Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski - touring but performance..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi kit gurus,

I'm looking for suggestions. I'm after a ski I could fit a touring (frame) binding to.

I'd rather avoid a pure touring ski as I want performance and something that is still fun to ski and that I can take to a resort. I'm not worried about it being particularly light as it will be used for day tours - largely in Scotland. A few years ago I had a pair of Scott Mission skis which I liked a lot and were about 80/90 underfoot.

Anybody have a recommendation?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For day tours why not try Whitedot Ranger carbonlite? I love them, but probably wouldn't suit everybody. Horses for courses and all that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at the Blizzard Zero-G range?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Have a look at the Blizzard Zero-G range?

I owned the missions in on the past and loved them.

I have a pair of Zero G 95s which I really enjoyed skiing this past season. Quite a traditional feel i.e. small camber, little bit of tip rise so coming off DPS wailer 99s these were very different ! Excellent in resort on groomed slopes, excellent in spring off piste, need a delicate touch on more cut up/slushed up snow as the light weight * created some deflection/off balance initially but I soon found the sweet spot. I didnt feel that they were likely to be "playful" "smeary" "floaty" in powder but more likely to reward classic powder technique (but see *). On piste really remarkable - dont need a carving ski anymore !

I would however seriously consider the Scott Superguide , prob in 95, which seems to have a little more rocker ; and the Sally MTN explore in 95 which is a touch heavier (~150gm ? ) but seems reported to cope with mixed conditions well.

*caveat - I was on new touring boots (Scott Superguide with a 125 flex) and a Dynafit binding with little elasticity. Plus I think I should have bought 18x rather than the 178s (Im 185cm and heavy) - was concerned about kick turns.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valhender wrote:
Hi kit gurus,

I'm looking for suggestions. I'm after a ski I could fit a touring (frame) binding to.

I'd rather avoid a pure touring ski as I want performance and something that is still fun to ski and that I can take to a resort. I'm not worried about it being particularly light as it will be used for day tours - largely in Scotland. A few years ago I had a pair of Scott Mission skis which I liked a lot and were about 80/90 underfoot.

BTW unless you already own the frame binding I think you should seriously consider Marker Kingpin, Dynafit Radical 2, Viper or G3 ion - all ski the resort fine. Dyanfit Beast 14 was recently on a special deal at the Piste office c £220 . Ok so you need pin boots - Lange Freetour at the beefy end through Tecnica Cochise/Zero G, Scarpa Maestrale / RS, Scott Cosmos/Superguide all very good inbound /outbounds boots.

Its not just the weight saving in the binding , its the fact that you don't pick up the frame with every stride. On a 1kg frame binding that is 1 metric tonne every 1000 strides .....(I think ! homemade maths!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mishmash wrote:

I would however seriously consider the Scott Superguide , prob in 95, which seems to have a little more rocker ; and the Sally MTN explore in 95 which is a touch heavier (~150gm ? ) but seems reported to cope with mixed conditions well.

+1 for the Superguides. Spyderjon let me try a pair at the EoSB in April, and I kept going back to him to take them out again and again. I could not believe how good the performance was for a touring ski. I had full confidence on them - and was happily chucking them through cruddy messes that I'd normally avoid on my usual trusty pure downhill skis.

They are now top of my list for new skis for myself...

Spyderjon stocks them, so give him a bell, and if you can make it along one of the SH ski tests in October, ask if he can bring along a pair for you to try.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mishmash wrote:
Valhender wrote:
Hi kit gurus,

BTW unless you already own the frame binding I think you should seriously consider Marker Kingpin, Dynafit Radical 2, Viper or G3 ion - all ski the resort fine. Dyanfit Beast 14 was recently on a special deal at the Piste office c £220 . Ok so you need pin boots - Lange Freetour at the beefy end through Tecnica Cochise/Zero G, Scarpa Maestrale / RS, Scott Cosmos/Superguide all very good inbound /outbounds boots.

Its not just the weight saving in the binding , its the fact that you don't pick up the frame with every stride. On a 1kg frame binding that is 1 metric tonne every 1000 strides .....(I think ! homemade maths!)

And +1 to all that too Smile

I changed to the Radical 2.0s for last winter (Scott cosmos boots) and wouldn't go back. Bombproof, and I did waaaay more downhill than uphill. Of course absolutely superb on the uphill too - I love the easier and more natural stride compared to frame bindings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at all the recommendations above, I think quite a few of them will be at the ski tests - so a great chance to try them all back to back. All the dealers and manufacturers who come along with skis are really helpful too - they would no doubt by happy to chat and point out suitable skis for you to try.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fixx wrote:
mishmash wrote:
Valhender wrote:
Hi kit gurus,

oops that should read Vipec not Viper!!

And +1 to all that too Smile

I changed to the Radical 2.0s for last winter (Scott cosmos boots) and wouldn't go back. Bombproof, and I did waaaay more downhill than uphill. Of course absolutely superb on the uphill too - I love the easier and more natural stride compared to frame bindings.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Black Crows Camox Freebird? I've found them fab for day tours and days off the lifts in Scotland, Alps, and Norway. Rocker tip makes a huge difference for heather skiing (strange how that's not part of the advertising chat though?!). I never thought 98 underfoot would be good for touring, particularly on breakable crust, but its a game changer for me.

I'd definitely second the comments about pin bindings. Radical 2.0 fine on piste too. Worth serious consideration perhaps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used the superguides 95 last year and they were great for touring, but i found them wanting a little on hard pack snow. For me i would put them more towards the touring end of down hill performance.

I also have "the Ski" from Scott which i have fitted with a Dynafit Beast 14. I have used this for day tours around Glenshee and 3 days touring around Riksgransen in May. It is also my piste ski. It is heavy but i really felt i had a set up that can ski everything. My first skiing set up was a Scott Mission with a Fritschi Freeride binding and i would say "the Ski" set up i have is the next step up in ski performance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done a fair bit of touring now on my Bent Chetlers, the rocker really lets them glide in deeper snow. Not ideal but for up to 2 - 3 hrs they have been fine. Worth it for the ski down Smile

Kooky has just got some Carbonlite Directors and fitted a touring binding to those Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone, I'm going to have a look at all of those now. The only reason I've not switched to pin bindings is the need to buy new boots, but perhaps I just need to take the hit!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just ordered Dynastar Cham 97's from Jon to tick this box.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Valhender wrote:
I'm after a ski I could fit a touring (frame) binding to.

Quote:
I want performance and something that is still fun to ski and that I can take to a resort. I'm not worried about it being particularly light

On the basis of the above statements, I'd really not worry about looking for a touring specific ski, especially if you're in DH / non-pin boots anyway.
latest report
These: http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104-2016

Updated version of the old CD107s, which are probably the best all round touring skis I've used. Light enough to drag up Elbrus (5642m), solid enough to carve fast pistes, wide enough to play in powder and surf slush.

The 104s are a bit narrower, a bit stiffer and a little less rockered to improve all round performance.

Use frame bindings if they're going to be your only ski, otherwise slap a pair of Kingpins on 'em. Great bindings and very confidence inspiring.

EDIT: I believe in a few days Down will have a 'last chance pre sale pricing' day for anyone who missed the presale earlier in the summer.
ski holidays
I just signed up to the Down newsletter. Hard to know for sure with white text on a white form Laughing
ski holidays
Oh, the bindings on two of my skis are Guardian / Trackers, Kooky has one pair too and has just gone for a lighter Marker version for her new skis. All work with standard boots.
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:
Valhender wrote:
Hi kit gurus,

Isn't that a good thing? People pay good money to go nowhere on an elliptical trainer! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy