Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doug Coombs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week OH bought me the book "Tracking the Wild Coomba" though she nicked it before I had a chance to start it !

I did not know him personally, though he'd often be in the bar at the Edelweiss and would sometimes be in our conversation group.

When I heard initially about the tragic accident I was numbed, especially so as I'd had dinner with Chad (who fell and Doug tried to rescue) at a friends in La Grave only a couple of weeks before.

For a good six or seven years after the accident Doug's car was still in the lift car park where he left it that fateful day, and it was always a little disconcerting to see it there each time you went up.

Few years back Doug's wife gave the car to Jo Vallone.

So back to the book, this morning I just received a newsletter sent from Pelle at the Skiers Lodge, and in the email there are a couple of paragraphs about the book (see below) .

Pelle would have known Doug very well and this link http://www.trackingthewildcoomba.com/ is well worth watching as the author Robert Cocuzzo talks about Doug and the book and the last few minutes bring a tear to the eye.

Arguably the greatest adventure skier to ever live, Doug Coombs pioneered hundreds of first descents down the biggest, steepest, most dangerous mountains in the world. He graced magazine covers, wowed moviegoers, became the face of top ski companies, and ascended as the king of big mountain extreme skiing.

His place at the top was confirmed in 1991 when he won the very first World Extreme Ski Championships in Valdez, Alaska. Yet perhaps Coombs’s greatest legacy was as a guide, leading people on wild adventures and giving them the best days of their lives. Now, his story is told for the first time in Robert Cocuzzo's Tracking the Wild Coomba.

Beyond a biography, Tracking the Wild Coomba is an adventure story that takes readers into the extreme mountains where Doug Coombs pioneered a new era of skiing. From the Whites of New Hampshire, to the Tetons of Wyoming, to the Chugach of Alaska, to the Alps of France—author Robert Cocuzzo followed Coombs’s tracks around the world over the course of several years. By skiing some of the runs Coombs skied, spending time with his friends and family, and living in the mountain towns where Coombs made his home, Cocuzzo pieces together what made Doug Coombs one of the greatest skiers of all time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A guy who everyone speaks highly of. From Aspen Extreme to the Q+P, via pioneering modern heli- skiing he contributed a hell of a lot to what skiing and ski culture is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, thanks for the link , will look forward to reading this book
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The term legend is sometimes used loosely these days... but not in Doug's case.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very moving
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DC in the chase scene in Aspen Extreme:

Wildwood Films - Aspen Extreme Ski Chase Clip from Wildwood Films
https://vimeo.com/7929777

I love his jump turns within the first 30 seconds - his balance and timing are just superb.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 29-09-16 6:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And all on long ass, skinny skis.

Leg end
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy