Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
shiva_71 wrote:
@wib, how i go about finding places is to google for example "Ortsei garni pension" then look at the results on Google maps and contact them one by one. I get the impression many of these places are not listed on booking.com or other platforms and ive always been able to find something. Sorry if im stating the obvious here!

Hey, the obvious is not always blindingly so. Thanks for the top tip.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wib wrote:
What can anyone tell me about Ortisei? Thinking about heading there - flights to Innsbruck 29/02 - 03/02. Skied Alta Badia many years ago and fancy a return by way of a change to Zillertal/Ski Welt. 5 (ahem!) older guys who really don't care for sharing and also wonder if the current difficulties I am having finding accommodation will improve nearer the date. We often get mails apologising that they have nothing available only to receive mails near to departure saying they have miraculously found room. Would really welcome comments from you guys.

Search for Ortsei in Google maps, zoom in or out as required

then type hotel or hotels in g maps search bar, you should see hotels listed as red dots on the map.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last day here for this trip. Thoroughly enjoyed first visit to the Dolomites. Skied to Marmalada today. Great day and lovely views up there.
Looked like some clouds building above northern peaks as the sun was setting. First clouds we have seen all week.

Will definitely be back to the Dolomites in the future.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little bit of activity on the radar - a dusting by the morning perhaps, improving the visual appearance, at least temporarily.
http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/weather-radar/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pjd wrote:
Little bit of activity on the radar - a dusting by the morning perhaps, improving the visual appearance, at least temporarily.
http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/weather-radar/

Yes, a dusting from the North today and...

...it looks like the Med storm is appoaching from the SW and will hit Italy over the next day or two, but sadly heavy snow is only forecast for NW Italy where it may dump 50+cm. Some parts of the Dolomites may get another dusting out of it, the Pre-alps to the South a bit more, but the High now centred over Hungary looks like preventing a deeper eastward incursion.

Map shows areas likely to get snow over next 5-6 days

http://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A dusting of snow on the rooftops of Cortina and upper reaches of Kronplatz this morning, but none further S in Arabba, looks like areas closest to the Austrian border benefited most. Let's see if anything makes it up from the SW today & tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Webcams are showing a 'tiny' dusting in arabba village - might be more higher up?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
Webcams are showing a 'tiny' dusting in arabba village - might be more higher up?

Selva webcams are showing a light dusting today.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Bit of a warm up. But at least it is a dry warm up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:

Just a dusting also higher up. But pistes are plenty and in excelent condition.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:

I was straining my eyes trying to see it...I guess I need to go to Specsavers!! Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi wrote:
albob wrote:

I was straining my eyes trying to see it...I guess I need to go to Specsavers!! Laughing

It could have been 'frost' !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're in Selva on Jan 20th, no panic yet. Our kids are working in Verbier, conditions are not great there currently .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski, you may have the misfortune to encounter us as we will be in Sankt Vigilio that week. But we will be making excursions to "Hidden Valley" and also Sella Ronda and probably Marmolada. We will be recognisable from the SnowHead buffs plus kilts - at least on Burns Night
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JohnHSmith, We'll be kicking around the SR and may pop up the Marmolada, but in 18yrs of visiting the area, I've never found that bl@@dy valley! Very Happy
snow report
@Mollerski, Now you know why they call it 'Hidden' !

Ski to Armentarola (next to San Cassiano), take bus/taxi to Lagazuoi, top of cable car is the start of Hidden valley.

Lagazuoi was part of the Front line is the First World War and has an interesting museum

http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com/indexUK.php
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
@JohnHSmith, We'll be kicking around the SR and may pop up the Marmolada, but in 18yrs of visiting the area, I've never found that bl@@dy valley! Very Happy

It's definitely worth doing as long as you choose a clear sunny day, the scenery is spectacular even by Dolomite standards. Worth walking up the steps to the terrace of the Rifugio Lagazuoi above the cablecar station for the full panorama.

Great place for lunch in a sun-trap at Rifugio Scotoni two-thirds of the way down. Horse-tow at the end is an experience too.

It's a fair old trip there & back from Selva and there's always the unknown factor of queues when it's busy. You can wait 45mins for the cablecar when it's busy, usually on a first sunny day after bad weather, so give yourselves plenty of time.
latest report
@luigi, As my hard charging pals can't make this one, I may just make the effort this year. When the kids used to come with us, it was never their bag. Ripping the mountain up and snowparks were what they were about. wink
snow report
Back to the weather...

NW Italy is currently getting hammered by the Genoa Low, but the High Pressure looks to be ridging right across from Hungary to the Azores preventing a more NE incursion, so the Dolomites won't benefit much, if at all from this. Sad

With High Pressure in charge this week, the weather turns milder by day and cold at night, so I expect the cannons will be firing up where necessary.

An Atlantic Cold Front is forecast to sweep into the Alps at the weekend, but as it's from the NW, the Dolomites will be in the rain-shadow again. It takes a peculiar set of weather circumstances to get natural snow into this driest corner of the Alps! But of course when it does, it can be spectacular! snowHead

At least the majority of pistes are complete with snowmaking, there are many kms open and plenty of sunshine to enjoy it all in. Cool
latest report
Looking further forward, over on the main weather outlook thread, Jellybeans1000 posted some Pressure Anomaly forecast charts for January that seemed to indicate the likelihood of Mediterranean Lows during that month, which should favour the Southern Alps, Dolomites included, particularly if something bubbles up off the Adriatic...keeping the hope alive!! Laughing

Jellybeans1000 wrote:

Now we are kind of starting to see what a January might look like. It's looking like a month of Mediterranean lows, definitely favouring the Southern Alps. Both CFS and EPS are tagging along with this.

This is not a forecast for one particular day, more one for all of January. The further south the better perhaps.
[/url]
snow conditions
841kms and 355 lifts open today in the Sella Ronda (and friends) area.
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-slopes Cool
snow report
Italy struggled last year. Having a much better start (in some parts) this year.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:

That's cos it's not in Selva mun!
latest report
downhilldai wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

If it's not in Selva then f'k it, why bother? Laughing

You comin' or no? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Italy struggled last year. Having a much better start (in some parts) this year.

Yes, NW Italy seems to be having a great start to the season this year.

Many areas in the Dolomites have extensive snowmaking though and have been able to open many, many kms both this year and last, despite the snow droughts.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
pjd wrote:
Got the usual problem of trying to find a car hire company in Italy that offers winter tyres. I emailed Europcar which offered a package last year with such tyres, but got a dismissive response along the lines that they only offer this facility in countries where they are compulsory.
Don't suppose anyone is aware of any positive developments here with other car hire companies in Italy?

If you fly into Venice, all cars are fitted with winter tyres (of a sort) by law. This was not the case a few years ago but I believe it change three years ago to be mandatory. Last year I confirmed it with Avis.

However, the Ford Kuga they provided had M+S tyres which they said were winter snow tyres. Now I don't want to get into a debate on tyres but M+S are NOT proper winter tyres but they are good enough and you may want to consider a backup of chains-hire as well. I had these on my Landrover freelander and you would slide at slow speeds in light-snow on a hill. However, my Honda Accord with proper winter tyres was flawless. So it may be worth while sending an email to confirm if there are winter tyres or M+S.

regards
Bob

I've been hiring a car in Venice for years. The new winterised law means either winter tyres or snow chains. Very few companies seem to want to let you have winter tyres. So if you want winter tyres book well ahead, make sure you have it in writing and be prepared to pay a fortune. And check the snow chains are the right size for the car. 2 years ago I got caught on an icy corner in the dark with chains that were too small for the car. Nightmare.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:

The run starts off at Lagazuoi. The run is basically Lagazuoi to Armentarola. It isn't a run that takes all day, so you can do some extra skiing around the Lagazuoi end (Cinqui Torre area perhaps) or at the Armentarola end (lots of nice easy cruisey blues around San Cassiano) or visit the museum near Lagazuoi. Or just have a very very leisurely lunch at Scotoni's half way down.
You have to get to Armentarola first and you can do that by bus. Or by taxi from Arraba / San Cassiano and other places. Once you have done the run, there are buses and taxis back to Lagazuoi and elsewhere.
In the week that we spend at Sankt Vigilio we will do a day at Marmolada, a day doing Sella Ronda and a day at Hidden Valley plus either Cinque Torre or San Cassiano depending on the make up of our group that day
latest report
I've done the Hidden Valley several times over the last few years and each time it has been more crowded, so much so that last time my group said let's not bother again for a while. Had to queue for ages for a bus at Armentarola, then again for the cable car, letting about five go before we could get on, then the top narrow bit was like the whacky races with people weaving in and out. Tried to get lunch at Scotinis but it was too rammed. The run is undoubtedly beautiful but my advice would be to do it as early in the day as you can before the crowds start arriving.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This will be our first time in the Dolomites staying in La Villa (ski days mon-sat) skiing over half term. Do you think Saturday would be best to tackle the hidden valley? I was going to use Saturday to do the sella Ronda but now unsure.
latest report
mini_mo wrote:
This will be our first time in the Dolomites staying in La Villa (ski days mon-sat) skiing over half term. Do you think Saturday would be best to tackle the hidden valley? I was going to use Saturday to do the Sella Ronda but now unsure.

pjd has it right. It does get busy and there are queues to get out at the end. At Scotoni's you might have to wait a while for a table (but there is an adjoining unreserved area which if I remember rightly is self service with a reduced menu). But it's worth doing and the scenery is spectacular.
I don't know how it will be on a Saturday. It ought to be quieter as it's going to be changeover day for many, but you will probably find more weekend Italians etc there.
As pjd says, get there early, snack at Scotoni's, spend the afternoon at Cinque Torri or in the bowl between San Cassiano and Corvara
snow conditions
mini_mo wrote:
This will be our first time in the Dolomites staying in La Villa (ski days mon-sat) skiing over half term. Do you think Saturday would be best to tackle the hidden valley? I was going to use Saturday to do the sella Ronda but now unsure.

Your first challenge will be to beat the queue for the Piz La Ila gondola out of La Villa - this gets rammed especially around ski school start times. However if I remember correctly Saturday was the least busy day for this lift in the morning.
snow report
We often straddle the weekend when in the area and I'd say that Saturday is the least busiest day of the week for skiing. There are lots of changeovers - you just have to look at the vast streams of cars pouring in and out of the villages for evidence of that - and the area isn't near any particularly large population centres to attract day trippers which, in my experience, tend to be limited mostly to coaches for ski clubs coming up from the Po valley and to a lesser extent Austria and Bavaria.
ski holidays
marshall wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
pjd wrote:
Got the usual problem of trying to find a car hire company in Italy that offers winter tyres. I emailed Europcar which offered a package last year with such tyres, but got a dismissive response along the lines that they only offer this facility in countries where they are compulsory.
Don't suppose anyone is aware of any positive developments here with other car hire companies in Italy?

If you fly into Venice, all cars are fitted with winter tyres (of a sort) by law. This was not the case a few years ago but I believe it change three years ago to be mandatory. Last year I confirmed it with Avis.

However, the Ford Kuga they provided had M+S tyres which they said were winter snow tyres. Now I don't want to get into a debate on tyres but M+S are NOT proper winter tyres but they are good enough and you may want to consider a backup of chains-hire as well. I had these on my Landrover freelander and you would slide at slow speeds in light-snow on a hill. However, my Honda Accord with proper winter tyres was flawless. So it may be worth while sending an email to confirm if there are winter tyres or M+S.

regards
Bob

I've been hiring a car in Venice for years. The new winterised law means either winter tyres or snow chains. Very few companies seem to want to let you have winter tyres. So if you want winter tyres book well ahead, make sure you have it in writing and be prepared to pay a fortune. And check the snow chains are the right size for the car. 2 years ago I got caught on an icy corner in the dark with chains that were too small for the car. Nightmare.

Yes, that my experience last year, we were offered cars with winter tyres at Marco Polo, but the extra fees quoted were about €45-50 per day on top of the £21 per day we had already paid, so tripling the overall cost!! So we took the car we had booked with chains in the boot...and thankfully didn't need them! wink
latest report

Dry, high pressure but at least the humidity should continue to be low helping to preserve the runs and enabling snow making in the marginal temperatures. Kronplatz is currently only 19% water content at 1220m. Light wind but temperature is 5.6C.

Should be great skiing weather. Cool
ski holidays
So do you think the hidden valley or the Sella Ronda would be better on the departing half term Saturday which will be the 18th when everyone's leaving rather than arriving?
snow report
Personally I'd go for the Sella Ronda @mini_mo. It's a great experience if you haven't done it before - wonderful scenery with changing views of the Sella Massif, varied and long runs, and the sense of fun in doing a round trip. There are bottlenecks during the week which should be much reduced on a Saturday. The HV is very good but it's just one run. If I were in your shoes I'd just get up very early one morning to do the HV.
ski holidays
For those doing the Hidden Valley if you can't get a lunch table at Scotoni's without having to wait then a good alternative eating place is the Capanna Alpina at the end of the Hidden Valley run. They have friendly staff, a good food selection and you'll probably get a chance to see the restaurant's dogs which are normally sitting on the flat roof of the restaurant watching the passing skiers! Laughing

snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
downhilldai wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

If it's not in Selva then f'k it, why bother? Laughing

You comin' or no? Madeye-Smiley

Doubt it, stag do duties and they're snowphobes Sad
snow conditions
Now reporting 900kms and 383 lifts open Cool
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Now reporting 900kms and 383 lifts open Cool

After about 5 weeks of drought, and the last precip event that brought rain up to 2000m, that's impressive!! snowHead

There was a glimmer of hope of something natural on the first few days of Jan, but even that looks like it's fading now as High Pressure doesn't seem to want to relinquish its hold! Sad

But at least there's potential for plenty of fine weather and many kms of open pistes! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy