Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slowly going mad - Italy, Aosta or Milky way?

Poster: A snowHead
And I thought skiing was fun . . . But not booking it!

Going round in circles looking for Italian resorts. I am sure the old fashioned brochure with 4 lines of info was easier that browsing the Internet .

Flying to Turin beginning of March.

Family of 4. Boys done 2 weeks of skiing, or one for younger one. He was going down morzine Blues this year.

Looking for resort that can do a couple of hours skiing plus coffee whilst kids are in ski school, okay on easy reds, but prefer easy reds to steep or challenging ones. Then after ski school pick up to do family ski on probably blues or easy reds.

Wide pistes, un crowded.

Cheap self catering.

Now, his is where my search has led me so far:

Cervinia - looked great but accomodation is proving difficult. Can stay in Valtourneche but wondered on realistic feasibility of skiing in Cervinia itself with ski school pick up. Is this right or is it quick and easy to get over to Cervinia via the lifts? With a 2 1/2 window? Otherwise this limits us to just skiing in Valtourneche for a week.

Pila - looks good. Are the reds good for wobbly 7 year olds who ploughs?

Milky Way or via lattea . . Well I have no idea. We would only need one area of it, is there a better one that gives 2 weekend confidence .?

I think. snowheads should set up a Tour Operator business for indecisive fools like me!

Suggestions for hat welcome!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not look at Montgenevre ?

Finding cheap apartments seems a lot harder in Italy than France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we take out complete beginner secondary school students to Pila......they'll be fine Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
www.kronplatz.com staying at www.mareo.it and ski school http://www.scuolasci.net/en/ either full day or half day
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We liked Pila so much this year that we're probably going back next half-term too. Cheap accom available in Aosta thru AirBnB. Lots of school trips there with absolute beginners but, most of the time, we managed to avoid them:

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@altis, That's a beautiful picture
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tubaski, thanks.

It didn't take long to sleuth out fresh tracks to test Mrs A's comfort zone Twisted Evil but at least it demonstrates how quiet the place can be even at half-term with coach loads of British kids about on the easier slopes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hate to say this as I'm not the greatest fan of French skiing and love Italian skiing but a few years ago we flew to Turin and drove to Risoul and had an absolutely amazing, great value time in a resort that is simply wonderful for families - pretty, snow sure, massive sweet shop on the main street, amazing sledging run, free beginners gondola thing, blue runs form the top of the mountain, great tree lined skiing over to Vars, amazing scenery, good value accommodation, great food... I could go on. I honestly haven't met anyone who's skied the place and hasn't loved it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hils68, Have a look at Courmayuer, we went half term this year with our 11yr old son. No queues for the lifts apart from maybe 3 mins getting on to main chair when the ski schools were setting off. It's a compact area, so it's very easy to get back to pick up the kids, our son was in ski school from 10.30, we were able to ski with him from 9 then drop him off for ski school, pick up at 1, lunch and ski some more.
We stayed in Pre St Didier which is 5km from Courmayuer in Village de alpio, through booking.com, they have a range of apartments, only built a couple of years ago, very good value. There's a bus that take 10 mins or so to the resort, it's a 5 min walk from the apartment and drops you off at the base station. It's a 10 min walk through town to get the return bus, you can leave your skis and boots at the hire shops, so there's no need to lug them around. We found the walk a good warm and warm down each day.
We're going back again for half term next year, but have booked an apartment through airrbnb in Courmayuer as we wanted to be nearer the town for eating out in the evenings. If you do go,the lift pass covers one trip up the Monte Bianco Skyway, we missed the last departure this year by 2 mins, but we will defiantly do it next time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, yeah brilliant pic Smile Heading there in 13 weeks and counting Smile staying in Aosta old town
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffknight wrote:
@Hils68, Have a look at Courmayuer, we went half term this year with our 11yr old son. No queues for the lifts apart from maybe 3 mins getting on to main chair when the ski schools were setting off. It's a compact area, so it's very easy to get back to pick up the kids, our son was in ski school from 10.30, we were able to ski with him from 9 then drop him off for ski school, pick up at 1, lunch and ski some more.
We stayed in Pre St Didier which is 5km from Courmayuer in Village de alpio, through booking.com, they have a range of apartments, only built a couple of years ago, very good value. There's a bus that take 10 mins or so to the resort, it's a 5 min walk from the apartment and drops you off at the base station. It's a 10 min walk through town to get the return bus, you can leave your skis and boots at the hire shops, so there's no need to lug them around. We found the walk a good warm and warm down each day.
We're going back again for half term next year, but have booked an apartment through airrbnb in Courmayuer as we wanted to be nearer the town for eating out in the evenings. If you do go,the lift pass covers one trip up the Monte Bianco Skyway, we missed the last departure this year by 2 mins, but we will defiantly do it next time.

Bar Roma is the place to be after skiing all day in Courmayeur! good beer and free nibbles put out every day and the selection is massive! You can fill up for free if you want!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
Why not look at Montgenevre ?

Finding cheap apartments seems a lot harder in Italy than France.

Indeed.

Accommodation in Italy tends to be more hotel based. You'll find self catering easier to book in Montgenevre. Montgenevre good for intermediate skiers, with some great confidence building slopes. It's easy to get back in time for ski school pick-up, as on all but a couple of slopes you are one run from resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hils68, Champoluc should also be a contender, as should La Thuile.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am still recommending Montgenevre. Toofy Grin snowHead It has everything you are looking for and you can always ski over to Italy (claviere) whilst your boys are in ski school. The Monts de Lune (Montgenevre and Claviere) ski pass is all you'd need.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hils68, Pila is a lovely little place. There are many reds that are mostly easy and wide but they are labeled Red because they have a steep and/or narrow bit. In other words he will be fine on a huge amount of the run then have to go slowly for a few 100yds .Not knowing how you ski hope that helps.
We are gong via Turin this year and use Carole at Pilaski.co.uk to sort everything but flights out for us which makes it so easy.
Having been for the last 8 years we did look to go elsewhere but it is just so easy and we like it so back we go.

I doubt you will have had any help as we all seem to like the places we know. Hope you can make a decision - they will all be great really !
latest report
@Hils68, Would advise against Cervinia based on information provided. Valtourneche is not that swift over to Cervinia and much less so Zermatt and Swiss side. The skiing though is very good and utterly snowsure, but not perhaps the best location for family as you describe. To fully appreciate Cervinia I would say you need to stay in the resort itself. No idea about Pila but sounds great...
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
@Hils68, Champoluc should also be a contender, as should La Thuile.

with your requirements I would say that La Thuile would suit you down to the ground, try the Planibel Apartments for self catering, and they're right next to the gondola lift and ski school meet. Ive been to both Champoluc and La Thuile definitely La Thuile of the two.
latest report
AirB&B'd an apartment in Cervinia last season. Was compact for a family of 4 hairy blokes but perfectly serviceable and great value. Really liked the place, though the Italian side of the mountain is a little too cruisey for my personal taste. Food was amazing.
snow report
Thank you for ideas. . It's between Pila or montgenevre, with la thuile as a possible one.

Just a thought on Pila . . Has anyone stayed in Aosta town and just caught gondola up and is it easy? or do you think with kids it is better to stay in Pila itself?
snow report
Staying down in Aosta is easy - there is certainly much more choice of accommodation. You just need to cater for the 20/30 minutes up in the lift every morning. Even if you are another 10/15 minutes drive away from the gondola it's not that much of a hassle.
snow conditions
Aosta has good supermarkets if you are self-catering.
ski holidays
The main town is on the other side of the Railway to the Lift station and an easy walk from the centre (though too far for me if in Ski Boots).

If you are hiring a car there is free parking at the bottom of the lift and whilst it is pretty busy I have not seen it full. Could be at a weekend though.

Gondola takes 20mins to get up to Pila but I expect there would be a queue too at the bottom to take into consideration too. We stay in Pila so can't say exactly how big but there are a lot of people going up it so just a guess. Also when you get to the top, go right to the slow town chair then on to Leisse lift to miss the queues at Chamole lift. That is the only lift queue we see during the week days that we are there - obviously weekends and much busier. It is fine after 10am if you do want to go down there to do the 3 runs off it. You could even do most of Piste 3 as there are ways of missing the top vertical bit and the steep bottom bit. 1 & 2 are fine with snowplough on the steeper bits, plenty of people doing just that, as they are not that steep and quite short.

In Town there are plenty of places to stay and most (not all) are within metres of the runs. Anything from self-catering, via B&B to full board hotels. We use B&B and eat out somewhere different each night. Speak to Carole at pilaski.co.uk and she would sort you out for everything at no extra cost than DIY, she has lived there for nearly 20years so knows the place inside out. Also if you have any hassle she is there to help during your stay too. No hard sell she will lay out your options and then leave it to you. Re supermarket, never seen one in Pila, not looked, but would get everything down in Aosta as comment above.

There are resort reports on here but if you do end up going and want a Piste runs down happy to help.

Note you do get a day in another resort on the lift ticket so if you did have a car then it would be easy (well over an hour) to go to another resort in the valley. We have never bothered to be honest as the hassle never seems worth it. You can do it by busses too but that would take longer.
ski holidays
Here you can see all the runs in Pila , on the 2nd page there are red dots to the right , the 3rd one is Pila , under the ski map you can click for videos of all the runs.

http://virtual.interski.co.uk/

Also the main website with pass prices etc etc

http://www.pila.it/en/?season=inverno
snow conditions
Another vote from me for Courmayeur, but not sure on the range of available self catering accommodation.

There is definitely enough to keep you busy for a week at Courmayeur, good mix of blues and reds, great food and coffee on the mountain too, and even though some of the restaurants in the village are pricey, there are some cheaper options too and great pizzerias.

You could at Pre Saint Didier as others have suggested, and that also opens up the option of La Thuile too as that bit closer to there. Airbnb definitely worth looking in to as well.
ski holidays
@hawkwind, Very good to see all the runs on there who needs Google Streetmap.
snow report
There are heated boot/ski lockers at the bottom station that easily take two sets each so it's (usually) dead easy to leave your stuff there and walk to your accommodation in Aosta.
ski holidays
@altis, bit more info and prices (ive been obsessing) seems the easiest option and can enjoy an apertivo on the way home to digs

http://www.pila.it/en/activities/services/skis-boots-lockers/
snow report
@hawkwind, Where we stay they have there own and I would be surprised if all hotels up there did not. Check before you go this option as probably not needed. At least 2 bars in town on the piste minimal walking to them required.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jake43, cheers Jake43 , we will go for it as we are a good 20 minute walk away from the lift , saves a lot of hassle carrying everything there and back each day. We are staying in the town of Aosta itself.
snow report
@hawkwind, Fully understand if you are down in Aosta sensible choice. Don't forget you get a "free" day at another resort in the Aosta Valley on the ski pass. Starting from Aosta that means it is not that much extra time to get to say La Thuile for the day.
snow conditions
Thanks for all ideas and I love the video link of the pistes. Like the look of Pila at the moment so going to look at Pila itself and Aosta town. Although I think with kids it's nicer to stay up the Montain with the snow as we only really see it once a year ! Have got in touch with Carole at Pila ski so hope she comes back with some good offers. Any recommendations on places gratefully received too.
ski holidays
@Hils68, Tricky as we only stay in one place and I think that is full half term week. Carole will get you a good deal in one of the apartment places.
Loads of great cheap coffee on the mountain, spoilt for choice really. Do try the Prosecco though as it is only €3 and comes with nibbles - La Chatelaine or Bar Societe are best for this. Tricky to find Bar Societe as it is off a natural half pipe run which the kids will find fun (Piste 6) best outside space too for the sunshine days. You can come in at the front but try the back first it is more fun and easier to find.
Have a great time.
ski holidays
Thanks, we are not going half term week, but first week of March ( taking kids out of school . . . Whoops). So if you can give us the name of accomodation I can have a look. many thanks, looking forward to prossecco !
snow conditions
@Hils68, We stay B&B at Della Nouva which is right on the runs through the village - but I thought you wanted self-catering of which I know nothing, other than there are many apartments in view.
We would normally be there that week ourselves but we are going earlier this year to cater for the Whistler trip that has to be earlier too. Normally get great snow and good weather that week so I am sure you will have a good time.
ski holidays
@Hils68, another vote for Pila, feels spot-on for what you're after. I'd imagine the staying in Aosta novelty of up/down the gondola each day will wear off quickly, whereas being up in Pila would make an afternoon off trip down to Aosta lots of fun.
snow conditions
Claviere is on the French border but with Italian prices. You can ski Montgenevre on one side and Sauze Doulx on the other.The lfit pass includes a day in the Serre Chevalier which is a great day out.
snow report
Hey Double,

And if the snow is just good enough the ski down to the supermarket car park is interesting.[/b]
latest report
ciao @DrLawn, Shocked
snow conditions
I'm biased.... Champoluc everytime... Empty slopes... Not expensive.... Great hot chocolate..
snow conditions
courmayeur worth a try defo, nothing to difficult on the slopes, hardly any ques,and bar roma to unwind, been back three times. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy