Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New SnowPark for Cornwall

Poster: A snowHead
SnowPark using Proslope surface being built near Bodmin https://www.facebook.com/Proslope/?pnref=story
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really hope so but there has been so many ideas floated for something like this for years. Still nothing Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those photos & vids are definitely of Dorset wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If investors can't build a business model for a snow dome in other more affluent, more densely populated areas it's really hard to see them being able to do so in in Cornwall.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu, it's a dry slope not a snowdome!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Were'nt they supposed to be breaking ground on this 2 years ago?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The photos are of Dorset, which uses the same slope material AIU.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apparently, the site has a Wakeboarding Park and also some Holiday Accommodation already running. Looks like a big slope from the plans on FB.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny wrote:
The photos are of Dorset, which uses the same slope material AIU.

Yes, same surface and it's a good one Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The site is lakeview and it's a 5 star holiday resort. I've never seen plans at this site before and I follow any skiing type development in Cornwall really closely.
The wake park is well run and quite well used as they have a captive audience. Hopefully this one could come to fruition. Not a particularly steep slope though but I guess that is better for those other punters they will want. Tubing etc Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's going to be in stiff competition with this, isn't it? http://www.civilunrest.co.uk/clean-energy/worlds-largest-indoor-snow-park-for-dartmoor/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll believe it when I'm skiing on it. The lack of 'chimney pots' down here usually stymie any genuine plans.

A pal of mine is the IT guy at Lakeview, I'll ask.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timg60, Could it be Bulldozed steeper?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went Wakeboarding at Lakeview a week back. The main Ski slope has not yet been started, however I did ask Lakeview staff (now called Waterside) and they told me that a Beginners slope should be in place for the winter.
snow report
Down the outside of the Eden Project biomes would be a black run. Very Happy
ski holidays
It would be lovely but "they" whoever they are need to realise that Cornwall is one of the poorest areas in Europe and any facility such as a dry ski slope would need to be costed for users at a very very reasonable rate if it was to attract reasonable and regular support.
snow conditions
@FFIRMIN, poorer following drying up of EU funds.

Who'd have thought it?
snow conditions
We did all right, and won't have to pay it back either:

EU funding in Cornwall
£1bn
Total funding received since 1999
75% The average EU GDP figure an area should be below for funding
68% The figure Cornwall was thought to be at in 2000
83% The figure Cornwall was actually at in 2000 after recalculation
Eurostat

Not as poor as everyone thinks.
ski holidays
@BoardieK, 83 is still lower than 100 isn't it?
snow conditions
Quality of life.

I run a business in sports and recreation and I think there is actually quite a high spend on outdoor pursuits down here, residents and visitors alike.

Ps. Take London out of the "100" and 83 wouldn't be too far off the average.
latest report
@BoardieK, EU wide?

(I have no idea)
snow report
Oh yes, eu not uk!

Anyway, I think there is enough recreational spend in Cornwall to support it and a business like Lakeview/Waterside is well placed to judge the investment. I can't imagine it would be open all week throughout the year and like many businesses in Cornwall the slope would be highly seasonal.
latest report
@BoardieK, central London is quite the outlier isn't it? (Now I look at the numbers)
ski holidays
Having seen the slope, I hope it gets up and running as a Ski Centre. The access from the A30 is good, and it's an attractive location, with accommodation and plenty of facilities on site.
snow report
Certainly the EU has provided significant funding for Cornwall which was absolutely vital and has given the economy down here a big boost but statistically it is still one of the poorest places in Europe and it should be noted that the figure provided by BoardieK is from 2000. I am entirely sure that some residents and lots of visitors do spend money on outdoor pursuits, visitors always will and there are a very significant number of older residents with plenty of cash to spend on, particularly, water associated, outdoor activities. There are undoubtedly a fair few skiers down here but sufficient to justify the type of spend required for a dry slope and then to frequent it often enough to keep it going - I have my doubts. I spend quite a lot of my time working in the affordable housing sector and also belong to a womens organisations which supports women and families in need and I am acutely aware of how great the overall "need" is in Cornwall. If a dry slope is built great, I wish it well and that whomever builds it makes a commercial success of it. If I am a little sceptical then so be it.
latest report
@FFIRMIN, yeah, Bodmin isn't exactly a high income area, or high density for that matter. Plus you don't have to go too far east before you hit the catchment area of the Plymouth dryslope.

Cornwall has massively benefitted from EU, either through the subsidies for tourism, fishing or farming. Strange that the majority of the county voted out, seemed a little shortsighted to me.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@FFIRMIN......
Cornwall has massively benefitted from the UK taxpayer paying funds to the EU, which passed them back less administration costs, either through the subsidies for tourism, fishing or farming. .....

FIFY wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles, same difference, Cornwall took more from the EU than they put in.
snow report
Cornwall needed the funding it has received and still does, I too think it strange that as a county it voted out but I suspect there are now many people who have realised that maybe they got that wrong. Of course Cornwall took more out than they put in, they simply dont have it to put in, the subsidies, grants and funding for Cornwall have supported fishing, farming, industry, university, culture, etc. etc. but unfortunately salaries are still extremely low and employment opportunities very limited, or at least very limited for anything much more than minimum wage where affordable housing is hard to come by.
snow conditions
Another Dry Ski slope plan for Cornwall. This one is near to Par, and is at the Public Consultation stage. Look on Facebook for https://www.facebook.com/altitudecornwall/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy