Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid-February 2017: Zermatt vs. Saas-Fee vs. Val Thorens/Tarentaise Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was pointed to this forum by a user on EpicSki because of the large European community here. We are a family of four (kids aged 6 and 9, older is an intermediate skier, younger is a beginner who can turn successfully on her own). Wife is a strong skier who prefers to stay on piste. I am a strong all-mountain skier.

We're flying into Geneva Feb 18th. Flying out of Paris 10 days later. We have three days to ski in the region. I understand that we are arriving in the heart of European school "ski" break or "ski week" for several countries. That can't be helped! We're coming anyway. The short stay (4 nights) seems to limit our accommodation options, but there are some hotels that have daily rather than weekly rates at that time.

What we're looking for:

1. Snowsure - Zermatt, Saas-Fee, and Val Thorens will all likely be fine in mid February (as will everywhere else)
2. English speaking ski school for our kids
3. Broad range of terrain to challenge us and keep us interested (I don't want to ski the whole mountain in one day)
4. A scenic town, resort, and mountain would be a big benefit for the wife (and by extension, for me)!
5. It would be optimal if travel time to Paris (likely by train) after we're done skiing was 6 hours or less (seems unlikely in Switzerland). Not a deal breaker either way.
6. Car-free town would be a bonus
7. We all want to keep cost down, but I'd rather ensure this is a great trip so willing to pay a bit more to ensure that happens. We're not a 5* family, but a 4* type place or nice 3* place would probably please the wife best.

I started this search presuming we would ski in France (Meribel/Courchevel/Val Thorens, Val D'Isere/Tignes, La Plagne/Les Arcs (Paridiski), Avoriaz) but accommodations are tight and I wasn't sure if it would fit the bill as well as the Swiss resorts. Now strongly considering Zermatt or Saas-Fee instead. Do you have recommendations?

And finally: What is the scoop with all the private ski schools? In the US, all the ski schools are mountain run. However, my initial search suggests several possible schools. Is there a significant difference or one that you would recommend?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on your criteria and balancing everything: I would say Zermatt
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@newsouth, I would look at Switzerland rather than France on two grounds the first is that you are in French school holiday time which means the resorts tend to be very crowded and accommodation for non standard (weekend to weekend ) stays is likely to be very difficult to find.
Secondly Zermatt and I believe Saas Fee are infinitely more attractive than the French Tarentaise resorts whose appeal lie with their access to large ski areas rather than their post modern brutalist architecture. ( Even the scenery is less appealing to many).
Zermatt is a fabulous resort but quite pricey with plenty of skiing to keep you busy its lay out may not be the best with young children and Saas Fee may be better in that respect but I haven't been there to know the ins and outs of it.
Can't help you with specifics onski schools but when we have been to Switzerland with tour kids in general our experiences weere good. We used an independent mainly British on in Zermatt but that was a number of years ago.
If neither of these resorts suit Nendaz is a personal favourite of mine with a good childrens area extensive skiing and stunning views from the resort. The resort architecture itself is not particularly great though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@newsouth, in terms of train travel to Paris, the Swiss resorts in the Valais region (Zermatt, Saas, Verbier, Crans) would work well. Regular TGV services from both Geneva and Lausanne to Paris in 3-3.5hrs. And excellent frequent connections from resorts to mainline stations. Have a look at http://www.seat61.com/Switzerland for details.

No children of my own so no direct experience but we have been to Zermatt on family trips with nieces and nephews of younger age and I don't believe anyone found it problematic.

Zermatt certainly is car-free, offers a wide range of skiing opportunities for a variety of tastes, and is undeniably scenic. I suspect also you would find it easier to get accommodation for your short visit too.

enjoy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt for sure for me. Best resort in Europe ( so far for me in 40 plus years skiing). Expensive yes, but also the best mountain restaurants, and great skiing. Also you can ski into Italy for the day - 2 countries for the price of one. Off again this year. Cannot wait. Train link from Geneva is simple. No train direct to Saas. Train station is under Geneva airport. Switch at Visp to the cog railway. Fantastic. Have a great time. Restaurant recommendation for lunch readily available if you decide to go here
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
P.s. Welcome to snow heads Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for all the great information! I feel like I want to move to Zermatt (or Europe in general). Maybe when the kids are grown . . .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found it relatively easy to find three nights accommodation in Zermatt. Actually not too badly priced either. Probably best to book ASAP though as it seemed to be selling quickly.

I'm also not based in the UK or Europe (Australian) and will be making my first visit to Zermatt next year. I'm very excited about it

Very Happy

You won't regret your Europe trip. So many amazing places to see and ski. Only problem will be finding the money and time for your next trip snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another fan of Zermatt, as @twoodwar, said it is easy to get to from Geneva, look here for accommodation http://www.zermatt.ch/en/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are staying at Hotel la courrone. Perfectly placed, a good standard and reasonably priced. Check out on trip advisor
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt everyday for me also - skiied there most years since learning. I'd get booking accommodation now its a very popular resort although considering the weak pound at the moment you might get less Brits turning up in 2016/17.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Zermatt. Whilst most people wouldn't ski all of Saas Fee in a day, it certainly takes a lot less time than the other options! Have to be particularly careful off piste there too as lots of glacier. I always assumed it would be a bit cheaper than Zermatt but certainly last year, that wasn't really the case.

Not tried any of the ski schools in either I'm afraid
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Summit Ski are excellent - British company, v professional and on par price wise with most of the other schools. We usually use their half day lessons in the AM for the kids in the family and then explore for the PM.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nowhere like Zermatt...if you can afford it, you won't regret it! snowHead

You even get to ski over the border and have lunch in Italy! Cool

France will be mayhem that week...best avoided! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zermatt is overrated, but still very good, and the best on your list.

Scenery is awesome. Atmosphere is cool. Snow record is very good. Skiing is very good, but not great (for experts). Food is good. Nightlife is okay. Shopping is okay. Family-friendly.

Courchevel 1850 is the next best on your list.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy