Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slowly going mad - Italy, Aosta or Milky way?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, I think we have decided Pila this time, just because a decision had to be made! Now it's the car hire dilemma.

I have been to Cormayeur ( my first time skiing) and have fond memories of Bar Roma and indeed the nibbles on the big table ! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi guys.

Looking at courmeyeur but concerns on the size of the area for intermediate skiers who usually clock thr miles. Any thoughts please?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mattijones, It is a long time since I went to Courmayeur but I remember loving the ski area (and mountain restaurants) so did not mind repeating runs. I went on an Inghams package and they organised a trip to do the Vallee Blanche run to Chamonix one day and also ran a couple of other day trips - eg. Argentiere. This was a long time ago but it would be worth checking with the TOs to see if they still offer the same kind of deal. If you are going DIY you could check with the Tourist Office in the resort to see if they offer any day trips themselves. From memory it is not far from La Thuile.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both suggestions of Montgenevre & La Thuile I would second, both have a good variety of runs, S/C accommodation and quite compact ski areas that could be explored during lesson time, but with the possibility of crossing the border for more terrain. Claviere is easily accessible from Montgenevre and is included on the Monts de la Lune pass, worth getting this. The rest of the Milky way would be too far, so need for that pass. La Rosiere is also quite a trek from La Thuile and the links are often closed in bad weather, you can get the Espace San Bernardo pass that covers both resorts, but a La Thuile one would probably be sufficient for your needs. Montgenevre could be still busy if it's the first week of March and still French School Holidays. I was very impressed with the La Thuile ski area and its lack of crowds.

Cervinia is also a great ski area if you were based there, but the resort itself is no beauty and I'm guessing the accommodation is pricey because it's so high & snow-sure. Getting there & back from Valtournenche would be a fag, so I wouldn't consider that option. Skiing the Zermatt side would be very difficult.

Other options that I haven't personally visited that may suit would be Gressoney/Champoluc (Monte Rosa), Bardonecchia & Courmayeur. You could also slip through the Frejus tunnel to the Val Cenis resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mattijones wrote:
Hi guys.

Looking at courmeyeur but concerns on the size of the area for intermediate skiers who usually clock thr miles. Any thoughts please?

If clocking up the miles is important it probably isn't the best place for you in all honesty, attractive little town, good off piste, plenty in the Aosta valley with busses but Courmayeur itself has a pretty small low mileage ski area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a 5day trip (4day sandwiched between 2x1/2days to be honest) to Courmayeur and did find the piste area a bit small. We'd done every run by the end of the first full day. We did a day trip to LaThuile on the ski bus on the third day; think there were 2or3 buses each way early morning and late afternoon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thuile also gets you la rosiare as well
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a note about Courmayueur, esp. if visiting for the day and/or not staying in the town centre. If you're driving or getting the bus anyway, then I recommend going up from the Val Veny cable car. it *usually* has shorter queues to go up and you can ski directly from the top station (if the snow is poor in Val Veny and the charlift up from the bottom isn't closed, which may happen at one end of the season or other). There is a school, hire shop and restaurant at the top, too. There may also be some accommodation at that end of town too, and as it's nearer the Monte Bianco cable car, might be an option for a week - there are buses into the town proper.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any suggestions on the best places eat on the Mountain in La Thuile?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy