Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Photographs of new lift works in Val Thorens August 2016

Poster: A snowHead
This wonderful chap has an extensive set of photographic album showing all the latest new lift works in Val Thorens in the 3 Vallies, France. From August 2016.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skifan/albums/with/72157671668896625
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great photos it shows the huge ongoing programme of investment in Val Thorens over the last few years. I think that this year sees pretty much every lift now high speed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good God Shocked

And here's me thinking I am obsessive about skiing - I really need to think again! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
Good God Shocked

And here's me thinking I am obsessive about skiing - I really need to think again! Laughing

Exactly! One of the great things about the internet, is it's made me realise how "normal" I am; a touch "boring" even compared to some folks. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much confirms what I imagined val thorens looks like in summer. Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He also has a few YouTube videos (well made) that detail the lifts that will be removed in Val Thorens.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vacanski?feature=mhsn

Top Kek.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The more lifts, the better!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Urban skiing Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S wrote:
Urban skiing Sad
???

Not sure I understand this. Perhaps a little ski snobbery? As you say though, that's what Val Thorens looks like in the summer. Above the town pretty much like bog then the dark side of the shaly moon.

Pretty much all skiing, at least the kind that 99% of skiers do is unnatural.

The pistes are unnatural. Unless the ski resort is lucky and able to use natural grass pastures most pistes are cleared of rock, shaped and smoothed.

All resorts need ski lifts. To get to the top of the mountain takes ski lifts plain and simple. Just because a resort is successful and getting more so and is able to invest hugely in ski lifts doesn't make it any more 'urban' than anywhere else.

The snow isn't natural. Well it used to be in the 70s and 80s when it was pot luck if there would be skiable conditions in resorts.

To ski you need accommodation hence all resorts have a town.

So I don't get the disparaging 'urban skiing' just because they are investing millions in lift infrastructure.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's the degree of intervention into the natural environment. Particularly the amount of earth moving, steelwork and concrete.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So you would like skiing to be a hike up a mountain and ski down un pisted snow. Maybe one run a day?

Or is it that you don't want to be reminded of what happens in the summer to create and maintain pretty nearly every resort? At least the ones that aren't closing down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the degree of intervention into the natural environment. Particularly the amount of earth moving, steelwork and concrete.

It's necessary to enable us to practise the sport we all love Peter S. And, like other ski areas in summer, it's possible to stay in Val Thorens in summer, escape the skiing infrastructure and find yourself in a pristine mountain environment. I did so in the summer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think the industrialisation of the mountains is something to celebrate, is it ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skifan/29143186641/in/album-72157672941685135/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rather unavoidable if you like skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountains have been industrialised for years, whether it's slate mining in North Wales or copper mining in the Lake District. As far as I can see, it's all a trade-off. The infrastructure is not very pretty, but it's helping to provide local jobs. And the new lift is hardly in some virgin mountain landscape which is devoid of ski lifts - it's in an existing resort. There are plenty of places you can go if you want a pristine mountain environment.
snow conditions
We can agree that it is on an industrial scale and that it is not pretty.

We can perhaps disagree whether it is actually necessary.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy