Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets from Aliexpress

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone bought a ski helmet from the chinese website aliexpress.com? I have bought lots of stuff from there no problem so I'm not worried about the actual website I'm wondering about the quality of the helmets they sell

Ive found out there are three current international standards (ASTM F2040, CEN 1077, Snell RS-9Cool and the Moon brand ones say they are CEN 1077 but someone who bought one said it was easy to dent the outer part of it, so that doesnt sound too good

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fredbob, Leaving aside the certification, are you more concerned about the price or style of the helmets available? You should be able to pick up plenty of discounted helmets with European certification from European websites for £40-60.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The certification is worthless and doesn't test for anything approaching real life.

If you're buying a helmet you're obviously doing so to protect yourself, so either buy from a reputable brand (Sweet, POC) or do enough research into materials and design so that you can recognise which of the cheap Chinese copies are just cheap copies of the real thing and not something cheap that looks like the real thing.

And then feel bad about ripping off the brand that did all the R&D.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Need to be careful with chinese stuff. A lot of lifting / metal based product coming into the uk with BSEN and CE marks that they call their company logo (they slightly adjust the shape) and get away with it!!

Personally when it comes to your head, you only have one so spend the money - that is chose the right product for you.

Besides how are you planning to try a helmet on to ensure it fits - its a long old trip to china......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That said this one looks cool and will make me ski faster

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glide-helmet-GD-E-02-Flying-Helmet-Flight-Helmet-Paraglider-helmet-Buy-helmet-from-China/670278917.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.51.QrK6bk&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_418_10073_10017_10071_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=b57f8c7f-c618-4bc3-869b-44fd07acfa64
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and this one has solved all flat light issues!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Product-Be-Listed-FMA-Improvement-Edition-L-4-G-19-NVG-Aluminum-Frame-Tipper/32738426434.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.359.QrK6bk&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_418_10073_10017_10071_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=b57f8c7f-c618-4bc3-869b-44fd07acfa64
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulC1984, Why not combine the two, and you can ski fast in a whiteout rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, Cracking idea Happy - that said I usually close my eyes anyway Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I would never buy a helmet online, I think you need to see and try them on first hand.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hahaha love that helmet!!!

Yeah I was a little concerned about the safety mark and the build quality etc, but the branded stuff is made in China as well so there must be similar quality ones

and the trying on is kind of a problem from China, but its going to be a problem anyway as there arent any snow gear shops near me

Think I'll carry on looking, thanks everyone
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd forgotten about Decathlon, I presume their helmets should be all certified and good?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fredbob wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone bought a ski helmet from the chinese website aliexpress.com? I have bought lots of stuff from there no problem so I'm not worried about the actual website I'm wondering about the quality of the helmets they sell

Ive found out there are three current international standards (ASTM F2040, CEN 1077, Snell RS-9Cool and the Moon brand ones say they are CEN 1077 but someone who bought one said it was easy to dent the outer part of it, so that doesnt sound too good

Thanks

CEN is NOT CE. It looks similar to the CE logo (whether deliberately or not) but is no where near the same standard. Don't touch with a barge pole.

Confusingly there is actually an EU CEN (ELEC) standard as well.

The easy way to tell the difference is this.

Think of the C as a semicircle, in your head, complete the circle. The E then has a part that overlaps with the right hand side of the circle.

The fake CE has an E that is within the imaginary circle.
http://www.icomuk.co.uk/News_Article/3794/17103/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was this page https://www.skicanada.org/safety/how-to-choose-a-helmet/ where I read about the CEN 1077

and just found this here http://www.xsportsprotective.com/blogs/news/131767427-helmet-safety-standards-list

CE marking indicates that a helmet fulfills the requirements in the European Economic Community (EEC) Directive, 89/686/EEC. This is a mandatory directive, thus helmets must be CE-marked if they are to be sold anywhere in Europe. Since 1994, SP Technical Research Institute of Sweden has been a Notified Body entitled to perform and certify tests for CE-marking. Among the CE markings for action sports helmets are:

EN CE 1077 Ski helmets
EN CE 1078 Bicycle helmets
EN CE 1080 Impact protection helmets for young children

I presume CEN 1077 is just a different way of writing EN CE 1077
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Theres also class A and B helmets, found this post on snow heads - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96089

From what I can see all Decathlon ones are Class B, but then it seems there are very few Class A ones anyway
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loads of Smiths helmets on Sport Pursuit at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy