Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
I can always tell there's been snow overnight / early hours without getting out of bed, and to a certain degree how much in the valley, and I don't mean by looking at my own webcam from the comfort of my bed, which I can in fact do!

Two sounds means there's been snow, that of avy control blasting up the hill and snowploughs along the road, but however I have not heard the mini snow ploughs in our parking areas which means we only have a dribble down here, and opening up the blinds this morning confirms this.

That said, my friends are going to have to put chains on to get to their lessons / lifts this morning and will have the echos of my voice telling them that they should have done it when it was dryish yesterday as they get their nice new ski jackets grubby.

Now shall I lend them my yoga mat Toofy Grin

See live cam from link below in sig
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just popped up on my newsfeed that winter equipment is obligatory for those travelling into and out of the valley this weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well they got away without using the chains - probably being lulled into a false sense of security Twisted Evil

We went up the hill, and Casse Du Boeuf chair was only taking two up at a time so massive queue, so left there and went up Freujus bubble, just hope whatever tech problem it is they fix it for next week. They have had issues with the chair and having to limit numbers before.

About 15cm of fresh, and we did a nice run of Crete drag, then three or four off Barres which we had to ourselves, then one long run down to Vallons.

Was getting quite skied out so did the uber long traverse, and then skied down through the trees to Pi Mai where we hooked up with Ken.

By then snow was getting heavy and there really was only a couple of inches, I'm amazed my skis are in not too bad a nick as I went over one rock ledge and then second run with Ken lost both skis after going over a terrace and subsequent rocks!

Have heard that a good friend (Paul as in Geena) is in hospital having a plate on his tibia, after going out on his powder skis Sad

Light snow again now after not too bad a conditions this morning.

Off the Barres and you can see how the snow was getting heavy on that aspect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, commiserations to Paul.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been snowing since 04:30. Looking good (see the cam on link below - it's right at the bottom) off to Monetier to hook up with Ken.

Good be a tough day on the roads out there
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing at the slow motion dog roll in the snow on the webcam. Hope you get the further snow forecast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh well lucky to be back home typing this, thought I was a goner for ten secs or so today.

Think I'm going to be off games for a while, though could have been so much worse!

Full report http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130216
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ouch and hope the knee makes a speedy recovery - get to that spa in monetier
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, so pleased you're OK. Be safe out there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice view this morning Very Happy

About 15cm since yesterday here at 1200m, still snowing heavily so as it's the first day of the french hols AND a sunday going to sit it out today and go up first thing tomorrow, got snow clearing to do both here and at a chalet we manage.......
Snow shoes for dog walking methinks!!!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-02-17 13:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes coming down all morning and looking good, should imagine a fair bit of carnage on the roads.

Bird table very busy at times, though snow has covered up a lot of the bird seed on the ground. I'd like to see it snow all day nice and heavy and again tomorrow not that I can ski currently as knee is sore and swollen.

Have heard from Paul, who was operated on yesterday, he was skiing the off piste to the right of the Vallons chair as you go up in very poor, nigh on zero viz, on his nice new Black Crows. Paul is a fit 72 yr old, though not an accomplished off piste skier, he found himself in one of the gulleys going to fast and down and over a little drop, his ski tips went into the snow and his body momentum kept going, and his bindings did not release and the crack he heard was his tibia breaking on the edge of his boot Sad

Avalanche Bulletin for our area is now at 4 http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/thabor/OPP13 with specific mention of the risk of powder avalanches as a result of the week layer at around 2,000m
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, Had the weathercam up on screen this morning to watch the snow (we're coming out next weekend, so nice to see). Popped to the kitchen to get coffee and heard my missus exclaim 'There's a man on here in his pants!'. Smile I think she wondered what I was watching.

We think you were feeding the birds, which rather begs the obvious question: do you often feed the birds in your pants? (Funny place to keep birds. Badoom-tish).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

do you often feed the birds in your pants?

And at what time? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not that often, but as I'm nursing my knee with ice / compression etc I'm not wearing trousers.

Birds have been manic today for food - I'm nearly out of bird-seed and bread, think OH has put some stale cheese on the bird table as well!

Still snowing lightly.

Looks like I'm going to miss some nice lines, but thankful we're finally getting some good snow lower down, though I'd be happy with at least another 40cm for the off piste lower down in the trees, but this will be great for the pistes, though as ever after a storm, wind is forecast to kick in tomorrow Sad
latest report
The thought of birds feeding from Weathercam's pants fills me with dread........................
snow conditions
Hope they don't try to eat the "fat balls" Shocked
ski holidays
Heard they like worms though Laughing
ski holidays
@KenX, Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Just heard from OH who is skiing with KenX, what with the strong winds and so many lifts closed queues are massive and not at all pleasant.

And this rate I can see them all donning skins and fecking off without me in the days to come.

Knee sore and swollen though can now put some weight on it rolling eyes
latest report
It is looking rather rammed at Serre Ratier on the webcam this morning.
snow report
@Hells Bells, look at the photo on the blog of the queue at the bottom of the Luc !!!

Been looking through the scope and it's howling up there all that fresh snow is getting blown off Sad

See the Col is open still, thought I saw a FB post from a LG local saying it would be closed today and how they were going to have to transfer the kids to another school or something?
snow conditions
the website suggests 70-80km winds including low down and loads of lifts are shut.
snow conditions
@dan100, yes that's what's happening I'm afraid, hence the massive queues
snow report
Mike Rollins had to stay in Serre Che overnight because the road up to the Col du Lauteret was solid ice!!!
snow report
@Weathercam, Enjoyed the Joe Vallone article: http://www.stylealtitude.com/what-is-the-future-for-la-grave-we-ask-mountain-guide-joe-vallone.html

It got me excited ahead of a trip to the area in March. Disappointing the crowd funding campaign wasn't successful, lets hope it keeps its non-commercial charm.
snow conditions
@Christopher, thanks, that was totally the OH and twas a mission and a half (for both of them) to put it together, as Joe wanted to really put his POV across but at the same time the underlying politics were always there.
ski holidays
Took a little rando up to the Refuge Napoleon today. A lot of snow falling covering over whatever wind damage was done. Reason for posting this is that there were lots of mini avalanches a la Gavin in evidence. Still ropey out there. Care needed.

@Gavin, I realise now that a post I tried to put up wishing you speedy recovery never made it....so hope the knee is coming along.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are offered the chance to have a days ski in Montgenevre next week at cost €25. Anyone have a view on comparative conditions to Serre Che? Or is an away day worth it to LDA?
latest report
Christopher wrote:
@Weathercam, Enjoyed the Joe Vallone article: http://www.stylealtitude.com/what-is-the-future-for-la-grave-we-ask-mountain-guide-joe-vallone.html

Good article - Opinionated as ever Wink

Little video from last week.

...after Trump and Brexit something good had to happen! from Doug Bryce
https://vimeo.com/203209296
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, Very Happy
ski holidays
Hordes arriving en masse judging by the cars on the road and how full parking areas are all around the place.

OH took the very early Link Bus (05:22 from bottom of the road) to Turin, and reported back saying how easy it was. Flight departed early and now back in the UK she has to deal with the 3rd World railway network to get back to Brighton.

Did post this in the weather thread but Pikey and some of the local suspects scored a good day in Abries, in the Queyras yesterday.

Just seen the Doctor, well Varzinak is my neighbour, and he was clearing out his garage, so seemed rude not to have a chat.

Thought the whole story mildly entertaining with the lost and found ski, on a quick look at my knee and a 20 sec discussion, reckons it's a stretched external ligament and he was happy with my rehab protocol etc and approved of me going to have a session on the bike in the garage.
latest report
@Weathercam, Richard (eldest) got that bus back on New Year's eve. Glad to hear knee seems to be on the mend.
snow report
Just to second @Weathercam, as I was parking up to go skiing, it was the busiest I've seen it all season, cars dumped everywhere.....
But I went up at lunchtime on my Tele gear and the pistes were pretty empty and in fantastic shape, it was 13:00 and all the new arrivees were having a late lunch.......
Not looking forward to the coming couple of weeks though, time to get the skins out methinks!
snow conditions
Looks like fresh snow fell in Montgenevre last night Pity it didn't extend to Serre Che...Some nice looking off piste lines but I was on the skins...
ski holidays
Unfortunately two avalanches yesterday back of Montgenevre, with one person killed (see off piste thread).

This morning went up the hill to see what the knee was like, wearing my Donjoy knee brace that I had after my ACL reconstruction, don't know why but I stupidly went on my light weight touring skis (though boots are more flexible) which don't exactly ski the piste well and are certainly not that comfortable on hard piste.

I don't know if it was be being nervous about the gear / knee not helped by skiing at speed trying to keep up with a mate, or the feckin manic busy piste in some places but was none too enjoyable, though think I'm ok to ski now.

Should have gone up at Noon, I'm looking at a nigh on empty piste coming down to Pontillas at the moment, though it is Club Med's changeover day.
snow report
Quick update - it's very very busy here now, and will continue into next week.

Pistes are holding up well though will obviously suffer by the end of this week.

Temps are on the rise and might even hit double figs next week, and freezing level is high as well, though hopefully with clear skies overnight we'll get an overnight freeze above 2,000m.

So great on piste and lunchtime outside, off piste in resort will suffer even more, so only option is get those skins or, or out on the bike rolling eyes

ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
.......temps are on the rise and might even hit double figs next week........

Go that wrong, was circa 8.5 when I cycled up to the Lautaret and now back in the valley +12 and feels a lot warmer in the sunshine, and dogs not complaining either.

snow report
What a glorious day. Higher pistes holding up really well as didn't seem overly warm at altitude. Skied Luc Alphand first thing and was dripping by the time we were back on Bletonet. Spent the rest of the day in Monetier and had forgotten how slow the lifts were but again had a glorious ski down to the village away from the hoards. Going to try one of the new BBQ stations tomorrow at the top of Prorell. Never seen so many people here! Cold tonight.
ski holidays
We were a touch late for the Prorel chair back to briancon last night so ended up taking the green road down into Chantemerle. Further down where it becomes Briance we had to ski round big patches of mud. At one point where we crossed Luc Alphand, that was closed as it was clearly sheet ice pretty much from one side to the other (I guess it more or less went to liquid in the sun, but once the sun goes down refreeze all glass-like). Saying all that though, higher up everything is holding up brilliantly. As others have said, it's busy. If there hadn't been the queue at Cote Chevalier we would have made our connection to ski back to briancon as planned.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy