Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Titanium or Titanal? And Lithium?

Poster: A snowHead
In another post I was corrected by several good folk - the "Ti" in a lot of ski brands/models is Titanal, apparently. Now, when I last studied chemistry, many moons ago, Titanium was a metallic element (also used in lightweight strong plating for various purposes, I know) - but I've never heard of Titanal.
Just looked up a few Internet ski tests/descriptions and most of them definitely say "Titanium". Elan had a very nice set of diagrams about sheets of metal in ski construction, and many others rabbit on in the same manner. Are they fibbing? Shocked Or are they just out to confuse me? wink
And I clearly remember near-exploding Lithium in the lab as soon as you took it out of its protective oil and got it anywhere near water! But apparently it's the other metal of choice in a lot of modern skis... (As opposed to being an anti-mania drug, although I can see some uses for that on the slopes, sometimes - no offence meant.)
Any enlightenment?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, a quick google has this

https://www.amag.at/en/our-aluminium/sporting-consumer-products/sporting-goods/amag-titanalr.html

and a long discussion on skiboards forum

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5360

but some skis apparently do actually have titanium in them

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-09-16 13:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I googled this just the other night. Titanal is a trademarked name for a high strength aluminium alloy produced in Austria by AMAG. It's mostly used in skis and other sporting goods. 88.5% aluminium, 7% zinc, 2.5% magnesium, 1.7% copper, 0.1% zirconium. No titanium at all.

I don't know for sure but I don't think any skis use titanium, where Ti is mentioned it's Titanal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just checked Atomic's website and this year's version of my skis (now catchily called Vantage X 80 CTI W) is described as having a light woodcore and titanium backbone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
who the hell came up with that name, just as well there's not a break after the third letter!!!! could be something completely different Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, my atomic automatic skis have titanium in them so they say.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@iskar, Quite...a mate of mine has a pair of Rossignol Hero Short Turn (ST) skis and delights in the fact that they have Tit and An*l inscribed upon them.. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iskar wrote:
who the hell came up with that name, just as well there's not a break after the third letter!!!! could be something completely different Toofy Grin

That would be the correct description for descending a cruddy icy black on the wrongly-constructed ski, then? Laughing (Ah, just seen the post above; being a female, I took the overall pronunciation, not just the spelling of the first bit... )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So - waiting for a decent chemical enginner to come along - Titanium and an Aluminium alloy are actually quite different really, and there just to make off-the-shelf ski choice all the more confusing Sad Both lightweight, but one, I think, quite a lot 'stronger' than the other, certainly with different flex and torsional characteristics (or I could be talking utter horse excrement).

And lithium is...? (apart from a very very soft metal)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mood stabiliser? So if conditions/your skiing/lift queues are horrific, simply lick your edges for a calming moment of tranquillity. Mmmmm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WARNING: Side effects of Lithium include:
    - drowsiness
    - tremors in your hands
    - dry mouth, increased thirst or urination
    - nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain
    - changes in your skin or hair
    - cold feeling or discoloration in your fingers or toes
    - feeling uneasy
    - impotence, loss of interest in sex.

But them most of us get some of those from being up a mountain and/or Tartiflette exposure....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, I think I might lose my Lithium tankard, other than the changes in skin I am nailed on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, as I understand it, pretty much everyone uses titanal, the aluminium alloy @Valkyrie mentioned.

Definitely can't say no-one uses titanium, but it would probably be pretty expensive!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Atomic state Titanium whether this is right or wrong ???
https://www.atomic.com/en/ski-technology
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Several brands of race ski use titanium, I have some Fischer ones.
latest report
Mr G has lots of Titanium in his arm wink
snow report
Understandable, it's light and extremely inert, so ideal for surgical implants.
Titaniums main benefit is its weight, it's a LOT less dense than steel so for only a small reduction in strength (5% like for like) over steel you save about 40% of the weight.
snow conditions
I think it is fair to say that there is a fair amount of "marketing science" around the use of Ti, i.e. some willful creation of confusion that the expensive stuff is being used alongside a healthy does of ignorance that Titanal is not the same compound.

I'd just ignore it all really - metal suffices in terms of understanding generally what it is there for, don't get sucked into all the woo science that ski companies put out there about why their design is better. Other than nonsense like "monocoque" being justification for a noodly ski make of foam there isn't really any bad tech out there.
latest report
meandrew wrote:
@clarky999, Atomic state Titanium whether this is right or wrong ???
https://www.atomic.com/en/ski-technology

I honestly have no idea.

But what Dave said:

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think it is fair to say that there is a fair amount of "marketing science" around the use of Ti, i.e. some willful creation of confusion that the expensive stuff is being used alongside a healthy does of ignorance that Titanal is not the same compound.

I'd just ignore it all really - metal suffices in terms of understanding generally what it is there for, don't get sucked into all the woo science that ski companies put out there about why their design is better. Other than nonsense like "monocoque" being justification for a noodly ski make of foam there isn't really any bad tech out there.
latest report
@clarky999, to be fair that does sum it up...marketing blurb " two layers of Titanium " = a stiffer ski than " a layer of Titanium " and both are made of a alloy of which contains no Titanium what so ever simple.
ski holidays
I think Lithium is just a name for a model of binding...
ski holidays
With snowboards, the "metal" is all Aluminium branded as Titanal, certainly not Titanium. If they're claiming a "backbone" (a stringer?) that sounds like a different thing, as with snowboards you need layers of Aluminium plus layers or rubber for the dampening. It's not used for stringers, to my knowledge.
ski holidays
I think titanal has higher stiffness to weight than titanium which is more compliant?
snow conditions
On looking 3 out of my 5 pairs of skis say on them or quote to have Titanium in them.
latest report
I would be very surprised if there is Titanium in any ski due to material costs. Whenever I tune a pair of skis with "Ti" in the top sheet it cuts way too easy to be actual titanium, I used to design things that had a lot of titanium in it..
ski holidays
It would be interesting to get a definitive answer on this.
snow conditions
For snowboards, when they say "titanium" in my experience they always mean titanal/ aluminium. I think they are simply "not geek" people: they find it hard to differentiate similar sounding words.

>I think titanal has higher stiffness to weight than titanium which is more compliant?
Actually it's the other way around from their Young's Modului.

That's probably why they use Ti in bike stuff, which you want to be stiff but to weigh nothing.
For a snowboard, I think you're trying to achieve something quite different structurally - you're using thin sheets of the stuff, for a start.
snow report
philwig wrote:
I think they are simply "not geek" people: they find it hard to differentiate similar sounding words.

This is possibly the reason. There is wishy washy marketing speak and then there are facts. "Facts" should be checked for accuracy before they are released, and they will be in other marketing areas where compliance is required, like food.

But it could happen like this:
    * Production sends out list of components, probably as acronyms and departmental shorthand
    * Someone in marketing has a go at writing the description from the list
    * The description is checked for spelling and grammatical errors, but unless it is passed back to someone who knows about materials, inaccuracies may not be picked up. Alternatively, something may have been lost during translation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

>I think titanal has higher stiffness to weight than titanium which is more compliant?
Actually it's the other way around from their Young's Modului.

That's probably why they use Ti in bike stuff, which you want to be stiff but to weigh nothing.

Ah interesting.
In bikes Ti has the reputation of being more springy and "comfortable" than ally but I've heard it said that that is more a function of ally tending to be used in thin-walled / large diameter tubes which then become stiffer whereas Ti frames are more like steel ones (narrower tubes).
snow report
Ti would be useful has it has no memory effects on the molecules as in it can flex without loosing shape due to fatigue like when you flex a beer can and it rips or bend steel repeatedly it snaps ti dosnt do that,Ibis the mtb manufacturer used to make pivotless full suspension bikes the Ibis Bow beuatiful bikes. This I guess would be of use in the construction of a ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy