Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Just finished day/morning 1. Stuck to Morzine as I put my daughter in creche and didn't want to be far.

Snow was better than I feared. Clearly none in some areas, but Nyon was good as was the red off chamossier (sp). Ranfolly runs weren't too bad either. Slushy getting down to the golf chair and I forgot how much of a faff it is to get to pleney, esp with a number of options withdrawn due to piste closures.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really mixed day. First run our of avoriaz had 2cm powder on hard cordory and flat light but fun to ski until you hit a ridge where the piste basher tracks didn't join. A great run down to Linga top smooth cordory with a little freshie followed by corn snow below Echo Alpin, ooh nice. Upto lunch visibility improved and the pistes got better. After lunch clouds came down and top runs poor visibility. Pushed over to Les Crosets really poor visibility and snow but improved for a while. Back over to Linderats valley and Abriconte hard as couldn't see the shushes. After a quick beer a another couple of runs and back down to Prodains via the red and blue. Another ski season now over for me. What to plan for next year Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, rather duff information from me yesterday about Mt Chery closing as we are back from a lovely morning skiing Praz de Les/Sommand sitting on our terrace and seeing all the lifts open over there. Beautiful sunshine now and that early hour we gain in the morning helped the snow today.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been all over the PdS over the past few days.

Morzine below pleney is poor or closed. The rest was ok and good in places.

Avoriaz was really good throughout my 55 miles today. Particularly if you can time your day around the journey of the sun across the sky.

I got down to Linga, but didn't try Chatel proper. The town looked very very green. But all the runs from Avoriaz to Linga and in between were great.

Popped over to Switzerland and it was in a very sorry state.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Badbobby, Thanks for the report. Off to Chatel for the weekend and glad PLJ and Linga are holding up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Super Chatel was on it last knockings on Sunday.
PLJ, Plaine Dranse, Linga all still good though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, noticeably worse today all over Avoriaz. What a difference a day makes. Also much busier - don't know if that Morzine is so bad that everyone has come to Avoriaz.

As always, forst few hours in the shade are the best, albeit hard pack, but not like ice of new year - I can easily ski this stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So that's me done Sad

Again it was a bit busier on the pistes and they're cutting up earlier in the day whilst also revealing more hard pack.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were over on the Chatel side first thing. Empty pistes for nearly an hour and then it really filled up. There seem to be masses of school parties, maybe being bussed in, and we were back over to Lindarets by 11, having coffee at La Ferme. I am used to being there a little later so happily ordered my glass of Rose as usual, well it slid down easily.
We walked the dog on Mt Chery this afternoon. The chairlifts were running very slowly except when they leapt into life to transport a liftie or pisteur up or down. They are due to close on Sunday but, so we were told, the gondola will run till Sunday 9th and the Belvedere restaurant will be open till then too. Great place for stunning views and a drink, lunch or coffee.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were over on the Chatel side first thing. Empty pistes for nearly an hour and then it really filled up. There seem to be masses of school parties, maybe being bussed in, and we were back over to Lindarets by 11, having coffee at La Ferme. I am used to being there a little later so happily ordered my glass of Rose as usual, well it slid down easily.
We walked the dog on Mt Chery this afternoon. The chairlifts were running very slowly except when they leapt into life to transport a liftie or pisteur up or down. They are due to close on Sunday but, so we were told, the gondola will run till Sunday 9th and the Belvedere restaurant will be open till then too. Great place for stunning views and a drink, lunch or coffee.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pamski, yes, lots of ski school kids. Presume from les gets and Morzine? Lots at Prodains when I uploaded at 9am
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoriaz and Linga holding up well still.
Nice conditions in Sunday from 10:30 - 12:30 ( a bit heavy thereafter )
Most stuff open.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was in Chatel on the weekend. Anything north facing above c. 1600m is ok as expected for spring. The areas in the middle around TS Des Coombes and TS De Cornebois were relatively quiet and snow not too chopped up. Runs leading down to Plaine Dranse were busy and therefore heavier going. The run down to Linderets was awful as are any sun facing runs in that valley. The runs from Avoriaz to Linderets looked thin looking across.

All in all a fun weekend - thighs unusually hurting today from all the heavy snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm looking for French lessons in the Chatel area next winter. I've started a new thread here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3048228#3048228

If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate if you'd post in that thread.

Thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This weekend everything above Plaine Dranse on the Linga side was still good as was Rochassons.
Coup de Monde, Fornet, Crot, Arare (Avoriaz) also fine.
Tannes and Prolays were also ok.
Chaux Fleurie was heavy going, and the bottom of Ardent has been narrowed and was choppy late in the day.
Return run to Pierre Longue as ok, but the run to the bottom of Linga now goes via La Lieche, and the bottom section is a bit sketchy.
All beautifully sunny, but I did not witness the same crowds as Ozboy heading to PD.
snow report
My pal is out there at the moment and says it's just like normal spring/Easter skiing. Amazing considering how little snow there has been this year - they have done really well to keep lots open.

I always head out in April but canceled this year as I didn't think there would be anything left to ski on Embarassed
snow report
@Sunshine81, That is good to hear. I am heading out for the weekend on Thursday and am getting a little worried!
snow report
Just had our final ski of the season, after having a first final ski on Monday with friends, around Fornet and then to Chatel side, with lunch at Babeths...
So completely different today, very very cold first thing, minus 6 when we left the chalet, a couple of runs down Fornet, entirely on our own both times, with a slight dusting of new snow after it was pisted made it perfect. Then down into the Abricotine bowl to find a warm drink, but all the cafes there now closed up, so up the Brochaux, bit of the Blue Velvet as far as the Mossettes and back to Lindarets. Just a couple of cafes open there now. The walk up to the gondola was quite good as warming up. Very very quiet now.
snow report
Just driven back from La Chapelle D'Abondance, this time over the top to Morgins, Swiss motorway to Vallorbe and then up to Pontarlier and D roads through Salins-Les-Bains. About 9 hrs 20 mins inc. 3 stops.

What does the team think is the quickest route back to Calais from Chatel / La Chapelle?
snow report
@Matt1959, in my view follow your route to Pontarlier then Besancon to join the autoroute and Dole, Langres, Troyes, Reims, Calais. Should be 7.5-8 hours driving plus stops assuming light traffic. I usually allow minimum 10 hours from leaving Chatel to my Eurotunnel check in time.
latest report
So what date does the season end in Avoriaz? I've seen both the 22nd and 29th April mentioned online.

If it's the latter then some lucky punters might get a few fresh snow days to finish the season off in style!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, the Avoriaz lifts closed last Saturday, 22nd.
ski holidays
Ahhh shame, @Pamski. The snow gods have a twisted sense of humour sometimes... snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
@Handy Turnip, yes don't they just. We skied on Wednesday for the last time and the snow was brilliant, the temperature though was so cold, great for the snow but not my body!
snow report
Avoriaz looking snow covered again, such a waste!!!!

It's made me more confident about going in Easter next year though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy