Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Im going on my first ski trip in January 2007 and need advice on which goggles to buy (not too expensice).

Ive heard that I need double lenses to stop them fogging. Is this necessary when most goggles are supoosed to be anti fog?

Any help appreciated. Thx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Double lenses will be betterthan single lenses without a doubt.

It's sometimes woirth payig a little more to get quality which will last. I use oakley's L-frames - at least I think that's what they're called. I very rarely wear anything else as they're fine even on sunny days - although I did swtich to sunglasses at the eosb in april last year. They've very comfortable, and I can't remember them ever fogging up - they cost around £40 think.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wavey, Yep, double lenses are a must to stop fogging, as is plenty of vent slots around the frame. Uvex offer some great models at sensible money. To save dosh you can use sunglasses for bright light & get a pair of goggles with a low light lens (persimmon/orange tint) for poor conditions. When wearing goggles don't be tempted to lift them up on to your forehead as this is a sure fire way of fogging them.
If you plan on using a helmet you need to check goggle compatability - don't believe what the manufacturer says re this as you need to actually check the goggles with the helmet your going to use before purchase. For this reason, & if you're hiring a helmet in resort, you might want to wait & buy the googles when you hire your helmet.

BTW, where are you going for your first trip & are you planning any instruction in the UK before you go? I can recommend the Lions Ski Club at the Castleford Xscape. http://www.lions-skiclub.co.uk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wavey, This thread may shed some light on the subject http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9850&highlight=

As you know I borrows Willies Scott goggles which have a dark lense, these where good for the first 3 days when the sun shone brightly all day. However I was glad I bought my own aswell, I got some Block goggles (only £20) with a yellow tint and they where IMOA just as good as the Scott goggles I borrowed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I realise that I should have mentioned - I have persimmon coloured lenses which do well in almost all conditions - great in "flat" light, and fine in all but the very brightest of sunlight
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My girlfriend has a pair of Smith goggles with Rose Copper tint lenses, which are hugely better than any others I've used (I like to claim it's why she skis better than I do). They really come into their own in flat light, where you need every bit of help you can get to see contours in the snow. I'll probably get a pair this year (but then I'll have to look for another excuse).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wavey, I got a fab pair of silver blue goggles coloured double lense fantastic value at £16 from TK Max, they even have vents at the top. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Er, because I don't follow blindly (as it were) can someone please provide the reasoning behind the "gotta have double lenses to prevent fogging" theory. I may be thinking stupid on this (it's possible), but surely the heat buildup inside the goggle (i.e what causes fogging) would be counteracted by decent ventilation i.e. enough holes in the lens and/or goggle frame?
So wots with double lenses then?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The inside of your goggs contains warm, moist air. Where it contacts a cold surface such as the inner surface of a single lens, it will cool and some of the moisture will condense on the surface; fogging. The air gap between the lenses insulates the inner lens from the cold, so fogging is reduced or eliminated.

Ventilation is an alternative or additional measure, which removes some of the warm, moist air, but on its own it is less effective than a double lens because the warm, moist air isn't vented particularly efficiently, especially when you are stationary or moving slowly. It's better to remove the cold surface.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, Rather than theory, from direct experience in conditions of -15C and falling snow, single lense goggles were useless.

Elaborating a little more, I had a cheap pair of Double lense UVEX goggles (cost about £20). My better half had a similar priced pair of single lense goggles.
Mine were fine all holiday. Didn't steam up at all.
Hers not only steamed up, but the condensation then froze on the inside!

Needless to say they were consigned to the bin and a doulble lense pair was sought Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Holland, did either pair have ventilation? If the ventilation is the same on both, or poorer on the doubles, we have a result.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, I have some single layer goggles and they don't fog up. It has been (rudely) suggested that I don't work hard enough Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, lol

richmond, I think the ventilation was pretty similar on both. It's hard to remember exactly what the single lense pair were like since they've been in the bin for 3 years Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also buy a small demister/cleaner spray from an opticians and take it with you. Spray it on and polish off before you go out in the morning - it works a treat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thankf for all the info guys. Double lenses it is then
snow conditions
I like Smith goggles, for a cheaper to mid priced, decent pair. Go for an orange or rose lens for the most versatility.
ski holidays
I bought a pair of Dragon DXS goggles with a mirror 'ionised' orange lens to back up my main addidas yodai goggles. Having been varying between the two for the last 10 days, I have to admit I am now really very keen on the cheaper Dragon goggles. They dont quite have the same field of view as the yodai, but where they win is that the orange lens means they work superbly in dull light while the ionised finish actually makes the quite effective in the snow. When there is the chance to be skiing in and out of the sun, the dragon goggles are superb.
latest report
Buy in resort - you want a chance to look at the snow with them on to see if they work well for you - no good looking pretty if you can't see where you are going...

I have uvex, scott and cebe I think - of those would say uvex the best performance/value compormise - tried on every goggle under £80 in the shop and they were by far the best in flat light. I have the mirrored pale orange lens (double) - works a treat in full sun too unless it's exceptionally bright.

aj xx
ski holidays
buns I agree totally. Last year I bought some Dragon goggles. I can't actually work out which model I got except they were the optically correct ones. About £60 if I remember correctly. Amber lense, double lenses, great visibility in dull light and I didn't have any problems with them fogging up.
latest report
I got some smith anthem goggles and I really like them. They dont steam up and are ideally suited to those with smaller heads. You should be able to get em for around £50-60.
snow conditions
ive got the oakley wisdom , and its not just the double lens its the build quality as well,i stacked badly and hit my face and gogles took the full force and didnt even break,i also met another guy who did the same in some cebe gogles and they cracked and cut his face so there you have it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy