Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski Goggles.

Poster: A snowHead
Ok
So 5 months today the missus and I fly out to Canada for 10 days of falling over the in the snow Smile

So trying to buy odd's n sods now whilst the 'last year stock' is still at nice prices

But, when i look at goggles i might as well be looking at hydron collider for techinical specs.

Is there things i should look for? or most of the 'technical info' just guff?

For instance i found these
http://www.tkmaxx.com/lilac-and-silver-tone-ski-goggles/invt/02014537

What attracted me to these (apart from the seemingly good price) is the UV factor 3, but should i avoid like the plague, or are they suitable?

So all in just looking for some "What to look for in Goggles" advice or even just a "yes they are fine / good / bad etc"

Cheers in advance

Gaz.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski regularly in Val D'isere and came across a brand called planks. they sell their googles for around £80. However for this you get 2 lenses. One for flat light and one for Sun which i think is amazing. Also £80 is cheaper than most brands. Ive got a few pairs of them now and highly recommend them. you can pick them up online or on ebay. Ive always found the goggles you want are the ones that allow you to see in poor conditions ie whiteout or flat light.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you wear a helmet...which I assume that you do....then you need to try and check compatibility; ideally, then going for the same brand as the helmet manufacturer to ensure a snug fit and proper ventilation flow etc....
Also, bear in mind other factors such as if you sweat a lot (which could freeze on the inside of your goggles in Canada!!) in selecting models with appropriate vents and fat(ter) layers of foam...etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SlipSki, Asking about goggles will get you every possible answer, from the £20 Aldi to the £160 Oakley, are fine.

A few questions to ask yourself:

1. Are they just for bad weather, or will you be wearing them all day. If all day you will need 2 lenses or a compromised single lens.
2. Do you wear a helmet, if so they need to 'fit' together for a given value of fit.
3. Do you you have a big/small nose, as some goggles create pressure on your nose.
4. Face size and shape, as some manufactures offer small and large sizes or styles.
5. Are you careful with your equipment, or do you care for it? If you loose/scratch stuff the £20 end may be the best option.
6. Do they have to match your jacket/helmet. Last years stuff will be the stuff that no one else wanted, maybe due to fashion.

Out of the above the helmet probably has the biggest impact, as the goggles have to have a long enough strap, sit well on the helmet, not create undue pressure on your nose, and not leave excessive gaps around the edges.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no experience of the modern photochromic lenses but have 2 lenses for my Smith IOs - one dark, one light. Which are very good, possibly best ever in 45 years of skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SlipSki, the ones you mention don't look dark enough for a sunny day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Treat buying goggles a bit like buying shoes. They all do much the same thing and can range in price from £5 to £500 and while having the Jimmy Choo/Oakley label on them might win you points from poser crowd it's much more important that they fit. Just like shoes get out and try a few pairs on, while socks/head gear you'll use them with (so helmet/hat, glasses if you will be wearing them, head/earphones, etc).

A pair of £500 Oakley Airwaves goggles with built-in GPS, maps and head-up display aren't much use to you up the mountain if they don't fit the shape of your face/helmet and you have snow blowing in.

About the only 'feature' it's worth having on goggles are interchangable lenses, so you can swap to a yellow lens for poor visibility days. Even then that's not much of a feature if you either don't buy a second lens or are paying £300 for it when you could buying separate pairs with good/bad visibility lenses for £50 each.

The only other edge case I can think of is if you're in the 'sweet spot' of the need-glasses and can't-wear-contacts Venn diagram. Some people have success with OTG (Over The Glasses) goggles but I found goggles that take prescription inserts work best for me.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 28-09-16 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Photochromic - no good.
What is important - (a) field of vision and (b) compatibility with your helmet.

Good field of vision = spherical lense = more expensive. I use giro onset and with my face I can almost forget having goggles on
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have giro helmet and giro onset googles. A good combo for me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are any googles particularly good when snowing etc? I always find they just get loads of water spots on the lenses, then when I wipe my glove over them I cant see anything! I would really like some with "self cleaning" glass or windscreen wipers on!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guys

thanks for the varied replies, yes i will be wearing a helmet given my ability to find my skis higher than my head Smile

Ok will go hunt for multiple lenses Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mooney058 wrote:
Photochromic - no good.

Have to agree with that. I was using Photochromic goggles and found them not dark enough in bright sunlight and not offering enough contrast in poor light conditions. The problem I think is that there are different needs in terms of tint in different conditions, so a lens that only changes the intensity of the tint isn't going to perform anywhere near as well as using different lenses for different conditions .

I've just bought some Oakleys with interchangeable lenses, including the Prizm Rose lens for low light which has had rave reviews on here. Admittedly not cheap, but I lost my patience after falling over three times in as many minutes due to bumps I didn't see! I'm looking forward to seeing (hopefully Toofy Grin ) how they perform
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tubaski, I've found my Bolle photocromatic (or modulator as they call it) okay for £60, it's always going to be a compromise though so you do lose slightly in low light so I bought a second hand pair off eBay that I have used for bad conditions more recently....however I now have some Smith I/OX that I picked up [spoiler=cheap]Currently listed at £140 but I picked them up in a damaged box for under £40) in an Amazon warehouse sale. They have 2 lenses to cover conditions and seem much better...they certainly look better and fit me better.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SlipSki, If you possibly can take your helmet with you and try and find a local shop to try on goggles. Any serious shop will be quite happy to let you do this. Even if you don't find something that fits/you like, at least you will start to get a feel of what works for you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mooney058 wrote:
Photochromic - no good....

Photochromic: I'd never use anything else.
Two lenses is a poor-man's alternative, but I'd hate to go back to that.

It is of course personal choice. Fan-assisted are good if the OP is serious about falling over; they're not needed once you've learnt how to ride. If you're going to Canada then you can usually pick stuff up there cheaply (or in the US); I don't think you need to pay full retail for anything unless you really want a specific design.

As far as what they look like... personally if they're skiing/ riding then I notice if they have style or not, I don't care about what they're wearing.
snow report
Philip1972 wrote:
Are any googles particularly good when snowing etc? I always find they just get loads of water spots on the lenses, then when I wipe my glove over them I cant see anything! I would really like some with "self cleaning" glass or windscreen wipers on!!!

Wondered the same. Dry snow doesnt stick. Wet snow, or even worse freezing rain is a nightmare. Usually end up wiping with my bare hand or a buff in my pocket.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, Ah, not just me then!

Any clever engineers in here who want to invent some windscreen wipers for goggles?
snow conditions
I'm a fan of the Oakley Prizm lens:

Prizm Rose works in all conditions, but is slanted to flat light (and is cheaper as no reflective coating)

Prizm Jade/Saphire/Torch also work in all conditions, but is slightly more slanted towards brighter conditions.

They work better than anything else that I've used....but there is no magic bullet for very flat light, as there is no contrast to highlight.
snow report
philwig wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
Photochromic - no good....

Photochromic: I'd never use anything else.
Two lenses is a poor-man's alternative, but I'd hate to go back to that.

It is of course personal choice. Fan-assisted are good if the OP is serious about falling over; they're not needed once you've learnt how to ride. If you're going to Canada then you can usually pick stuff up there cheaply (or in the US); I don't think you need to pay full retail for anything unless you really want a specific design.

As far as what they look like... personally if they're skiing/ riding then I notice if they have style or not, I don't care about what they're wearing.

Besides photochromic being indeed a poor-man's solution, it is also very anoying when skiing to and from the shade, to and from treas - there was always a lag in they key feature, very annoying and potentially dangerous
latest report
Quote:

some windscreen wipers for goggles

Some gloves have a small rubber wiperblade like ridge on the thumb which is there just for this.
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
Besides photochromic being indeed a poor-man's solution, it is also very anoying when skiing to and from the shade, to and from treas - there was always a lag in they key feature, very annoying and potentially dangerous

What lenses have you used that are so dark in bright areas that they limit vision in shade?!! I'll admit that mine aren't great in flat ligth but I've never had anything even close to what you're suggesting happens.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, I'm with you regarding the Prizm lenses, the best I've used. I'm also a big fan of the Oakley Hi Yellow, which is the best lens I have found when it is dumping, but absolutely useless as soon as it brightens up, and probably causes eye damage in bright sun Shocked
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
... probably causes eye damage in bright sun

I was told by a friend who was an Oakley dealer that the UV protection was provided by the plastic of the lens not the colour.

I have worn clear lenses for a whole morning without any ill effects when I forgot to change them one time.
snow conditions
@rjs, I thought that damage could come from brightness as well as UV?
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
... Besides photochromic being indeed a poor-man's solution, it is also very anoying when skiing to and from the shade, to and from treas - there was always a lag in they key feature, very annoying and potentially dangerous

You misread me: photochromic lenses tend to be more expensive. If you find that a challenge then you can always use the generally cheaper two-lens option.

Of course you would find the "lag" whilst you change lenses even more "dangerous". Dude, get a life.
snow report
@philwig, no, I got it the first time Toofy Grin more expensive than good quality interchanable goggles/lences? I change my lenses in the morning (if need be) in 2 min before heading out. My regular lense is ok for 90% of conditions. And for really flat light I have an adequate lense.

Lag when photocromic lense adjust to varying conditions while skiing was very dangerous and inconvenient. I could have donated my photochromatic goggles to my brother, but I simply binned it.

Unless you ski reaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sllooowwllly .... maybe then it could work ok, but I still doubt it....
snow report
@SlipSki, You've now hit more advice than you could possibly need, but I'd hate to miss out on the fun, so he's my ha'penny worth:

Goggle/Helmet fit is critical
The goggles you have linked to are not amazing value so don't buy them just on the basis of price. Did you want lilac anyway?
Most of the tech stuff is just pseudo cowd00 so don't pay too much attention to it. As long as they are double lensed (any goggles over £10 should be) then they will do the job.
Intchangeabl lenses - some people think they are essential, I'd class them as a 'nice to have' and really wouldn't worry if your goggles don't have them. I've never had goggles with interchangeable lenses.
Price - you can spend silly amounts of money and I think some of us treat goggle buying as a way of scratching the skiing itch and are happy to spend fortunes. All the giggles I've bought over the years have been in the £30-£50 range. You don't need to spend more than that to get a decent pair. Beyond £70 you are probably just paying for the brand, some pseudo science, and fashion.

Have a look at Amazon to see what's available for your price range? If you buy from the them expect to send at least one pair back due to fit issues.

Remember that with goggle fit you want to make sure they conform well to your helmet, BUT there mus still be enough of a gap to allow airflow. Lack of airflow is the reason goggles mist up.
ski holidays
"Intchangeabl lenses - some people think they are essential, I'd class them as a 'nice to have' and really wouldn't worry if your goggles don't have them. I've never had goggles with interchangeable lenses. "

Incorrect, if you are usually in a helmet and wearing goggles.

My lowlight lenses are not strong enough for a sunny day. But essentially light for a crappy day.

My stronger lenses are fine on most sunny days except when we get into late season.

I have a new pair of really dark ones for those glary, glaciated sort of days.

Mind you, I tend to ski around 60 days a year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned earlier on, some
Gloves have the wiper blade on them, my current ones don't, but apart from that I love them, anyone tried one of these -

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324

Made for motorbiking, but can't see why it would work with ski goggles right?
snow report
@mikeholmes25, Suppose it could work, but a bike helmet visor is quite a bit bigger than a goggle lens (Rurocs and some massive Oakleys aside!) so it might be a bit big if your goggles have a frame.
ski holidays
Yeah, obviously it's never going to completely clear from edge to edge without taking your goggles off, but I might give one a go and throw it in my bag, mainly after the experience of a sh!tty rainy final day in les arcs earlier his year!

And I suppose it would come in handy for the motorbike I'm buying also.....
latest report
I have had many pairs of goggles. The main issue with goggles is they mist up easily. If you wear a helmet, there is less of a tendency for goggles to mist up. However, I find the best way to ensure no misting, is to wear cheap sunglasses.

Cheap sunglasses, because I tend to break goggles and sunglasses with frequency. Cheap sunglasses, because they allow air to flow and clear the mist.

The only time I would wear goggles, is when it is snowing, or in deep snow. I tend not to ski when it is snowing, and can make do with cheap sunglasses in deep snow.

Having said that, I recently purchased a pair of ski goggles for £3 in a charity shop. I tried them on, examined the large air flow gaps at the top and bottem, and realised these were ideal at the price for testing my theory on air flow is the main issue. These were not a brand name to be seen on the slopes with, in fact they are only made for children. However, as they fitted in the shop, this was clearly not an issue.

I figured that at £3 I could use the goggles to protect my eyes when using a high pressure hose. So they have multiple uses, like painting things above your head.

I have expensive pairs from the side of the slopes in Val D, expensive pairs from UK shops, none have been good at stopping misting up. Nowhere near as good as wrap around sunglasses, or big lens sunglasses, which keep the sunshine off your face and away from your eyes best.

I am not convinced by goggle claims, due to my experience. However, I am in the minority, as most people still buy and wear them. Maybe I just ski harder, sweat more, and break more than others.
latest report
Quote:

I recently purchased a pair of ski goggles for £3 in a charity shop

Spendthrift! Couple of wraps-around your head with some clingfilm would do you! Though for prolonged use you might want to poke an airhole or something I suppose.
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:
I have had many pairs of goggles. The main issue with goggles is they mist up easily. If you wear a helmet, there is less of a tendency for goggles to mist up. However, I find the best way to ensure no misting, is to wear cheap sunglasses.

Cheap sunglasses, because I tend to break goggles and sunglasses with frequency. Cheap sunglasses, because they allow air to flow and clear the mist.

The only time I would wear goggles, is when it is snowing, or in deep snow. I tend not to ski when it is snowing, and can make do with cheap sunglasses in deep snow.

Having said that, I recently purchased a pair of ski goggles for £3 in a charity shop. I tried them on, examined the large air flow gaps at the top and bottem, and realised these were ideal at the price for testing my theory on air flow is the main issue. These were not a brand name to be seen on the slopes with, in fact they are only made for children. However, as they fitted in the shop, this was clearly not an issue.

I figured that at £3 I could use the goggles to protect my eyes when using a high pressure hose. So they have multiple uses, like painting things above your head.

I have expensive pairs from the side of the slopes in Val D, expensive pairs from UK shops, none have been good at stopping misting up. Nowhere near as good as wrap around sunglasses, or big lens sunglasses, which keep the sunshine off your face and away from your eyes best.

I am not convinced by goggle claims, due to my experience. However, I am in the minority, as most people still buy and wear them. Maybe I just ski harder, sweat more, and break more than others.

some good points - but if you ski fast the air flow should dissipate the mist? maybe you are just skiing too slow Laughing Laughing
on a serious note - could not ski with sunnies - too much wind and cold going through my eyes - they became so wattery that I can hardly see ... giro onset did not fog for me - maybe once only but not when actually skiing, when searching for a lost ski in deep snow Embarassed
snow report
@mooney058,
Quote:

on a serious note - could not ski with sunnies - too much wind and cold going through my eyes - they became so wattery that I can hardly see ..

That can be an issue, but then I discovered these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supertrip-Glasses-Protective-Motorcycle-Sunglasses/dp/B015ZO4D26/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1475157803&sr=1-2&keywords=padded+sunglasses&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@mooney058,
Quote:

on a serious note - could not ski with sunnies - too much wind and cold going through my eyes - they became so wattery that I can hardly see ..

That can be an issue, but then I discovered these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supertrip-Glasses-Protective-Motorcycle-Sunglasses/dp/B015ZO4D26/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1475157803&sr=1-2&keywords=padded+sunglasses&tag=amz07b-21

Why? Look hideous to me.... I love my goggles - (a) comfortable and functional; (b) perfect field of vission - no obstruction at all; (c) protects against elements - snow, rain, wind, cold, sun; (d) do not mist/fog.

After ski boots I rate goggles as the second most important piece of ski equipment for safety and comfort - no see=no ski
snowHead
latest report
@mooney058, I think we've all been through the goggles vs sunglasses argument too many times to rehash it again here. That said, I think almost any pair of goggles is likely to be beaten by almost any pair of sunglasses on points b and d. Point a is down to personal preference. Point c is where goggles have the advantage. Anyway, the real point is that some people prefer to wear sunglasses on some days. For those people, and sometimes I'm one of them, then 'padded' sunglasses are a great solution. I didn't specifically mean the exact ones I'd linked to, just sunglasses with enough padding to keep the icy draft off your eyeballs.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, I'm happy with goggles in 100% situations so do not need alternative solutions. Personal preference - indeed, I have no issues people wearing sunglasses, just because they bought wrong goggles is a completely differetnt argument. People can wear swimming glasses/mask if that works for them
Also the topic is "which goggles"
snow report
@mooney058,
Quote:

Also the topic is "which goggles"

Indeed. I was merely responding to the 'my eyes water when wearing sunglasses' bit.

BTW, don't forget they aren't really an 'alternative' solution as most people will want sunglasses for lunchtime on the terrace of a mountain restaurant so will probably end up carrying sunglasses anyway. Then again, I have seen people wearing their goggles while drinking beer / eating lunch. No comment!

I do also think that outside the Snowheads bubble a lot of skiers/snowboarders would probably be thinking .. "For God's sake you lot, they are ONLY goggles"!
snow report
I've found the photochromic Smith lens (Red sensor) to be excellent (with a Smith helmet, obviously the goggles fit perfectly too).

Skied in overcast conditions to bright blue sky days, and also floodlit night skiing in them.
Unless you have very sensitive eyes or are hiking all day long on a glacier in summer, they're great.

As for 'lag' - hah. Presumably on a bright sunny day, that particular poster stops before going in to the trees to change his lens?

(If you don't mind the cost or can find them on discount the combination of a Smith Vantage helmet and Smith goggle worked great(for ventialation and no fogging) in hot sunny weather as well as the -20 degc i also 'enjoyed' - and the Smith I/O range with red sensor option has a few different sized frames too for different head sizes.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy