Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowtrain

Poster: A snowHead
Just watched a very interesting "holiday" programme. Basically, you get the train from London Waterloo to Paris, have 2½ hours in Paris (time for a nice meal) then board the "snowtrain" (complete with disco carriage) to Bourg St Maurice amongst other stops. The guy presenting the programme was going to Les Arcs 1600 and transferred from the station via a 10 minute cable car ride - very impressive. Would mean that I would have to travel to London first - what an experience it looks!!

Anybody done it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think you'll find thousands do it every year.

Great if you live down south but not so good if you live up north. ( still requires you to use an extra day )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, just wait for admin to spot this thread. He sometimes gives the impression that he's auditioning for a salesman's job for the snowtrain wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, you could fly to Paris and take the train from there. it would save you the trek down to London.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was on that train - and the BBC TV crew had commandeered about 6 or 7 compartments that had been booked by other people! We ended up being moved to the other end of the train...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

you get the train from London Waterloo to Paris, have 2½ hours in Paris (time for a nice meal) then board the "snowtrain" (complete with disco carriage) to Bourg St Maurice amongst other stops.

Some advantages living in England then Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Brookes wrote:
Quote:

you get the train from London Waterloo to Paris, have 2½ hours in Paris (time for a nice meal) then board the "snowtrain" (complete with disco carriage) to Bourg St Maurice amongst other stops.

Some advantages living in England then Laughing

Some, but not all!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He was well ard. Didnt wear gloves
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super Eagle, Got any average prices for Southern folk? I'd look elsewhere but it's cold outside rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done it a couple of times. When I did it I had to drive to Dover on the Friday night, park in the snowtrain car park, get on a coach which drove onto the ferry, which crossed to Calais. The coach then rolled off and we got on the snowtrain and were taken to Moutier, arriving at about 7:30am. It was cheaper than flying and you got 8 days skiing instead of 6!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, Laughing Laughing Think he just wants a job as a guard on the platform
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, Did it once in the 80's good fun and still Friends with some people we met in the same compartment. Most alarming thing was being woken to change trains due to a brake problem and the free for all that ensued to move skis and luggage from the luggage cars.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We did it a couple of years ago....only problem with doing it from the north is you need to get yourself to Dover. So you have to take the Friday off or drive overnight.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have done it for about 20 years. Frankly, except for those who can't get away from work early enough for a teatime train from Waterloo on the friday I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. Two extra days of skiing for the same price! (well, not much different - Some package brochures years ago used to offer it a bit cheaper than flying).
You don't have to go on the British snow train (hired by the package companies) - if you book independently you may be on a French one which is only slightly different in its timing and doesn't keep you awake with drunken activity from Brit Yoof.
I don't just use it for the Plagne / Bourg St Maurice served resorts but also for the / Deux Alpes / Alpe d'Huez / La Grave group. Just get off the train (VERY) early in the morning at Chambery and get one of the very frequent trains to Grenoble (1 hour - nice clean, empty trains). The bus station is outside the station. Change at your Hotel/chalet - in an empty room or the loos - after grabbing some breakfast.
(La Grave bus link timings going out are sometimes a problem, but not insoluble. In the past I've got the Deux Alpes bus and got out at the dam, then got my hotel to send a car down the valley, or skied at DA for the day, but transport is hard to find on the Saturday evening - I've even considered packing my clothes in a backpack and sking over the link!).
If you are REALLY keen there are also similar things you can do to, for example, Verbier and Zermatt.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, How does it compare on costs?
ski holidays
My wife took it to Soll many years ago.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
My wife took it to Soll many years ago.

Did she bring it back ? wink
latest report
As posted on another thread, you can do it to Serre Chevalier too, train leaves for Briancon from Paris Austerlitz around 10pm. And the station buffet is Ok for steak frites. It is a daily service too, there's talk the TGV will be going there in the not too distant future.
latest report
St Anton is right on the railway line, and many of the Tirol resorts can be reached fairly easily from a station/bus. I seem to recall these are available from a sleeper from Paris.

And Switzerland, via Zurich or Chur (both on the sleeper routes from Paris) where you can get a train straight to loads of resorts.

Other French/Italian options - Modane for the Maurienne valley resorts and Oux (sp) for Saux.

Mind you, all of the above require independent, as opposed to package company, booking.

As for costs, returns from London start at around £100 + couchette costs (approx £15 each way iirc) for the French resorts. I suspect the others will be dearer as you don't get such cheap fares once you start crossing international borders.
ski holidays
I've done it 3 times now, twice on the calais one - one on the paris. Love the calais, hated the paris (the faff at the changeover and having to queue for eurostar checkin UPSTAIRS, with only one v small lift up). It is expensive for independant (but doesn't go up over time so can be cheaper for late bookings) and definately worth while if travelling on a package deal - buy 6 get two ski days free!

Best if you can make yourselves into a group of 6 though - as then you get a couchette to yourselves...there isn't any noise from the disco if you get a few carriages away - I've always got a full nights sleep no problem. 5'11" appears to be the comfort limit though - those 6ft and over don't QUITE fit in the beds Happy

aj xx
snow report
recently bought tickets for Feb half term for £139 pp-arrive in Moutiers in time for brekkie in Couchevel on Saturday morning, leave Saturday night after dinner. I was too late for cheap flights, but by the time you add in the costs of transfers from Geneva or Chambery, they aren't cheap
ski holidays
The Paris-briancon sleeper is about 100 euros return i think.
ski holidays
A snowTrain spotter? Moi?

Although I have only flown to ski twice in the last 16 trips.
The train service to the Haute Savoie resorts in France (3v's, espace killy etc.) is so convenient and efficient that I would pay (and have paid) 25-30% extra to a similar package that flew to GVA.

There's no charge for Ski Carriage, there's no delay at baggage reclaim. Who wouldn't rather spend a couple of hours choosing and enjoying a restaurant in Paris than a couple of hours hanging around LGW departure lounge? The transfer is 30-60 mins rather than 3+ hrs. U can walk around the train like u can't a plane. Because of the time u sleep, the journey seems shorter. Show me a snowHead that wouldn't prefer 6 days on the snow rather than 8 and I'll show u one that's logged into the wrong forum.

Much talk previously about snowTrains on snowHeads, much of it by me rolling eyes I summarised the various snow train options here.

Or have a look here for lots of info about snowtrains
latest report
What about snow trains to Austria or Italy?
snow report
admin, own up, you're the Fat Controller really!
ski holidays
admin, 8 days no good for me. Body completley goosed after 6.
latest report
admin, wouldn't that be 8 days rather than 6?
snow report
admin wrote:
Show me a snowHead that wouldn't prefer 6 days on the snow rather than 8

That'll be me then wink rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy