Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

foot steering?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mr Lederhosen wrote:

Bumps = depends - smallish ones, pivot on the top and carve around into the drop. Big bumps, carve through the valleys between.
So you rotate the first half of the turn and then blend in much more edge grip in the second half of the turn when you scrape down the bump. IN what way is that not rotation?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crikey!

As someone who can nearly, and is still on journey (which I know will never end)
I just find I cant concentrate on all these elements at once and that for me personally, I have to keep bashing away at it (Skiing that is).

As we ski or walk or cycle anything like that our boddies pick up "feed back" in what works and what dosent.
As long as we have somebody that can keep a coaching eye on us and pull us up when we are developing and perfecting bad habits, we move forward sometimes quickly or sometimes painfully slowly to a better level.

I suppose its about getting in the mileage.

I have particular milestones that I want to get past and they are proving difficult, principly because I avoid them rather than fronting up to them.
There is the Moguls, which intimadate me.
Then there is the elusive "Powda", I cant understand why I have such a fear of this fluffy white stuff that is so soft to fall in and such fun to ride when you get it right for a few seconds.

I think our feet and muscles have an inbuilt "system" that works independantly of our "thinking brain", that looks after the business.
I mean how to you get a baby to the toddler stage?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn wrote:
As someone who can nearly, and is still on journey (which I know will never end)
I just find I cant concentrate on all these elements at once and
You're not alone in that. I don't think anyone can deal with many factors at once when they are developing a new skill, particularly if all they have to go on is fairly technical language picked up on the internet. Much better to focus on individual skiing skills, through practice or drills, perhaps with feedback from an external observer, and gradually build up your fundamentals. Then when you are free skiing your body should just use whatever skills you need to achieve the outcome your require, hopefully without having to think too hard about it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi rob@rar,
I've started again yesterday in the Hemel Fridge.
I'm sure you know they put some bumps in this weekend for us to play in.
Anyway, I went there just to keep working on the Mogul Technique (if there is such a thing)
And I did come away with a smile on my face.
Kieren gave me a few pointers, and because I was doing it repeatedly I did improve.

Of course I controlled environment such as "the Fridge" is going to be a different story to a
windy convex steep bit with rocks showing through and bad light with thousands of meters to fall down and people struggling down in front of and behind you.
But every little helps!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, yeah, I was teaching there all day, running a moguls clinic. Part of the attraction of Hemel, and the other indoor slopes, as a teaching venue is the controlled environment. Different to learning in resort, to a certain extent, but definitely useful. Although it's a controlled environment it's not a fixed environment - yesterday, for example, the bumps evolved as the day went on, getting a bit smoother and rounder from the icy pinnacles we started with!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy