Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort without gondola's ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@albob, I am surprised you mentioned Flaine as it has two enclosed lifts (DMC and Aup du Veran) and the gondola is the only option up from les carroz if one was to ski down to resort level there. One could stay in Morillon Les Esserts without having to take a gondola but I wonder if @Simon94, might be better off somewhere a bit more off the beaten track this year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowymum, But you can ski most of Flaine/Grand Massif without using the Gondolas ! Simon just needs to check the ski map and work around them ; the same applies if he heads for the rest of the area...…

The plus for Flaine is the easy drive from the UK (you just have to forgive the architecture …!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all for all your replies, afraid Sweden is out of the equation due to flying, but had a quick look at Les Saisies and the area looks ideal for what we are after. Had a quick look on the accommodation and for the time we are going it looks fairly reasonable. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Simon94, no idea if this route is still an option but first time I ever went to Sweden we went over as a family via car ferry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz has plenty of options to allow you to avoid the bubbles and is bigger than many other resorts. It would mean you can’t get to Morzine, Les Gets etc though. You can ski into Switzerland if you want to. I also personally think Avoriaz is great for kids with car free roads, snow park, swimming pool (if open) etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Borovets bubble, is a second hand Italian one iirc.

One of the lifts caught fire when I had the misfortune to go there, at least one other was suffering daily brakedowns.
There were not that many others.

Whilst it was "cheap" in that you did not pay a lot, the value for money was appalling.
Ten years since I went there, but it reminded me of the minor Italian resorts that I learnt to ski in, in the early `80s.

I recall Lech as being mainly chair lifts.
Obertauen also, but the apres ski was more hard core than my brain cells.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In France, the biggest resorts without any gondolas at all are:

Espace Diamant (Les Saisies etc.)
Foret Blanche (Risoul / Vars)
Les Sybelles

I've visited the first two and can wholeheartedly recommend them both. Espace San Bernardo (La Rosiere / La Thuile) is also fully accessible without using the single gondola on the La Thuile side. The Espace Lumiere (Pra Loup / Val d'Allos) also only has one, avoidable gondola.

More important than all this is probably to aim for a quieter resort during low season, if possible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Another shout for El Tarter. One chairlift, one gondola, going up to the same point. Same at Soldeu I think. But as they are very well-connected anyway, it shouldn't be difficult. Don't stop at Canillo though as it is gondola only.

Correct Both El Tarter and Soldeu sectors have chairs as well as the Gondolas - obviously the gondolas are the primary route up so these are where you are directed to when you arrive, so you need to trek a short distance to get to the chairs - especially El Tarter. Also the Pas De La Casa and Grau Roig sectors are all chair lifts (no Gondola at all). Start at any of these four places and you can ski all day (and all the way to Canillo) without ever going near a gondola. Canillo up and down is Gondola only as you say.

Another option is Bansko, Bulgaria - the main route up is a Gondola from the town, but there are shuttle busses (free) or taxis (€10-15) that take you to the top station of the gondola by road. From there it is all chairs (and some ropes and buttons).

Flumserberg you can drive/taxi/bus to the main car park and not use a gondola also.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Galtur, a small area that has only two gondolas, and plenty of chair lifts, linked with Ischgl which has a vast ski area. There are a lot gondolas in Ischgl to access the ski area. I mainly used the Silvretta Bahn from the town, which was always busy (the bus stopped near it and was the first lift we came to). From another area of the town the Pardatschgratbahn gondola was very quiet and the many times we skied down to it we (a group of 4) we had a cabin to ourselves. Skiing back down to the bottom of the valley is always an option at the end of your skiing day to get the bus.
I skied the area in March 2020 (in the week of lockdown in Austria)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy