Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@KenX, Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing up in Monetier this morning. http://pv.viewsurf.com/270/HASF-02-Serre-Chevalier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, bet the Prelles / Vigneaux road's busy then if there's still access to that ?

And yes can see it snowing in the garden this morning Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX wrote:
Still looking promising higher up though Very Happy

Webcam at the top of Cucumelle was looking good earlier. By the looks of it they'll need to dig out the top station of the Vallons lift.

http://serrechevalier.roundshot.com/cucumelle/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vallon's not due to open until 10th December, so no rush.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Main road is still closed, big job, they're clearing it from the top down so it doesn't fall on top of them.......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pic from earlier:

From the fracture line, the landslide has crossed 2 massive concrete abutments and is completely blocking both cariageways of the N94........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Road repairs and protection becoming an expensive business for the Haute Alpes. TG no one was hurt in the landslide. Busy road. How much does global warming have to contribute?

Thanks for the photos Ken.

Is the damage to the road at Geant bad?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kevin Byrne, it'll be fixed by tomorrow, they've had to shore it up (again) from the car park below
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I see the two Roundshot webcams, Cucumelle & Serre Ratier are back online after a few days down, I was missing my webcam fix. Nice to see it's cooled down enough for the cannons to be running again, and they have a team out digging out the 'viewing platform' at Cucumelle, which must have at least 1.5m of snow on it.

Any news from the resort on which lifts/runs they are opening this weekend, assuming they are still bringing forward the opening date? How about the snow level, how low does it go and are they managing produce artificial down to valley level? Great as the webcams are, I just can't find anything covering the lower slopes (excluding the one covering the 'nordic' area).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ravelin, details here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, Merci.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A light aircraft crashed up on the slopes in the Bachas sector above Monetier today Shocked
Luckily both occupants were ok, according to Le Dauphine the recent heavy snow cushioned the impact Very Happy
Good job they didn't try and land on one of the home runs, just a covering of artificial snow on those!
snow conditions
And the main road which had the landslide is now closed to all traffic between 08:30 and 17:30 so they can crack on and get it fixed in time for the ski season/Xmas..........
ski holidays
Also, the lifts open this weekend (3/4 December) only, then open again on Wednesday 7th December through to the 22nd April, on Saturday the 10th December, it's "Pay what you feel your day was worth"
ie, go skiing for the day, then come down and cough up what you feel is a suitable amount, radical!!!
snow report
@KenX, Shocked
snow report
And La Grave looks like it's had some, Joe Vallone a couple of days ago:
28/11/2016 La Grave from GuidesPerspective
https://vimeo.com/193764975
ski holidays
Quick question. From the Villeneuve tourism office, can you catch a Navette up to Le Bez?

Just to ease arrival day.
ski holidays
@Piemonster, the little tourist train that acts as the navette in that part of Villeneuve will be the one you want I think.
Not sure how close it will get to your accommodation though. Where are you staying? Some of it is just across the car park from the Tourist Office. Some of it is nearer to the Pontillas lift. Some of it won't be reached by the tourist train.
http://www.serre-chevalier.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/horaire-petit-train-hiver-15-16.pdf
latest report
Going by Google Maps somewhere around Chalet Montalembert. If I can avoid hauling all the holiday baggage up the hill I will, where's Place Du Roźe?
ski holidays
@KenX, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy for the vimeo. Can't wait Smile
snow report
@Piemonster, I think that is the car park near the Pierre Vacance apartments, which is just opposite the tourist office. The navette will go Chemin de L'oratoire, then loop back towards the Hotel Frejus and the Frejus lift. It doesn't go anywhere near the Montalembert. Place du Rozé shows up as Route de Rozé on Google Maps .
snow conditions
@KenX, I've shared that vimeo with my lot, they're getting all giddy Very Happy Cool snowHead
ski holidays
First day today, we've had around a metre or more above 2000m, nothing below, although they are snowmaking.
Pylones off-piste, 2 tracks are mine, put 2 more down before anyone else got there Very Happy

snow report
Nice 4 months to go
snow report
Fantastic skiing here in Serre Che, not too many pistes open at the mo, but what's open is in great shape!
What's different this year is all the short cuts/off-piste in the trees etc are already fully filled in with the white stuff, a great base for the rest of the season Very Happy
Caveat: I aim to go up and dig a couple of snow pits to have a look at the layers next week, can't be too careful........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, it does look better than last year.
ski holidays
Monetier is due to open Saturday, so heading up there to catch some freshies Very Happy
latest report
Sounds promising but I hope they are good at maintaining pistes as it's not looking awfully hopeful for much more snow in the next couple of weeks as the weather models are keeping the Alps under high pressure. At least after the weekend the temperatures should drop a bit.

I'll be interested to see how much terrain the open over the weekend. Will they then keep it open weekdays or shrink it a bit due to lower skier numbers?
snow conditions
Went up to Monetier this morning, caught the first lift AND fantastic powder under the Cibouit chair Very Happy
Did several laps of that, then took the red down to Monetier which was in great shape!
Pretty much all the important lifts in Serre Chevalier are now open, but only Monetier has the home run, the other 3 resorts have yet to finish off the snow-making down to resort level, maybe they're hoping for some to fall from the sky..........
All said, 1000% better than this time last year, and already had 3 powder days Very Happy
latest report
@KenX, Cool Cool
snow conditions
N94 from Gap and the Chambon tunnel due to open next week, pesky tourists now free to arrive and spoil "my" resort Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Next thing they'll want to stay in your house.....
ski holidays
@langball, Funny you should say that.........
snow report
So, walked with the dogs and LynnX up round the back of the landslide today, severe water damage to the summer road up to the Roche Baron opposite us:

No wonder it washed all the earth down over the carriageway, which is now almost finished:

ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Pretty much all the important lifts in Serre Chevalier are now open, but only Monetier has the home run, the other 3 resorts have yet to finish off the snow-making down to resort level, maybe they're hoping for some to fall from the sky..........

I was surprised to hear that the run to Monetier was even open, I'm assuming temperature inversion allowed the cannons to run lower down? If the other resorts are waiting for natural stuff to fall from the sky then by the looks of the forecast they could be waiting a little while yet. Nothing looking even remotely likely this week, after the weekend chances increase but nothing major. I'm still surviving on the "surely it can't go the whole of December without snowing" principle.

At least temperatures should start falling and minimise any further snow loss.

Oh, and I don't know about pesky tourists, but someone has been ruining all the lovely pristine snow on the webcams by skiing on it. How dare they do that before I get there.
snow report
So as usual forecasts hopelessly out today - well not so much for here but Abries in the Queyras - and what may you ask has that got to do with a Serre Chevalier thread- well just that it's a short road trip from here for powder hounds!

As for here went up the hill and it was so cold as I was not dressed too well, school boy error with the gloves. So just a quick up and down, also to make sure the lift passes work!

Heard it was -9 and what with the wind chill that would explain a lot!

Only went up to try my new boots I'd just had heat moulded, snow on piste above mid stations was very pleasant indeed and a good meter or so, even though I was on my light weight touring kit so not exactly conducive to hard pack piste, but there was plenty of soft stuff on the sides, and light was very flat!

Went shopping down Aldi / Lidl (can never remember which one it is) around 18:00 and was snowing very very lightly, then back up to Riquet in Villeneuve where they have had a major staff upheaval and many of my friends are now no longer there Sad

Spent 15 mins in there and came out to find all of a cm and then up to the Frog and by the time we came out was a good three or four cms - coming back a car was even stuck going up our little hill.

So still snowing - so very much a case of wait and see for tomorrow.

So be sure to check the cam out tomorrow to see how much we've had overnight
http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
Should have gone up the hill yesterday based on what it was like today - snow in excellent condition both on and off piste.

I made the mistake of going up on my piste skis (74mm wide) and was still enjoying stashes of powder close to the lifts.

Skied over and down to Monetier and that was all in very good condition and then the final run back down the Vallons all the way back to Pontillas was just as good, though should imagine by middle of next week with increased numbers of skiers it will get hard / icy so best to go out in the morning.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy