Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer !

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

not sure if this is the correct forum section ( sorry about that ), i am 23 years old, never did any ski or snowboarding before, and was inserted to do so.
planning that my next trip to do such an adventure.
currently have no idea about this sport, when is the season in Europe ( i am from Israel )? should i get my equipment or there is a rental place ? a good place to visit ? i dont want to be alone at the resort....
is there a school or guiding at a resort ? or is it like get up there and hope you dont die Very Happy
what is the recommended group size for having the most fun ? most of the videos on youtube people are with around 8 people group.
thats all the questions that i currently have.

thanks,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do I feel that this is a test of an AI?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haha no its not a test of AI NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well if it's not an AI, lets see if we can assist. The European ski season usually begins for most areas around the middle of December, some will start earlier some later depending on snowfall. Every ski resort will have hire shops for you to rent equipment. Best to do that first time to see if you like it. If you are travelling alone and especially as a first timer, then absolutely DO book into ski/board lessons. Again all resorts will have a school. You will meet like minded people and make friends at the same time. Most school sizes are maximum 10 or 12, but try and get in a smaller group if at all possible, 6-8 is good. As for where to visit? Well you have a lot to choose from but I guess it depends on where flight's from Israel go to in Europe. You then want to look at resorts fairly close with good links. Good luck
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Well if it's not an AI, lets see if we can assist.

Solo first time skier, 23 years old... I'd try UCPA
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try the Make Your Self a Snowhead Bash. That would cover most of your points, instruction, equipment and company. Starts 21st January for a week. The details aren't up yet, but you could look at last years thread, that would give you an idea. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ameerd,

Don't worry about grumpy old Dave wink. High post count Snowheads can be a cynical bunch having seen, read or typed it all before Laughing Laughing

@letsgetpiste, has a good suggestion. I've never used them but have read good things about them.

p.s. Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to Snowheads and good luck with your adventures ahead.
I've led many groups of first time skiers over the years and the best advice I can give you is try and get and get some instruction ona dry slope or indoor slope before you go. Just learning how to put on kit, carry it about and stand up on skis takes a bit of getting used to and you can get over the first learning curve before you have to spend costly time in the mountains.

For a first time skiing holiday you don't need to pick a really expensive resort with a huge ski area. Try and pick a resort which has easier runs right from the top end of the mountain. There are plenty of resorts where first time skiers can enjoy the majority of the mountain, see the best views and get a real sense of achievement.

Certainly hire equipment whilst learning as you won't want to be using beginners kit in the future as you progress.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NeddySkiGoon, I think this is the best idea. You'll be staying with friendly people and, other than flights, it's pretty much all ready for you without having to worry. If it's the same hotel as last year then the ski school is right outside. Have a look at last year's thread for an idea of what to expect
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119854
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't forget you'll need a ski jacket and trousers, ski gloves, socks, some base layers and goggles. You can hire a helmet.

Have a look online for cheap stuff that can be shipped to Israel. Don't spend a fortune, even the basic stuff will be fine for what you need.

The Make Yourself A Snowhead bash is a great idea!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Well if it's not an AI, lets see if we can assist. The European ski season usually begins for most areas around the middle of December, some will start earlier some later depending on snowfall. Every ski resort will have hire shops for you to rent equipment. Best to do that first time to see if you like it. If you are travelling alone and especially as a first timer, then absolutely DO book into ski/board lessons. Again all resorts will have a school. You will meet like minded people and make friends at the same time. Most school sizes are maximum 10 or 12, but try and get in a smaller group if at all possible, 6-8 is good. As for where to visit? Well you have a lot to choose from but I guess it depends on where flight's from Israel go to in Europe. You then want to look at resorts fairly close with good links. Good luck

thank you for the reply,
regarding flights, there are flight to almost everywhere in Europe, Bulgaria and Switzerland - Austria flights are much cheaper than Italy.
in order to book ski/borad lessons, i have to book online before going ? or can i do it when i arrive to the site ?

thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
letsgetpiste wrote:
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Well if it's not an AI, lets see if we can assist.

Solo first time skier, 23 years old... I'd try UCPA

i will check that, thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NeddySkiGoon @SnoodyMcFlude i will take a look on that, thank you
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

never did any ski or snowboarding before, and was inserted to do so.

Being brought up on a farm the term 'AI' always meant something different - artificial insemination. As the OP says he is 'inserted' I rather think you might have been right about the AI.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads and good luck with your adventures ahead.
I've led many groups of first time skiers over the years and the best advice I can give you is try and get and get some instruction ona dry slope or indoor slope before you go. Just learning how to put on kit, carry it about and stand up on skis takes a bit of getting used to and you can get over the first learning curve before you have to spend costly time in the mountains.

For a first time skiing holiday you don't need to pick a really expensive resort with a huge ski area. Try and pick a resort which has easier runs right from the top end of the mountain. There are plenty of resorts where first time skiers can enjoy the majority of the mountain, see the best views and get a real sense of achievement.

Certainly hire equipment whilst learning as you won't want to be using beginners kit in the future as you progress.

thank you Wink
i think i could learn hot to put a kit and carry it around and stuff before leaving to Europe ( maybe there a school here in Israel to teach ski )
do you have any suggestion for specific resort ?
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

never did any ski or snowboarding before, and was inserted to do so.

Being brought up on a farm the term 'AI' always meant something different - artificial insemination. As the OP says he is 'inserted' I rather think you might have been right about the AI.
Very Happy

inserted ? lol did not notice that haha interested * NehNeh
human test ? 1+1 = 10 Very Happy ( i like binary )
snow report
Actually it was that mistype/mistake that had me interested as I've heard AIs are being taught to make minor errors to make themselves appear more human. Plus Israel being a tech hotbed.

To the OP apologies. But Google really is your friend on some of those questions.
snow report
@ameerd, Welcome to Snowheads.

Quote:

Austria flights are much cheaper than Italy.
Austria is a great location for a first skiing holiday

Quote:

in order to book ski/borad lessons, i have to book online before going ? or can i do it when i arrive to the site ?

Skiing or snowboarding? You will get load of different opinions here, but I think the general consensus is that skiing is easier to master the basics, but with boarding it can then be easier to progress to advanced levels. Personally, I'd suggest skiing

If you are going during a busy time (New Year or half-term week) then I'd book beforehand, otherwise you can just turn up and book then.
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Don't forget you'll need a ski jacket and trousers, ski gloves, socks, some base layers and goggles. You can hire a helmet.

Have a look online for cheap stuff that can be shipped to Israel. Don't spend a fortune, even the basic stuff will be fine for what you need.

The Make Yourself A Snowhead bash is a great idea!

i cant hire those ? do the resorts have shops for that stuff ? i think it might be cheaper to buy there because when leaving europe i can get the Taxes back
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Actually it was that mistype/mistake that had me interested as I've heard AIs are being taught to make minor errors to make themselves appear more human. Plus Israel being a tech hotbed.

To the OP apologies. But Google really is your friend on some of those questions.

well, i am in computer science major and currently work as software engineer (still student though Sad )
snow conditions
Really do consider the Snowheads MyASH bash referenced above.

And do you have Decathlon in Israel? They should be able to order you in snowsports clothing even if they don't stock much routinely.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Really do consider the Snowheads MyASH bash referenced above.

And do you have Decathlon in Israel? They should be able to order you in snowsports clothing even if they don't stock much routinely.

i am currently reading about MyASH bash that was mentioned above.

after quick google search, there is no Decathlon in Israel, plus, i dont think its a good idea to buy anything from here, since the taxes are so high
ski holidays
One option is this.

Tel Aviv to Rome FCO on the 20th Jan 2017 EG 5.20AM or get the 10.35 flight from Tel Aviv
Go to the Decathlon store next to FCO airport and buy kit.

Stay in Rome holiday resort near the decathlon store and Rome FCO airport on 20th

Hotel near airport and decathlon is from £35 with airport transfer/advice

https://uk.hotels.com/ho542833/?q-check-out=2017-01-21&tab=description&q-room-0-adults=1&YGF=14&q-check-in=2017-01-20&MGT=1&WOE=6&WOD=5&ZSX=1&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

or simply get an afternoon/evening flight to verona (depending on tel aviv flight and shopping time) or where ever the Bash pickup is and stay there (saves worrying about the morning flight form rome to Verona.

EG, there is a flight at 17.35 and one at 21.15 form rome to Verona on the 20th

fly back on a linked flight to Tel aviv on the 28th on the 12.05 or 17.50 flight fem Verona to Tel Aviv via Rome. Flights on Skyscanner are about £240 (x5 for ISL)

Kit from decathlon that we can advise on.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
One option is this.

Tel Aviv to Rome FCO on the 20th Jan 2017 EG 5.20AM or get the 10.35 flight from Tel Aviv
Go to the Decathlon store next to FCO airport and buy kit.

Stay in Rome holiday resort near the decathlon store and Rome FCO airport on 20th

Hotel near airport and decathlon is from £35 with airport transfer/advice

https://uk.hotels.com/ho542833/?q-check-out=2017-01-21&tab=description&q-room-0-adults=1&YGF=14&q-check-in=2017-01-20&MGT=1&WOE=6&WOD=5&ZSX=1&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

or simply get an afternoon/evening flight to verona (depending on tel aviv flight and shopping time) or where ever the Bash pickup is and stay there (saves worrying about the morning flight form rome to Verona.

EG, there is a flight at 17.35 and one at 21.15 form rome to Verona on the 20th

fly back on a linked flight to Tel aviv on the 28th on the 12.05 or 17.50 flight fem Verona to Tel Aviv via Rome. Flights on Skyscanner are about £240 (x5 for ISL)

Kit from decathlon that we can advise on.

wow thank you very much !!! will do some more research on same dates from Israeli traveling agencies ( sometime cheaper than skyscanner ) for the same connections and dates
thanks s lot, much appreciated

did a search on skyscanner for flights to italy, a flight to Milan would cost me from 15 Jan till 26 Jan around 100 GBP, Milan is close to Verona and there is a decathlon there.
i can take a flight to Milan on 15th, go to verona on 16th where the BASH will start, and get back to verona at 23rd when the bash ends, have a 3 days around and them home Very Happy
thank you for the suggestion, did not think of that combination
ski holidays
@ameerd, check your dates before you book, I think you may be looking at this year's event. Dates for 2017 here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715
snow report
as @Scarlet, said look at the dates on page one, not the long thread form last year. That is why I wrote the 20th to 28th.
snow conditions
yeah, did not notice its 2016, thought its 2017 NehNeh

thank you guys snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy