Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Glorious sunset over a snowy Val Gardena on the Ciampinoi webcam at 17:15 today...

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-sankt-christina/webcams/c11663/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi looking good at 17:00 with Langkofel/Sassolungo illuminated by the setting sun as it emerges from the cloud...

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-seiser-alm/webcams/c3354/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After the bad weather clears out this evening, ARPAV suggest there'll be no more snow this week until perhaps Friday when a cold front is forecast to pass through. They say that the Low that passes through the Med mid-week will be too far South to have more than a marginal effect on the Alps/Dolomites...

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Looks like there'll be a fair bit of sun tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should be great for the half term week @luigi! From the GFS tea leaves it looks pretty dry but reasonably cold next week. Good weather to enjoy the snow. Just found out that Europcar now offer cars with winter tyres on their standard website. They're more expensive than the summer tyres equivalent models but offer of course some reassurance over the summer tyres plus rusty and ill-fitting snow chain alternative. Have booked one but doubt if I'll need them now though, at least for the drive up to Gröden.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pjd, shaping up nicely! snowHead

I cancelled and re-booked an SUV with Dollar/Thrifty/Hertz which was a good saving on the intermediate I booked last summer for Milan Linate. It has 'winterisation' included which is likely a set of chains, but it could well have Mud & Snow 'snowflake' tyres and 4WD...though it's not looking like it will be needed! Very Happy

I rented a car from Malpensa a couple of summers ago, I was given one with German plates and snow tyres fitted, they definitely weren't needed in June!! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like we did well out of the weekend's snow. Of those that have updated this morning, Arabba is claiming 40cm of new snow, Obereggen, Alleghe & Passo San Pellegrino are claiming 30cm.

http://www.bergfex.com/italien/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 7-02-17 10:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the live info from the Dolomiti Superski website - http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/alta-badia/slopes
- several blue runs on the Pralongia plateau are closed. Seems odd, especially given the recent snow, anyone know why?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe they need pisteing?

It's looking like a fantastic day today. Here's an image from Colfosco:

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gorgeous.Hope it still looks like that on 5th March...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@agw, if I remember correctly these are ones not covered by snowmaking. Maybe as @olderscot says, they just need pisting but maybe there isn't quite enough snow still to open them. When I looked this morning the last bit of the blue down from Selllajoch to Plan de Gralba was still shut which was mildly annoying when I was there a few weeks ago as it meant taking an extra chairlift with a big queue!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pjd wrote:
@agw, if I remember correctly these are ones not covered by snowmaking. Maybe as @olderscot says, they just need pisting but maybe there isn't quite enough snow still to open them. When I looked this morning the last bit of the blue down from Selllajoch to Plan de Gralba was still shut which was mildly annoying when I was there a few weeks ago as it meant taking an extra chairlift with a big queue!

They seem to have been closed for a while so I think you're right - more snow needed!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pjd wrote:

They often try to divert you up the Sole Chair to Piz Seteur, but if you ignore the signs, the run that carries on down to Plan de Gralba is usually fine. I think it's either the owners of the Sole lift or the Piz Seteur restaurant trying to earn some more €€€! Laughing

I think there is also a concerted effort to try and get some of the clockwise Sella Ronda traffic between the Sella Pass & Selva onto a high altitude route via Piz Seteur & Piz Sella to Ciampnoi and then down to the village, rather than the narrow valley piste past Plan & the tiny Fungeia chair.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at the ski map I remember that last year one of the closed slopes (8 A Punta Trieste - Pralongià variante) was unpisted at half term. It might have been closed then too but there no signs or ropes across it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjd wrote:

It was closed last week as well -- but I did see people 'going under the ropes'....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
olderscot wrote:
Looking at the ski map I remember that last year one of the closed slopes (8 A Punta Trieste - Pralongià variante) was unpisted at half term. It might have been closed then too but there no signs or ropes across it.

A few of the runs off Pralongia don't have snowmaking, so are often closed when conditions have been variable.
snow report
Bergfex are calling for cool temps, sunshine on & off and a dusting on Wed & Fri this week, but seem to think things will warm up a lot next week in the wall-to-wall sunshine!! Cool

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
...whereas raw 06Z GFS data seems to suggest only marginal increases in temperature and a cooling on the 14th/15th.

ski holidays
Quote:

things will warm up a lot next week in the wall-to-wall sunshine!!

Hopefully that will change. The sunshine is nice but 7C in the valley is just a bit too warm to be welcome.
snow conditions
ARPAV are now saying the clouds tomorrow could bring a dusting of snow...Thurs starts fairly sunny but clouds up later, Friday cloudy, from Saturday the Scandi High ridges south twd Alps bringing settled milder weather.
snow report
olderscot wrote:

Hopefully that will change. The sunshine is nice but 7C in the valley is just a bit too warm to be welcome.

We've only just had Winter arrive, Spring needs to wait a bit longer!! Laughing
snow conditions

After yesterday's snow, conditions on piste are perfect and off piste is ok but a bit tracked out now. Temperature is pretty low so there is no deterioration. Have a picture to keep you going.
latest report
luigi wrote:

The warmer temps seem to have disappeared for now on Bergfex - back to a more sensible 1 C. We arrive on the 18th and was getting worried the snow would be disappearing again!. Fingers crossed it stays like the current forecast....
ski holidays
Bananamoore wrote:

The warmer temps seem to have disappeared for now on Bergfex - back to a more sensible 1 C. We arrive on the 18th and was getting worried the snow would be disappearing again!. Fingers crossed it stays like the current forecast....

That's weird, because today's 00Z GFS goes for a warming around 15th-17th...and some snow this Friday...but neither has much support from the ensemble...

ski holidays
luigi wrote:
Bananamoore wrote:

That's weird, because today's 00Z GFS goes for a warming around 15th-17th...and some snow this Friday...but neither has much support from the ensemble...

I'm going to keep believing bergfex Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Scarlet,
Quote:

After yesterday's snow, conditions on piste are perfect and off piste is ok but a bit tracked out now. Temperature is pretty low so there is no deterioration. Have a picture to keep you going.

Looking nice. The forecast says you should have plenty of sunshine today and tomorrow so enjoy!
snow report
Bananamoore wrote:
luigi wrote:

The late morning update shows a return of the higher temperatures!
snow conditions
Looks like I might need to pack some tee shirts.
latest report
For Gröden/Gardena, Snowforecast predicts just short of 50cm of snow for the next 5 days. Bergfex has 7cm for Friday. My money is on Bergfex, although the local forecast suggests that the area may see no snow. Having followed Snowforecast's predictions over the season for Gröden and compared them to what has happened on the ground, they have been far too generous in their snowfall estimates.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
olderscot wrote:
Looks like I might need to pack some tee shirts.

If Bergfex are right about the warming, you'll see me in my blue bermudas!! snowHead

snow conditions
You almost couldn't have such a difference in forecasts. Both show some snow for tomorrow, overcast on Saturday but then bergfex show sunshine and warmth coming and Snow-forecast say staying overcast with snow showers.

If I remember correctly, last year Bergfex was much more accurate with the forecast.

@luigi,
Quote:

If Bergfex are right about the warming, you'll see me in my blue bermudas!!

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 9-02-17 9:36; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
For Gröden/Gardena, Snowforecast predicts just short of 50cm of snow for the next 5 days. Bergfex has 7cm for Friday. My money is on Bergfex, although the local forecast suggests that the area may see no snow. Having followed Snowforecast's predictions over the season for Gröden and compared them to what has happened on the ground, they have been far too generous in their snowfall estimates.

That is quite a discrepancy, the GFS run on which Snow-forecast is based is still an outlier for Friday's snow, so I'm tending towards you that Bergfex is right.

ARPAV aren't committing themselves about Friday too much, they're using the word 'probabile' quite a bit, saying mostly light snowfall from the West and only in local pockets will it be moderate. They have the outlook for the weekend being more settled as High Pressure builds, though with lingering cloud.

latest report
From the radar and what one can make of webcams in near darkness, it looks like it's snowing in some areas at the moment . Then nice Spring sunshine for the half term week. Have fun anyone who's just about to go or are on their way.
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
From the radar and what one can make of webcams in near darkness, it looks like it's snowing in some areas at the moment . Then nice Spring sunshine for the half term week. Have fun anyone who's just about to go or are on their way.

Definitely some over night snow..

ski holidays
@albob, yep. Pistes are in great condition!
latest report
The pistes were very nice today. The sun facing slopes did get soft during the day but nothing seemed to get slushy.

As far as the forecasts have gone bergfex have been spot on. Today bergfex forecasted continuous sunshine for Corvara which is what we had. Snow forecast said snow showers in the morning and light snow in the afternoon which was completely wrong.

It looks like the forecast is for more sunshine but maybe a bit cooler tomorrow before warming up over Wednesday and Thursday. Lovely weather to be up in the mountains.
snow conditions
@olderscot, completely agree. Snowforecast has been badly wrong for the Dolomites this year. Lovely weather today.
snow report
Update on the ground in the Dolomites, finally figured out a wi-fi connection!

Been sunny last 3 days, cool air temps by day and cold overnight, but warmed up a lot this afternoon in the sun and southerly airflow, it's perfect weather to be in the mountains. Air was very clear today in Val Gardena, had lunch at the Curona Hutte on Seceda, could see mountains all the way to the horizon.

Wed & Thurs are set for more High Pressure, so temperature inversions as cold air hangs in the shady valleys and the sun blazes on the mountains.

When we arrived in the snow last Friday evening, it was a winter wonderland and some excellent grippy pistes and untracked powder on Sunday in Passo San Pellegrino. The snow is retreating on the south-facing meadows now, but pistes are still very skiable, though a bit hard-packed in places in the heavily-trafficked Val Gardena today.

Friday could bring a change as a low approaches from the North.
latest report
@olderscot @pjd Bergfex is EC, Snowforecast.com is GFS. EC tends to be more correct than GFS. Verification here: https://goo.gl/Brb2CE
ski holidays
@Jellybeans1000, thanks. Snowforecast, at least for the Dolomites, seem to exaggerate the precipitation from GFS ensembles too!
latest report
@pjd, I find the more conservative local forecasts from ARPAV and South Tyrol Provincial Weather Service the most accurate, but they generally only look a few days ahead.

http://www.provincia.bz.it/meteo/tempo-montagna.asp
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy