But they are linked, so you can consider them one resort once you have a lift pass.

Only if you have a lift pass that allows you to ski the whole of Paradiski. You can buy Les Arcs or La Plagne only lift passes. You said the funicular would take you into La Plagne and therefore it sounds like a La Plagne lift pass would be all that was required. That's not the case.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have not skied in either, and I defer to your better knowledge on this one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper wrote:
I have not skied in either, and I defer to your better knowledge on this one.

Having skied both a few times I much prefer the skiing in Les Arcs anyway so the idea of taking the train to Bourg then the funicular up is still a good one IMO Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of good ideas there Bigtipper!
I've never had a chance to ski bum for a season ...
But I used to hitch hike down to the alps to ski ... thought nothing of it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Living in a van in a ski resort for months would be pretty miz

So you need a room at least. They are tough to find at reasonable prices and are often booked a year ahead by returning saisonaires. I would start looking in places like Bourg St Maurice and it would be worth your while looking at the French equivalent to Craigslist. budget 300 - 400 euros a month.

Season Les Arcs pass 800 euros that includes the ride up from Bourg.

Make sure you have your EHIC card.

It might pay you to contact the Brit ski companies in the resort and see it they are looking for transfer day reps. One days work a week and you get plugged into the resort reps bush telegraph. They will of course be looking for someone to work through the whole season so keep quiet about your intention to leave at the end of jan.
snow report
Try this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127213#2939774
snow report
Welcome to SHs, @jumbonun. New Year is a very expensive and busy time throughout the Alps. You start your new job at the beginning of February. I'd get some work now, and save some more money, then aim to spend most of January in one place, skiing, not working. Don't wear yourself out inter-railing and spending more time travelling than skiing. Buying a season lift pass makes sense - the Grand Massif in France, bought in advance, is very good value indeed.

Or you could even do 3 - 4 weeks in different UCPA Centres in FRance - look at the Action Outdoors website. You could get full board, rental of equipment, passes, lessons etc for that budget. And get some good social life in, and people to ski with. And not freeze your lonely @rse in a van, sleeping in a bobble hat and living out of tins. wink
ski holidays
I have re-read some of my old posts. It makes me wince at how much alcohol I used to drink. Particularly the binge drinking aspect. (I did tend to have breaks between sessions to allow my liver to recover except when on weeks on holiday)

Since 2006 my alcohol consumption fell dramatically, as I focussed on eliminating some of my excess weight. My BMI fell from about 32 to below 25 in that year, and has stayed between 22-25 since 2007.

I started recording all the food and drink that I consumed at that time, mainly to work out what a balanced diet really meant. As this progressed and became more obsessive, I recorded more and more detail as I gained more interest. Anyway, this graph shows my alcohol consumption since I reached the age of 40.

I am still alive, but only just. Laughing
latest report
jumbonun wrote:
I am about to be made redundant but luckily winter is almost here so obviously I should use this opportunity to become a ski bum. I have another job which starts at the beginning of February here in London so have around 3 months free and a budget of around £2500.

Given you really only have December & January consider the resorts that open early - ie end of November. Eg Tignes, Val D'Isere

Any advice on making the most of this time in the alps? Obviously would like to work as little as possible but will do whatever to make budget stretch (dont mind will happily wash dishes). Are jobs easy to pick up in resort (have decent experience behind a bar but my French is fairly basic)? Or do I really need to sort something out before.

Jobs are not that easy to pick up in resort for a newbie BUT if you are out there when the resort opens you'll have the best chance of finding something.

Can you rent apartments for just a few months? Yes. Will I need to get a full season ski pass? Probably - most resorts season pass is only slightly more than a 4 week pass. Have assumed French alps is the place to do it but maybe there is somewhere else to consider?

All help is greatly appreciated

Seb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy