Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Nice to see the temperatures below freezing (-2 in Selva) after a week of +5/+9 : Phew Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Beautiful weather for skiing Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out on Wednesday to kronplatz. Anyone on the ground to give conditions update?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not out there, but the numbers keep going up. Dry air and temps cool enough to make snow. Looks like the SellaRonda and Kronplatz are on course for a full house of lifts and runs before Christmas, barring any silly warmth. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smagsmith, I'm sorry I can't give you a report direct. I am going to San Vigilio in a couple of weeks and would be very interested to hear your views when you return (as to snow conditions and generally).
From a combination of weather reports / webcams / FaceBook friends / past experience it looks like the skiing on piste will be fine. The snowmaking is excellent there and the snow management is the same. Webcams show the summit to be white, but I suspect that this will be man made snow in the main. http://www.kronplatz.com/de/planen-buchen/webcams
Most pistes are open. The skiers are out. When skiing the pistes it will be great. I found (as a piste skier) that you tend not to notice that there is not much snow around and about if the piste is well covered, and it only takes a light dusting of snow overall to turn everything white
The webcam this morning shows the snowmaking is going on Kronplatz summit. Piste looks good. There is a bare patch to the right of the piste (centre of picture) that gives it away
[/img]
The Alpen piste is near the summit and again you can see plenty of snow to ski on the piste, but obvious bare patches. I probably get some sort of tunnel vision and just see the white piste I am skiing down with trees at the side

The Miara piste looks complete (with man made snow) so skiable from the top of Kronplatz down to village level at San Vigilio. Similar situation over at Olang side. Not posting a picture of that as don't want to overload this with too many images (although I fear I may have already done that)

On the other side of San Vigilio it is a similar picture. The piste down the centre is going to be the World Cup ladies slalom in a couple of weeks. But I guess it is all man made as you can see the bare area to the right of the picture

And finally........ At the Reischach side of Kronplatz, they clearly have the piste operable as far as the K1 bar (the end of the piste) so the Sylwester and Hernegg runs look to be skiable all the way down

It will be great. I have skied there at the end of November / start of December and had a great time

But do reassure me and let us know when you get back
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One thing I've learnt over that last couple of years is that Italy know how to make snow, its second to none.

Last year I spent a month out there and to start with I was circa 10C and the snow was great. Dont know how they managed it but no slush, no ice, no grass or rocks coming through. Perhaps Harry Potter works for them.

Ok off piste was obviously out (well until the last week) but I never ran out of things to do and my bases can back without a single scratch.

Fear not, if theres is no snow between now and the end of the season 99% of runs will be open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Impressive snowmaking over on Kronplatz!!

The Dolomites may get something out of the Med low that is showing on forecasts for 19/20th Dec and again on 23rd, hopefully these will firm up as we approach and not disappear. Otherwise it looks dry until Xmas and beyond.

Our South Tyrolean friend over on Alpinforum did the clock-wise Sella Ronda on Sunday, photo-report here...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56416#p5100115

Lots of white snakes through brown meadows, but the Saslong finish line looking pretty ready for the weekend! snowHead

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
'Live' panaocam of Kronplatz here

http://www.feratel.com/en/webcams-weather/italy/bruneck-kronplatz.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Last year I spent a month out there and to start with I was circa 10C and the snow was great. Dont know how they managed it but no slush, no ice, no grass or rocks coming through. Perhaps Harry Potter works for them.

I think its largely down to the fact that the southern side of the Alpine Ridge, and particularly the Dolomites, tend to have even drier air than the alps. That makes snow making more effective and reduces the rate of ablation.

It would be great however to get someone on here that really knows about snow making, but I guess there aren't many of those in the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Looks fairly anticyclonic in this run. Predominantly dry and stable with temperatures dropping away at night and warming a little in the weak sunshine.

Should be superb skiing weather with nothing to spoil the views....or interrupt the transfer. Should enable more runs to open up whilst they still have spare water........ and money. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Looks fairly anticyclonic in this run. Predominantly dry and stable with temperatures dropping away at night and warming a little in the weak sunshine.

Should be superb skiing weather with nothing to spoil the views....or interrupt the transfer. Should enable more runs to open up whilst they still have spare water........ and money. Laughing

That 06Z run looks dry as a bone...the 00Z earlier was offering some glimmers of hope! Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 12Z GFS brings back the possibility of a snow event on the 20th, looks even stronger...certainly one to watch! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting commentary on WePowder about the possibility of a break-down of the current persistent High Pressure over the Alps with a storm from the South, a Mediterranean Low from the 19/20th onward.

It sounds like the ECMWF & GFS are coming together on this, currently looking stronger for snow in SE France Alpes Maritimes & NW Italy, Ligurian Alps & Piedmontese Alps and less in NE Italy, Dolomites...but a slightly different storm-track could produce very different results.

http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/234752

Keep on watching! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've only been going to the South Tyrol for 10 years or so, but the brilliant snow making set up makes me wonder how they managed before! But maybe there was not so much of a need

Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JohnHSmith,
Thanks for the info. Will update when I get there tomorrow although first ski day is Thursday
ski holidays
Looking more hopeful on the ensembles for snow from 19-21 Dec.
latest report
pjd wrote:
Looking more hopeful on the ensembles for snow from 19-21 Dec.

Today's 06Z is certainly looking more disturbed around that period.

Although the operational run doesn't give much in the way precipitation, just deep cold, but some of the ensemble runs are going massive on snow...it clearly all has to do with the track of the storm, some scenarios giving more to the Dolomites than others.

It's definitely looking more & more likely that the break-down is coming. snowHead
snow report
http://www.val-gardena.com/en/ciampinoi-live/page245.html

The Sasslong track is looking nicely 'blown in' for the WC event this weekend.
latest report
Just spent a day skiing kronplatz. Absolutely brilliant piste conditions. Had a great day. Everything was open. No off piste at all, bit that is fine for us.
Amazing how they have managed to create such great pistes with such little natural snow.
Cheers
Smag
latest report
smagsmith, glad to hear it.
(As expected but it's nice to have it confirmed)
Where are you staying?
latest report
@smagsmith, thats Italy for you. They are awesome
snow conditions
@JohnHSmith, San martino in badia. Hotel diamante. Very nice place and nice people, but very quiet at the moment in hotel
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, first time to Italy. Amazed at how good pistes are considering. Not sure what they do different here, but it works.
ski holidays
smagsmith, Mountain Sun : on my list. My problem is that I like eating out, so we usually self cater just over the other side of the hill to you in San Vigilio. Recommendation for a Bombardino / Calimero is the cafe on the right down a couple of steps as you get of the Piculin lift
latest report
Quote:

I think its largely down to the fact that the southern side of the Alpine Ridge, and particularly the Dolomites, tend to have even drier air than the alps. That makes snow making more effective and reduces the rate of ablation.

It would be great however to get someone on here that really knows about snow making, but I guess there aren't many of those in the UK.

I thought, merely from reading online, that its colder in the dolomites than elsewhere hence they can make more and better snow than other places. Its generally drier so they invested in snow making years ago and its paid off in that they consistently get tons of pistes open notwithstanding very poor conditions elsewhere.

I shudder to think of the environmental consequences though.
latest report
8611 wrote:

I shudder to think of the environmental consequences though.

I believe snowmaking additives are banned in Italy, so it's just fresh air and water collected from reservoirs...and a bit of hydroelectric to power the pumps! wink
snow report
Looks like some snow is starting to creep in next week.... Happy
snow conditions

There’s a bit of natural snow edging closer on these runs. Perhaps enough to improve the aesthetic without disrupting access or causing problems for the skiing or snow making operation! Importantly it looks to stay cool through Christmas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnHSmith,
Have heard about that drink will try it tomorrow
snow conditions
Did the clockwise Sella Ronda today. Love it here. Great skiing and stunning scenery.
Will definitely be back.
ski holidays
JohnHSmith wrote:
smagsmith, Mountain Sun : on my list. My problem is that I like eating out, so we usually self cater just over the other side of the hill to you in San Vigilio. Recommendation for a Bombardino / Calimero is the cafe on the right down a couple of steps as you get of the Piculin lift

Getting off the piculin at the top or the bottom? Guessing you mean the top but just checking
snow conditions
Top. As you reach the top there are a couple of eating spots. Our favourite is the one on the right as viewed looking up the hill. So as you leave the top station of the Piculin lift, keep bearing to the right, go down half a dozen wide steps and relax.
ski holidays
From the webcam link above it looks as though Kronplatz is hoovering up a good slice of the pre Christmas skiing money.

They will be glad of that because I suspect they have a big electricity bill coming. Laughing
ski holidays
Went round sellaronda again today. Loved it again. Colder today and busier. Pistes left a bit crusty today with a bit of ice in the shade. But not all shade was icy. Hard to work out why the icy bits were icy. Still great skiing though if you are coming out soon.
ski holidays
@smagsmith, How are you getting to the sellaronda ? bus?
snow report
Yes. Simple free bus ride from bottom of picolin lift herein st martino. Takes about 20 mins. Drops you off, but not at sella Ronda itself. You then ski a few runs through to la Vila, then corvara. That is where you get into the sella Ronda routes.
From bus to sella Ronda is about 30 mins skiing if you know the route. Took us about 40 mins first time as had to keep looking at the piste map.

Did it today no problem in 30 mins
snow conditions
What can anyone tell me about Ortisei? Thinking about heading there - flights to Innsbruck 29/02 - 03/02. Skied Alta Badia many years ago and fancy a return by way of a change to Zillertal/Ski Welt. 5 (ahem!) older guys who really don't care for sharing and also wonder if the current difficulties I am having finding accommodation will improve nearer the date. We often get mails apologising that they have nothing available only to receive mails near to departure saying they have miraculously found room. Would really welcome comments from you guys.
snow report
Previous post should have read 29/01 - 03/02!
snow conditions
@wib, how i go about finding places is to google for example "Ortsei garni pension" then look at the results on Google maps and contact them one by one. I get the impression many of these places are not listed on booking.com or other platforms and ive always been able to find something. Sorry if im stating the obvious here!
snow report
wib wrote:
Previous post should have read 29/01 - 03/02!

wib you can edit your original post. Click the appropriate icon on the right hand column next to your first post. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy