Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated gloves for a 4yo

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

Ive searched the internet and cant seem to find heated gloves/mits for tots, much like the Hestra Power mits you can get for adults.

Is there such a thing??

OK so I know you can get the tea bags, but they don't seem to be as effective.

Anybody know of anything out there??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no... and I'm slightly surprised they'd need them?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ordinarily wouldn't bother, but off to Lapland for crimbo/new year and it'll be a bit chilly. Im probably being a bit techy and trying to find a solution to a problem where the tea bags will suffice, but my experience is the don't tend to last long and cant be bothered with the faff of changing them out all the time
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PaulC1984, Something like the Hot Rox maybe?

http://www.thehotrox.co.uk/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mittens and silk liners should do it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
having taken a lot of children skiing over the years and racing in temps as low as -37 we've always used the 't bags' its not that they don't work its you need to use them properly. After many trials we've found the best thing is to take them out of the packet give a good shake and put them into the gloves...... at breakfast, ie when still indoors and not being worn, then by the time you're ready to go out the gloves will be very warm!! we buy them by the bucket load from Sport Direct, you can get them for about 50p a pair if you get your timing right. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Likewise we use silk liners, t-bags and mitts. I think our last box of ?40? t-bags from costco was about a tenner. Previous one was about £15 from Amazon. As @iskar, says, get the t-bags in early with plenty of time to warm up.

Boots on the other hand are a PITA. I think I'm going to end up with electric insoles for the kids, having failed on everything else (not enough oxygen for t bags).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, Thanks for this. Boots we have sorted, already have the Therm-IC for him Happy

@PowderAdict, I like the look of the Hot Rox, ill have to grab some and see how big they are - maybe a bit to big for his mitts

@iskar, Thanks for this, very useful. I have dozen of packs in the cupboard from last year, perhaps its me using them wrong Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984, The Hot Rox was just an example, there are also a number of different sized ones from Energy Flux, and I am sure others as well.

I've used both Hot Rox and Energyflux and they work well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, Thanks muchly ill have a google Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about small neoprene mitts that you can get to go with kids wetsuits. V toasty.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found that teabags vary a lot in quality. the good ones easily last 8 hours.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PaulC1984, rule 5.

My first ski outing aged 5 ish was in welly boots clamped into pressed steel toe vices (yes, my feet did bleed - and leather ski boots were rented for the next days) on wooden skis.

Heated gloves? We were lucky to have a heater in the car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, hahaha. Nit sure where to start with that.

Wooden skis? What are those! And leather boots, what were you a cave man..... 😊😊😊

Ordinarily he's chucked out in the mud, is encouraged to have as many life experiences as possible, but frozen fingers and toes ill try to avoid Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One way to help avoid frozen fingers is activity. They don't get cold toboganning, pulling their toboggans back up the slope.

I had leather boots and wooden skis too, learning in Norway in (ski length was determined by stretching an arm above the head - for beginners we were given skis as high as our fingers). Don't remember the bindings but they were nothing like today - kind of wires and springs.
snow report
I had wooden skis too. The bindings consisted of a long circular spring with a handle/clip on the front of the ski. You'd but your foot in between the toe and heel clamp and flip the clip forward to tighten the spring. The release binding was then tied around your ankle so the ski never left your leg. If you took a bad tumble your skis would come off and batter you over your head, arms and body several times before you stopped. All good fun.
ski holidays
I was born and raised in THE most northern US state of the 48 contiguous - hint: look on a map, it ain't Maine or Washington. It's still my primary home. Routine winters realize weeks of negative 10, 20, 30, 40 + below. Not great skiing but the best skating in the country, hands down period. Any good parent sees to it that junior or juniorette are well dressed to go and we were and did. Every kid loves winter, snow, ice and the rest. Get the kid a good set of winter clothing starting with long underwear and work from there.........
Hands........? Mittens always do a warmer job to that of gloves but none of us ever liked "choppers" as we called them and so it was gloves. Ya, our hands sometimes got cold but it was no big deal.
As one posted..........., activity is key and kids notoriously run warm. How many times I'd come in for dinner with red hands and face....... I'm still going strong................................
ski holidays
Quote:

your skis would come off and batter you over your head, arms and body

That was reason 1. why I had a helmet at age 6. reason 2 being wooden T-bars which would do the same and 3. adults who couldn't carry their skis properly.

Reason 3 is still valid 40 odd years later.

@SarahB, back then, (in Scotland at least) pretty much everyone's bindings looked and functioned like that, the only difference being that adults had releasing toes (and you could on some models set the spring loops to release). Wikipedia has this very wrong "by the late 1960s, the cable binding had disappeared from alpine skiing" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_binding as cable bindings were still quite apparent (if my youthful mind has it right) in Scotland in 1971.
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, buy what the locals buy? I can't imagine they want their kids getting frostbite either. I doubt they use heated mitts but there's probably a better choice of true cold weather gear available locally. It's certainly easier to find cold weather gear in regular shops in Sweden than in the UK, and Gothenburg isn't really much colder than the northern half if the UK.
snow report
good tea bags should be fine, I was in Finland last year with my 8yr old and despite skiing 9:30am till 7pm most days they were still warm when I took them out of his gloves every evening - it was around -20c most of the time. 50p a pair from kickbacksports/sportsdirect normally.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy