Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Anton advice for Jan 21-28

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to visit the St. Anton area in January. Two guys, good skiers, on a budget. We are past our partying years so a couple of pubs and some simple restaurants will do nicely for night life.

Pettneu seems like an obvious budget conscious choice but how much of a hassle is the ski bus? And does the ski bus simply drop you in St. Anton just in time to join the largest lines of the day?

Lech and Zurs also seem like a good fit. On the lift network and centrally located, especially given the new lifts being added.

We are weighing the option of half board vs. a small apartment vs. only breakfast included. I did the apartment option in France two years ago and it was fine but the price of groceries was a bit of a shock. Also would prefer an actual stand up enclosed shower rather than the tub and hand held showerhead nightmare that seems so common in Europe.

Will likely fly into Zurich. I rented a car in France, loved it. We do not have all wheel drive, six speed manual Golf turbo diesels here so that was a nice change. Zurich to Arlberg seems very well connected by train so that is an option, but is a car handy in the St. Anton area?

Lots of questions I know, but really just looking for some friendly advice. So if you know a particular hotel in a suitable spot that sounds like it would work for us, please let me know.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been a few times and the tourist office/official homepage has an accommodation search function - best way to find local B&Bs.

The other way is to use google maps and search St Anton B&B. I did that and just emailed a few of them.

Ended up finding a great little place up the hill from the Galzigbahn for not much money. Haus Flatcher or something like that.

Note that Austrian Twin beds are really a double bed with two single duvets!!

Just get the train. Make sure you don't arrive in Zurich too late or you'll miss the last train to St Anton. Book it in advance and it'll be cheaper. Definitely don't bother with a car when the train is available into resort with just one change in Zurich central.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
-On a budget, Lech and definitely Zürs, are more difficult than St.Anton. Stuben might be a good idea, but still more expensive than Pettneu
-Austria has fewer apartments than France, and 2-person appartments are very scarce.
-In France, the price differential between low and high season is (much) larger than in the Arlberg area.
-Forget about the car, it is useless, and not good for your budget
-From Zürich, Arlberg Express offers good shuttles up to 4 times a day. Might be a good alternative for the train.
-Tub+hand held showers are not typical for Europe, but for 1980-ies hotels Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pettneu ski busses run throughout the day, last free one is about 6pm IIRC, and then there are post busses that run until about 8pm (€2.90 one way last season) and then night busses through until around 3:30am (€5 one way). More ski busses obviously at peak times, but they still run about every half hour or so through the day most of the season. The timetables are available from the tourist office website which will give you an idea.

No real need for a car, pretty much everything in connected and a good network of ski busses too. Train or the already mentioned Arlberg Express work well, and more relaxing than driving can be. January is a quiet time so you shouldn't have too much problem finding somewhere to stay, the tourist office again is a good place to start.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@xtr, Train from ZHR to St Anton, if budget allows stay in a cheap central b&b always clean (look on st anton tourist info website for b&b or Pension accommodation, eg Haus Roman Falch or Haus Elisabeth), loads of places to get all types of food and après. You don't need a car, buses are excellent, trains cheap if booked early and service is great. You don't need to stay in Lech or Zurs, more expensive and so easy to access via new lift from Rauz over to Zurs (has never been an issue but next season new lifts will make it super easy).

Jnauary imo is the best time of the year to ski there, we always ski January, we're there wk 2 January and also week after you, cheap rooms, empty pistes and no kids about....can be very cold though.

Pettneu is great btw but at a time when the days are short I'd rather be skiing than sat on a bus start and end of the day, 1/2 hour each way including queueing/ messing about. Stay central St Anton.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its all been said above really. Great, fast modern train from zurich, stay central st anton.

For a couple of beers in a quieter place we enjoy Pub 37-if you can get a seat!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you. Lots of great advice. So train and central St. Anton it is. Let the hunting begin!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed here last year. Fantastic hotel, right by one of the main lifts. Family run, very friendly.

http://www.europahotel.at/en

€85 EUR for a double room per night, including good breakfast and use of spar.

Train from Zurich to St. Anton is good. But check carefully on the train website which platforms you will be on etc. First you take a shuttle train from Zurich airport to Zurich main rail station; then a train to St. Anton. And the train from Zurich main rail station to St. Anton splits in half at some point — so be in the right half!

Plus the earlier you book the train, the cheaper it will be. You can book online at: http://www.oebb.at/en/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@PeDaSp, Its a decent supermarket too, good deal! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ha! Actually, there is a Shell petrol station shop 2 or 3 buildings down that is open 24/7. Great for when you stumble back late and you want a snack, chocolate or bottle of wine. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
don't overlook the Arlberg Express option recommended above also. If one of their departures matches up with your plane schedule, it's a good option. You don't have to worry about this kind of stuff:

"First you take a shuttle train from Zurich airport to Zurich main rail station; then a train to St. Anton. And the train from Zurich main rail station to St. Anton splits in half at some point — so be in the right half!"

Just walk out of the airport and load yourself onto a very comfy motorcoach that drops you conveniently in the middle of town.

Stuben is a good option for lodging too if you are ok with something really quiet. Best pure skiing location in the Arlberg in my opinion because you start the day right in the middle and have the option to go either direction. It's a haul to ski from St. Anton all the way to Lech and back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mr. mike, agreed! Not only that, lugging all your skis around the platforms and trains is a nightmare.

I could imagine the door to door time is the same? You still have to take a taxi from the train station to the centre of town. So coach is a better bet.

Tip if you do take the train: don't bother reserving a seat, as you will be in a crammed carriage of reserved seats, rather than an empty one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@PeDaSp, Its a decent supermarket too, good deal! wink

I'd be loading up a shopping trolley as soon as I got there! wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 29-09-16 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It sounds like Pettneu is the the place for you.

I havent stayed there for about 20 years, but you could drink yourself stupid and fall off the stool in the Stadl.
I must admit I had a car there which was handy, as you could drive round to St Christoph and park where there was no queues in the morning.

Having said that I never really found a problem with queues then, its probably a lot worse now.

Anyway enjoy ... Dont miss the slide to the loo in The Hospice at St Christoph
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kelskii, I was going to amend my post, but seeing as it's the sauce wink of such merriment, I will leave it be! Mr. Green
latest report
PeDaSp wrote:
@mr. mike

Tip if you do take the train: don't bother reserving a seat, as you will be in a crammed carriage of reserved seats, rather than an empty one.

Hmmm... not sure about that, for if you reserve a seat online, you can pick your seat. Further, if you are leaving StA on Saturday morning, in Economy/2nd Class, and you don't have a reserved seat, then lotsa' luck.

Somebody also stated that the ZRH to StA train splits. Not that I have experienced. Yes, at Buchs, it reverses direction. Maybe it does split, but with a reserved seat, you are always in the right part.
ski holidays
Weekend travel (changover) is busy. Reserve seats to avoid disappointment. You could/may find unreserved seats as its not high season when you are traveling but your party maybe spread around the train.

The train is Direct to Zurich. No need to change just sit there enjoy the scenery.

Taxis are Expensive in St Anton. they are not metered. Every trip is a fixed fare.

Late night Taxis to Pettneu and beyond get very expensive.
ski holidays
PeDaSp wrote:
Stayed here last year. Fantastic hotel, right by one of the main lifts. Family run, very friendly.

http://www.europahotel.at/en

Train from Zurich to St. Anton is good. But check carefully on the train website which platforms you will be on etc. First you take a shuttle train from Zurich airport to Zurich main rail station; then a train to St. Anton. And the train from Zurich main rail station to St. Anton splits in half at some point — so be in the right half!

Plus the earlier you book the train, the cheaper it will be. You can book online at: http://www.oebb.at/en/

Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I've been looking for somewhere to stay in Lech or St Anton early February that is nice but not priced extortionately Very Happy
latest report
I can recommend a nicr Hotel (1/2 board) 20mins nonstop direct down valley. Bus stops outside the Hotel . Around €350 per week all in. Ic Sauna. Boot/Ski storage by lifts in St Anton.

Pm me.
ski holidays
Sounds good Stanton but I'm only after 4 nights, not a whole week. Can they do that as an option?
snow report
@Raven, more chance down valley. But not ifvyou overlay 2 weeks i.e Thurs to Sunday

Arlberg is not a weekend dedtinstion unless you have car or live in Innsbruck
snow report
I'm doing Sat to Wed so not so bad. I do have a place already booked (can cancel) right on the piste. It sold out of some rooms a couple of days after I booked so early Feb looks busy.
ski holidays
Thanks again for the replies.

There are many options that we have looked at but for now we are thinking an apartment will work best for us. Separate sleeping areas so I can snore the night away without being murdered in my sleep being a big factor.....

So we have three basic options that are as follows:

Ski in and out from the blue beside the Galzigbahn.

Several places about 1 km SW of the Galzigbahn base.

Two places about 1 km E of the Nassereinbahn base.

All of the options are between 650-800 euros for the week and are about 30 m2 with a separate bedroom

I realise that each option/area has issues and benefits but any major concerns that may not be obvious to a first time visitor?
latest report
Doublecheck the location of the first one you're mentioning.
It might be high up in the "Moos" part of St.Anton, which is very far (winding) and steep from the village centre.
ski holidays
@xtr, Pettneu is lovely but it's very quiet in the evening. Morning busses are OK if you follow the timetable but always packed, and getting home is a ball ache because free buses stop around 6 and paid every 1/2 hour thereafter. Have you looked at chalet options? Flights, transfers & food all accounted for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy